PDA

View Full Version : I need everyone on PT's help!!!

moosmom
06-12-2004, 05:27 PM
I was just told by my landlord that I need to reduce my cat population!!! :( :(

Is there anyone here on PT that would be willing to give Fawnie, Doogie or LilEli a home??? I am SO devastated by this, but it's either that or I'm out on the street. :( :(

It seems that when I was in CT, my friend forgot to scoop the litterboxes. The room that the boxes are in is the back room near the back stairs. Next door to me is a new tenant and he complained about the ammonia smell. According to my landlord, he's moving because of this. I have NEVER EVER let the litterbox problem go that long!! As a matter of fact, my friend to came to visit said the never would've known how many cats I had because there WAS no odor!! I'm even thinking of switching back to Feline Pine to absorb the urine smell.

What am I gonna do??? LilEli only knows me. Doogie and Fawnie will be okay in other homes I'm sure. But LilEli I'm afraid will get sick. :( :(

Karen
06-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Is it a condition of your lease? Is there a limit of the number of pets on your lease? If not, try to hang on keeping everything super-clean for a few weeks, then see what he says.

Explain it's not the number of cats that was the problem, it was a baby-sitter's mistake, which will NOT happen again.

This from the landlord who won't throw out the guy who practically burned the place downnn??????

Do you have a lease, or are you a tenant-at-will (month to month).

zippy-kat
06-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Is he going to do a periodic headcount? Will you have advanced notice? Can you board them somewhere for those days?

Cinder & Smoke
06-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by moosmom

It seems that when I was in CT,
my friend forgot to scoop the litterboxes.

What am I gonna do???

How about a Real Serious Chat with the Landlord??

Just tell him the Truth about what happened -
and point out that there have Never been any other complaints.

And be sure to mention it'll Never Happen Again!

Also might help to whip up a Batch of Cookies -
and offer them to the unhappie neighbor as an apology. :)

If he knows the Whole Story - he may forget the move-out idea.

/s/ Phred

catnapper
06-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Um, just why is he reacting to ONE complaint from a new tennant, but not doing anything about the pig who tried to burn down the bulding? He really can't do anything about your cats if he's not doing anything about the bum downstairs.. that would seem to me to be legally wrong. You could say that he's allowing the man downstairs continue because he's a man, but is making you do something because you are a female.

Also, is it possible that the other tenent is using the odor as an excuse to leave? Maybe he realized the bum living downstairs isn't going to get better, and since he knows he can't get out of a lease based upon disliking the guy, he tried to get out based upon an animal smell.

Good luck! the other suggestions were great!

heinz57_79
06-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Ugh... what a horrible situation. I was in a similar one for a while in my old apartment. I was only supposed to have 2 animals, and the managers knew I had 2 dogs. Then, some idiot neighbor told them I had 2 cats as well. :mad: Well, there was no way in hell I was getting rid of Katie and Joey. It wasn't an option. So I had to make do until I found another place to live when my lease was up. I made sure that they didn't get in the window during the day, and was very cautious whenever I had to transport them anywhere.

As was previously asked, is he going to do a headcount? Does he know exactly how many you have? I'd try exlpaining things to him and if he doesn't see it your way, tell him to go &^%$#@! himself and keep them anyway. What he doesn't know won't hurt him! ;) Is there anyway you can find a new apartment with a landlord who isn't such a *bleep bleep bleep*?

Best of luck! If I lived closer I'm sure my gf would be willing to help you out, but hopefully you won't need anyone's help! Keep us posted!

rg_girlca
06-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Um, just why is he reacting to ONE complaint from a new tennant, but not doing anything about the pig who tried to burn down the bulding? He really can't do anything about your cats if he's not doing anything about the bum downstairs.. that would seem to me to be legally wrong. You could say that he's allowing the man downstairs continue because he's a man, but is making you do something because you are a female.

Also, is it possible that the other tenent is using the odor as an excuse to leave? Maybe he realized the bum living downstairs isn't going to get better, and since he knows he can't get out of a lease based upon disliking the guy, he tried to get out based upon an animal smell.

Good luck! the other suggestions were great!

My thoughts exactly.

NoahsMommy
06-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Gosh, Donna...I'm sorry. :(

If I lived close and wasn't way over my limit, I'd help you in a second.

