PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek Article on Tiny Dogs

BCBlondie
06-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Found this article reading my dad's Newsweek magazine... I'm glad the truth is finally out there! Hopefully people looking for tiny dogs will read the article and decide against getting one. :) (Most 'tiny' dogs come from puppy mills and backyard breeders anyway)

----------------------------------------------------

Pets: Tiny Dogs, Big Divas
by Raina Kelley | Jun 14 '04

Admit it. You may not like Paris Hilton, but you have to agree that her dog, Tinkerbell, is cute. As tiny dogs have become the hottest celebrity arm candy, demand for teacups, or dogs that weigh four pounds or less, has soared. Usually Malteses, Yorkies, Chihauhuas or poodles, they're about as easy to take care of as premature babies. But if you're serious about a tiny dog and have a couple of thousand dollars to spare, here's what you need to know.
Teacups are delicate. A fall off a chair or a big hug from a child can kill them. Seriously. Prone to hypoglycemia, they must be fed every three hours. Puppies need round-the-clock supervision and even grown dogs should not be left alone for more than two hours. And while breeders stress that they're not fashion accessories, the safest place for them is under your arms.
If you're still interested, find a reputable breeder who carefully screens potential owners and avoid "deals" on the Internet. If in doubt, ask a vet or a trainer. Oh, and don't bother with anyone who ships. These aren't dogs that go FedEx. Take our advice: get a hamster instead.
----------------------------------------------

What's your opinion on this article?

K9soul
06-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I agree with it. I think breeding dogs down to so tiny that they are at constant risk of death is awful. I think for a lot of people it's just a cute factor or novelty factor. A normal size chihuahua or yorkie is pretty small, but still large enough to be able to function and though they are at a bit more increased risk I would think than a bigger dog, it still isn't like having a dog the size of a rat, it's just not natural IMO.

Twisterdog
06-12-2004, 05:37 PM
As a groomer, I totally agree with this. A minature or toy poodle is usually quite healthy. A "teacup" ... of which there is really no such thing, it's just an un-naturally small toy ... is most often not healthy at all. I groom one "teacup" poodle that broke it's leg three times in one year, by doing such things as jumping off the couch.

catnapper
06-12-2004, 05:46 PM
I've always wondered about these types of dogs. My sister in law's sister has a perfectly cute and tiny Pug. He's the cutest thing and he can go anywhere. Why not just go with what is already a small dog without pushing the envelope for making it smaller? Why would you want a dog that you have to treat as if it were made of glass?

What type of lifespan do they have? Can they live full, long healthy lives? Or are they subject to a myriad of bred-in problems?

Shelteez2
06-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Like Twister I too know an unnaturally small toy poodle that has broken three of it's legs (at different times) by jumping off the couch.

Another thing to remember is that even if the dog is fairly healthy, something as common as a bout with diarrhea can be quite life threatening as they can dehydrate so quickly.

I personally could never have such a small dog. I'm way too clumsy. And I also believe dogs should be dogs, you know walking around on a leash and what not, not being picked up and carted off all over the place.

trayi52
06-12-2004, 06:44 PM
I really don't understand at all why somebody would want a teeny, tiny dog! There is always a danger of them being stepped on, I have seen that happen to these little tiny babies. Seen a little one fall off a couch, and die later. My brother-in-law had one, and his son hit it in the head with a book, and killed it.

Nooooo, I don't want a tiny one, no way, no how. When I got Buffy, I was scared she was going to end up being really tiny, I was lucky, she weighs about 4 to 5 pounds. I would not want one any smaller than that.

I agree with that article completely.

Willie

dappledoxie
06-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I agree as well, all that will happen if people just think aww that's cute, I want a little dog like hers is go out and get one and then dump it later, when they realize it's not all it's cracked up to be. :( (Like 101 Dalmations) People just need to use their head, you know?

It's also like the "Micro Mini" Dachshunds, awful, just awful. Those and Teacups are just not healthy most of the time, I feel awful for them. Just my thoughts