PDA

View Full Version : a "kid" in the shelter

lute
06-11-2004, 03:26 PM
i just got back from volunteering and when i got there some other volunteers asked me if i had seen the kid up for adoption. having no idea what they were talking about i said no and in the back of my mind i was thinking "human" kid. well,i'm the biggest dork in the world!!!:rolleyes: it was a goat kid! some guy found him on the freeway last night and brought him in. we've never had a goat in there before. he's so young they are still bottle feeding him. he's adorable!

Kfamr
06-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Awwww!!

We have lots of goats at our Humane Society and SPCA. :D I've never seen any baby goats though. :p

ramanth
06-11-2004, 03:49 PM
AWWW! Does he like to head butt? :D

Amber
06-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Awww baby goats are the most cutest things ever.

RobiLee
06-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Baby goats are adorable!!!

lute
06-11-2004, 05:46 PM
AWWW! Does he like to head butt?

i'm not sure. he doesn't move around much. he only a few days old.

heinz57_79
06-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Poor baby! I've always wanted a goat... my gf says when we move into a bigger place she'll let me start expanding my menagerie. ;)

GoldenRetrLuver
06-11-2004, 07:47 PM
We had baby Pygmi Goats at our school a while back.

My friend also owns two goats; named Jubalee, and Dee and keeps them on school campus. :D They're adorable!

lute
06-12-2004, 10:32 PM
i went back to that room agian. he looks so much better then the first day he was there. he isn't quite lively enough to be head-butting,but he's sooooo cute! i think they are gonna move him to the field where they kept the horses in a few weeks.:)

i don't know if i told you,but the highway he was found on is a huge road that in on the interstate. nowhere near a farm! he was obiosly dropped off.:(

MariaM
06-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Awww! :(

Katherine (QueenChyna) has all sorts of animals! They had baby kids a couple weeks ago, they are really cute!

Uabassoon
06-12-2004, 10:48 PM
I love goats, I used to have the coolest goat named Grendel. I used to take him for walks.

trayi52
06-13-2004, 12:08 AM
They make such sweet little pets! I love baby goats. I used to have several goats, and when they had babies, I would milk the goats and feed the babies, it was so much fun. They will actually follow you around like a little puppy dog!

One of them that I milked would unzip my coveralls while I was feeding her babies. She was such a big pet, she was a nubian goat.

Yes they make great pets don't they Laura? I loved having goats around.

My daughter and her husband bought some a couple of months ago, and have some little baby goats too. They are so cute!

Willie:)

lute
06-14-2004, 09:31 AM
One of them that I milked would unzip my coveralls while I was feeding her babies. She was such a big pet, she was a nubian goat.
nubien goats are so cute with thier floppy ears.:D i used to want goats,but i've only lived in a place where i could have them about six months,then we moved.:(

I used to have the coolest goat named Grendel. I used to take him for walks.
i didn't know you could walk a goat. like a dog?

i forgot to put that he's a pigmi.i'm gonna go see him agian tomarrow!

ScoobyDoo-Doo
06-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I've been thinking of adding a goat to my managerie as well. They can be treated like dogs on some level. Depends on how they are raised. If you get them young they do great. We had a few goats on our farm just for eating weeds. They cleaned out an old chicken coop in a week!!!
My best friend neigbor has a bunch of goats. One day we saw one of them give birth to TWINs!! They were adorable.:)
The man who owns these goats sells them to other neighbors for use in making dinner!!!:mad: They make better lawnmowers than stew!:D I still love Goat's milk fudge. :D
I hope the little goat finds a good home and not a BAAAD one. Sorry for the pun. It was just wrong.:D

lute
06-14-2004, 10:54 AM
i could never imagin eating a goat!:eek:

I hope the little goat finds a good home and not a BAAAD one. Sorry for the pun. It was just wrong.
yeah,that was pretty bad.lol

trayi52
06-14-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm with you there, lute, I just cannot eat goat! Though I have tried it, I hated it. I always see these cute little creatures that make such wonderful pets.

Believe it or not, I had one that would follow me everywhere, if I went through the house, it would follow me right into the house. He was just adorable.

The 4th of July is coming up, and here where I live thats is what they eat on that day, Goat! Not me, I just can't imagine eating my pet! Though I don't have goats anymore, I still will not eat them!