I agree with the others, will he be taking a head count? Can he give you a week "test run"? If this is the first complaint, he HAS to, its not fair with these circumstances...

aly
06-12-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm far away too, but if there's anything I can do, I'm willing to! Just let me know.

thelmalu99
06-12-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this!
As others here have said, maybe the best idea is to have a talk with your landlord and with the neighbor. Explain the situation and promise to never let it happen again. After all, if there has never been a complaint against you before, they should really take your word for it.

I really hope you don't have to give them up!
We've got our paws crossed for you!

Love,
Thelma, Elvis, JD, Yertle and TimTam.

Corinna
06-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Ok I will say it ,with this nerd of a landlord
MOVE OUT your life and the kitties may depend on it. Is your money not as green as the two idiots. One tring to burn you up, and now a whiner.
Serously I have been worrying and praying daily that you find a nice place to move your family to.

leslie flenner
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
take what ever cats you are comfortable with parting with. You can come to my small abode and be assured that all is ok! We can work this out!

catcrazylady
06-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Good grief Donna! Just when things started looking up, but then that is how it goes isn't it?
I have to agree with all the others. There just has to be some way you can explain to him that you have had all of them all this time and you were away when the trouble started. He can't blame you for that. He was really nice to you when you wanted to bury that poor kitty and he seemed to respond well to your complaints about the nasty neighbor. Surely you can reason with this guy and get him to understand what happened.
Please keep us posted and know that we are thinking about you and you are in my prayers. I'm sure somehow this will work out. It just has too!

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-13-2004, 02:14 AM
OMG Donna, how terrible! I pray you can sort something out with your landlord. Try to position it to him that overall you are a good and responsible tenant, and it will be harder for him to find another GOOD tenant like yourself. (I rent out property myself, so I know how important it is to RETAIN a good tenant, and how hit-and-miss it can be finding a new one!!!)

jenluckenbach
06-13-2004, 05:43 AM
OH Donna, please tell me that you are going to try to reason with this landlord! I too wonder how your lease is worded (concerning pets). If moving is an option maybe a fostering situation might work until you can get your babies back.

rosethecopycat
06-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Find someone, close by, that will foster them for a month or two, then sneak them back in.

Rose

moosmom
06-13-2004, 08:54 AM
I found out this morning what REALLY happened.

My sister-in-law told me that my landlord stopped by her office and complained about how many cats I had and that the newest tenant (whose apartment is directly behind mine) complained about the ammonia smell and said he's moving out. She told me that my landlord also told her he was worried about all the car fur on the carpeting (excuse me but cats DO shed!!). She said he also told her that he didn't want to have to evict me.

Well, I talked to my landlord personally this morning. He told me he doesn't care about how many cats I have. He said that the new tenant complained about the catbox smell and did NOT threaten to move out. He said that he thought I was still in CT and that was why he talked to my SIL, because he tought she was taking care of my cats. He apologized saying he would've definitely spoke to me about it had he known. I asked him if I should start looking for another place to live. He said absolutely NOT! He considers me one of his babies (his kids) and worries about me. He just wants me to stay on top of the litterboxes. He told me that this is the very first time in 2 years that the litterboxes have ever been a problem.

I am SO furious :mad: at my SIL right now for lying to me. She's been saying the last couple of weeks that my biggest monthly expense are my cats. That's not true, it's my car payment ($289.00).

I'm sorry for getting you guys all riled up. But I was beside myself trying to figure out what I was going to do. Thanks for your support guys. You are the BEST!!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Thank goodness it worked out for the best!!! I *think* you need to have a chat with your SIL!!!

(((HUGS))) to you and the furkids - glad things are working out OK!!!

catnapper
06-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Whew! I'm glad that you have nothing to worry about concerning losing any of your cats or your home!

I would be angry at my SIL for lying too! Its amazing how some people think they know everything and decide to control your life! As if you'd never talk to your landlord and get the straight story! Sounds as if SIL has your best interest at heart (saving you money) but she's going about it the wrong way. If she was truly concerned about your expenses, there are a hundred ways for her to help you keep to a budget. But the fact remains that your finaces are yours and nothing she should really concern herself about. Sheesh. I once had someone tell me the same exact thing when it was just Nicki! So what if I spend money on her for food and toys? I look at is vastly cheaper than therapy! :D

davidpizzica
06-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Donna, why do these problems happen to a sweetheart like you? I'm SO glad that you were able to clear this up with the landlord. I think you would rather die than to give up ANY of your furbabies!! I know they mean the world to you. Like I said, you are a sweet and special lady!!!

Denyce
06-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Well I am very happy that things are working out right for you in this. I just read this post this morning and was glad that I hadn't seen it until after you spoke to your landlord.

As for your SIL? I think a good verbal slap upside the head is in order. Tell her that perhaps she should volunteer at a shelter somewhere since she seems to have to much time on her hands. That way she would be doing something positive with her excess energy rather than wasting it butting in on someone else's life whom she has no business being in.

Denyce

Steffi N
06-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Dear Donna, I am glad and relieved that you will not lose any of your furbabies or your home. I think it is terrible what your sister in law did, to put you through so much anxiety and worry. I agree that if she is concerned about your financial situation there are better ways to show that than by trying to deceive you into parting with any of your beloved kitties.

Hoping things go more smoothly from now one. You are a special person and deserve it. :)

sirrahbed
06-13-2004, 10:41 AM
((((Donna)))) what a relief for you!!! This has been on my mind! I mean you go of to relax and come home to this news! But, it is over. Now, what to do about SIL? I dunno. Might be best to just dwell on what a GREAT landlord you have!!!! Hopefully SIL does not cross your path for awhile because I would hate for you to be put in jail for assault:eek: j/k
Anyway, ((((Donna))) I am relieved for you!!! Whew!!!

catmandu
06-13-2004, 10:45 AM
My friend with the Siamese Cats boards her Cats with me , and other friends , lets the authorities in , and then eventually brings the Cats back. Is there a place where the Cats could go , for a week , or so?There will be a vacany at The Found Cats, where there are Toys and A Cat Tree!!!!

shais_mom
06-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh Donna, I am relieved to hear the end of this!!!
I would have offered to foster one of them but not sure how they would do with Keegiemonster.
Booooo to you sister in law. What a backstabber!!!

jazzcat
06-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Oh Donna I'm so glad everything is okay. I can't imagine how you could really part with any of your babies.

Ashame people have to do things like your SIL did. I have a rotten SIL who would have probably taken all my cats to the shelter and then told me they were stolen or ran away. I just don't understand people like that.

zippy-kat
06-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Sooooooooo relieved you don't have to rehome your babies! What a scare!:eek:

emily_the_spoiled
06-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Donna, I am so happy that you are able to stay with the entire gang. It sounds like your landlord is a decent sort of man (much better than your SIL). I am glad that you had a talk with him and straightened things out and everyone can stay together...

lynnestankard
06-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Oh Doona what a relief - doing the happy dance here for you!:D :D

Maybe a word with your S.I.L. is in order - what an awful thing to tell you. Surely it's up to you what you spend your money on? ;)

Lynne

trayi52
06-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Donna, I didn't know you was having such a terrible problem. I am sorry you had to go through that.

I am happy to hear you got it straightened out. I really think your SIL should just keep her opinions to herself, you are an adult and know what you can do and not do!

Willie:)

catcrazylady
06-13-2004, 01:50 PM
SHEWWWW! I was so worried about you! I couldn't imagine being in that situation. Having to choose who would go and who could stay.
Heck with the verbal slap uside the head for SIL. I say go for the real thing!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif
I'm so glad everything has worked out. Bless your heart for having to go through that.

moosmom
06-13-2004, 02:11 PM
I talked to my friend Kathy who has ALOT more cats than I do (she owns her own house). She suggested that rather than have all the cat boxes in one room (which is just next to the tenant who complained) that I try and spread them around.

I have two very small closets in my middle room. I put one in each closet. I also have a pantry in my kitchen that is empty and I never use. Two went in there.

I also went to my SIL's house to do laundry. I didn't say a word to her. In fact, I didn't say much to her at all.

Kathy suggested that, eventually I let her know all 3 cats got placed (no one is going anywhere and my SIL NEVER comes over to my apartment, so she'll never know). That will end the endless nagging about how many cats I have.

Oh, and BTW, she's NOT a cat person. But she'll go out of her way to dog sit anyone that asks.

I'm just relieved that it all worked out and I don't have to decide who goes where.

Thank you SO much for all your support guys. You mean the world to me.

PayItForward
06-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Gosh, it was like being on a rollercoaster reading this thread, but I am happy it ended well.

With all the your cats where they belong...home :D

kimlovescats
06-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Oh I hate it so much when people try to "change" someone else by forcing their own will upon them!! :mad: It just doesn't work! You can be an example in your own life, and have opinions ... but controlling someone else will NEVER work!!!