Whenever my girls had kids, I always made sure they were not going to a home that they were going to become somebody dinner. I mean I raised these babies on the bottle, and I sure didn't want them to be eaten.

Has anybody ever see a Lamoucha goat? They are so unusual, they do not have ears! But they are just the cutest! I seen my first one several years ago, it was a very large buck, and he stood up on the side of the fence to me, and I had to look up at this guy! I'm not sure I spelled the name right, LOL, my spelling has really gotten bad as I have got older.

Uabassoon
06-14-2004, 12:52 PM
i didn't know you could walk a goat. like a dog?

Yup, I just put him on a halter and leash and we would walk around. I think he was a nubian/boar (not sure if that's how it's spelled) mix. I'll have to look around for some pictures.

Grendel looked almost like this goat. This is Lola, my dad got her from an FFA student that couldn't care for her anymore.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4df27b3127cce85bc6424bbb70000001610

lute
06-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Lola is so cute!

Has anybody ever see a Lamoucha goat?
i have never heard of those before. i'll have to look up on them. they do sound very interesting!:D

i was wondering. what do goats eat? do they only eat grass?

trayi52
06-14-2004, 04:42 PM
They eat grass, bushes, if you want a piece of land cleared out, and it is grown up, they will really do a good job of it.

Wow, it has been so long since I owned goats! I used to milk them. My husband always said, don't feed him goats mild because he could always tell the difference. LOL, I fooled him everymorning for a week! I fed him Goat milk and he never could tell it! He was so shocked, and didn't know what to say after i told him that he had been drinking it for a week!!

They used to say that goats would even eats cans, I have never seen one eat can, maybe the paper off of cans is all they were interested in. Mine got green pasture, and of course goat feed, twice a day, when I was milking them. Yeap, I milked them twice a day. They were the sweetest things, and funny how attached to you they become. I kept my girls until they went to rainbow bridge. Just couldn't bare to part with them, even when they grew old, and was producing milk anymore.

They are just the biggest babies you have ever seen.

Hey if you find a picture of the Lamaucho, post it. I would really like to see one again, as it has been so many years!

ComedyDevil
06-14-2004, 04:56 PM
That would be the LaMancha goat :D

La mancha - (pronounced la-mon-cha) can be recognized as the goats with "no ears". They really do have ears but they are very small. These goats have an excellent dairy temperament, and are very productive. Lamanchas are the only breed of dairy goat that originated in the United States and are very friendly.

http://www.emotionalgoat.com/lamancha.gif

http://www.prismportal.com/silverstreams/show/images/pandemoniumplacesnow.jpg

Hope the pics work :p

trayi52
06-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the pictures! It has been a long time since I seen one. I believe it on the friendlest part. That one I saw, when we walked up to the fence, he reared up on his back legs and just started licking us like a puppy would do!

Aren't they just the cutest guys? They are so unusual! I would love to have goats again! It was so much fun taking care of them.

lute
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
wow! those are really unique goats! they are still cute though!!!:D

they just had a goat show here not too long ago i wanto to go,but couldn't make it.:(

trayi52
06-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Lute, when I first these goats, I thought, Omg, they are so ugly! I was used to having the Nubians and the Alpines. Then the longer I looked at them, the better I like them! I guess you could say they just grew on me, LOL!

I remember we borrowed a big Nubian Buck from a friend. We had this old bus, that was made into a camper, and we hauled him in that bus to our pasture, we needed a breed goat for ours.

Well I don't know if you have ever smelled a great big buck before, but this guy would make your eyes water!

When we got him to our home, and we all piled out of that bus, I know the scent of him was on us, and I swear we were stinking so bad! That fellow was so strong, the whole neighborhood smelled of him. He fell in love with my two nubians, Sweet Pea, and Brightex.

Brightex was the one that would zip my coveralls up and down, such a sweet doe, it was like she was taking care of me for taking care of her babies! I have pictures of these does somewhere, I wish I could find them and post them.

I need to shut up, or I'll be trying to get my hubby to get me more goats!

Willie:D

lute
06-15-2004, 01:21 PM
trayi52, unfortinatly i have smelled a buck before. i wish i hadn't!LOL
the oddest place i've seen goats was in a bed of a truck.there were about 8-9 goats that were tied together. it was a once in a lifetime sight.:D