Ok... done ranting now! Donna, I'm glad you dodged this bullet ... I would definitely limit my contact with my SIL, but YOU have to do what is best for you! KEEP your SELF confidence, and live YOUR life as YOU see fit!!!;)

(((HUGS)))

Randi
06-13-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm glad that I read this after you talked to your landlord!! And glad you got it straigtened out! :)

Miss Meow
06-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Is this the sister-in-law whose husband is ill? She's really lost the plot this time. :(

I'm glad it's all sorted out with your landlord.

Cincy'sMom
06-13-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm so glad this has a happy ending for your babies!! I was reading through the first page, trying to figure our how to offer to foster and still deal with my allergies!!!Thankfully by page 2, it wasn't neccesary!!!

As for your sister in law...I don't even know what to say :mad: Some people just need to mind their own business!

Felicia's Mom
06-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm glad you have this worked out!:D

moosmom
06-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Miss Meow,

Yes, this is the SIL whose husband has Alzheimers.

I went there tonight for dinner. Not much was said. I made her think that I was actively looking for homes for Fawnie, Doogie and LilEli. That's all she needs to know. The end.

No one is going ANYWHERE!!!!!!

heinz57_79
06-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I think your SIL needs a swift kick in the tuchas! :mad: I'd be furious! And what business is it of hers how much you spend on your cats?? I say if you want to spend $500 a month on them, it's your perogative! there have been times when I was living on Top Ramen, but was spending over $100 a month on dog food, cat food, chewies, litter, etc.

I'm glad to hear that everything is ok, tho. :D

davidpizzica
06-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Miss Meow,

Yes, this is the SIL whose husband has Alzheimers.

I went there tonight for dinner. Not much was said. I made her think that I was actively looking for homes for Fawnie, Doogie and LilEli. That's all she needs to know. The end.

No one is going ANYWHERE!!!!!! Nope, Donna, I agree! She doesn't need to meddle in how you take care of your furbabies!

AmberLee
06-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Whew. Glad things have worked out.

{{{hugs}}}

IttyBittyKitty
06-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Phew, glad things worked out! I understand why you are diverting her attentions elsewhere, but If I were you, I'd tell her that I did not appreciate her meddling and that the cats are staying, thank you very much!!! My concern would be that she thinks that she has "won" and will therefore meddle again when she sees fit ...

Good luck to you and your big kitty family!

leslie flenner
06-13-2004, 09:51 PM
What a waste of energy and emotion for you! Sound like you told her your not getting evicted right? What did she say to that, "Oh, I must've misunderstood him"???
Tell her you had to put all but 2 of your pets in shelters and they were put down. Let her think about THAT for a while.... I know, 2 wrongs don't make a right, just indulging in childish ideas here! How are you otherwise? You must have had a nice time in CT? I hope the weather was decent! New England weather can be so bad, then good, then bad, day to day!

ramanth
06-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Wow Donna.. I just had a heart attack!

I hope you know that if anything were to happen, I'd take Lil' Eli back in a heartbeat. I'm not sure what he'd think about Kia, but Logan is adjusting and I'm sure Eli would as well. :)

But I'm glad you get to keep all of your crew. :) Give them snuggles for me. :)

moosmom
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Kimmy,

Thank you SO much for your kind offer. Actually, you were the first one I thought of when it came to LilEli. But, as I said, my furbabies are here to stay!!!

Leslie,

I haven't said a word to her about anything. I did mention it to my friend Meri-Ann my conversation with my landlord. Of course, she came to HER defense, saying my SIL only has my best interest at heart. But somehow I get the feeling she does NOT like cats (although she loves Moo, probably cuz he's different). As a matter of fact, when I was talking about moving out here, she said, "So, which cats are you going to bring with you?" I could NOT believe my ears!

I'm just gonna sit on this for a while and say nothing. When she asks (which I KNOW she will) I just tell her it's been taken care of. PERIOD!!

NoahsMommy
06-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Donna,

I cannot believe what your SIL did!!! I know she's been trouble for you in the past with her attitude and you should stay away from her as much as you can. I know she's still family and all that, but if it were me, I wouldn't utter a single word about cats at all, let alone yours.

I'm glad your landlord is there for you and is being cool about it. Maybe the next time you go out of town, you could get some of those disposable litter boxes? That way if the catsitter isn't doing his/her job, there will still be plenty of other options for the kitters and it wont smell?

Poor thing. That whole situation would have really, really pissed me off. People are so dumb!

:) OK, enough sunshine from me.... ;)