PDA

View Full Version : We now have a cat basket...

AmberLee
08-06-2001, 05:34 PM
One of the local craft stores is having a sale on wicker laundry baskets right now and I couldn't resist getting one. Wasn't quite sure what I'd do with it, but was sure it would come in handy some time, right?

I left it in the living room while putting the rest of the shopping away. Of course, there was a napping cat in the basket when I got back there. (You all saw this coming a mile away, right?) Off and on all weekend the furkids took turns napping in the cat basket. (It's not quite big enough for two, apparently.) Watching Olivia daintily climb in while trying not to tip the basket is particularly hysterical. Now I'm trying to decide whether to get more for other rooms!

One of the founding members of Fur Addicts Anonymous (maybe we need an annex for Fur Addicts and Shopaholics Anonymous!)

wolflady
08-06-2001, 06:08 PM
Amberlee, what a great idea! I've been meaning to look into getting some cat beds, since my babies currently like to curl up in a box lid :D but a basket would look nice sitting in the family room, or anyroom! How cute. Try and snap a pic of your babies in the basket if you can! :D

Gio
08-07-2001, 10:42 AM
I have quite a few of those for my cats. I have three on the terraced balcony, the funny thing is if one cat is in one, the other two want to use the same one without casting a glance to the other baskets :D :D

Ginny
08-07-2001, 12:50 PM
Our cat Misty loves laundry baskets. Empty or full she will lay in it. She hates it when I have to take care of the laundry. I got her a real nice pet bed but she prefers the laundry basket. So figure that? :p

4 feline house
08-07-2001, 01:24 PM
About ten years ago I was looking for an attractive way to store my son's Nintendo, since our little TV stand at the time barely held to TV and the brand new VCR. I was at Michaels and they had a sale on baskets. I chose a large handled basket and kept it by the TV. It worked perfectly - the console, games, controllers, etc where attractively out of direct view. Eventually, he got the newer nintendo and we got a larger stand, so now all the electronics and equipment fit on the stand. So now the basket holds the newspapers until they are ready to be bundled and taken to the Humane Society. However, through the years, the cats have found the basket to be quite attractive, too - whether or not the nintendo was in it, whether or not it's got newspapers in it! In fact, when my current kitties were kittens, they loved to jump up to the handle and hang! If I ever get a scanner, I will eventually post a picture of this!

Also, a few days ago, my son left his laundry basket in the living room. This is one of those cheap, little round plastic ones that he uses to take his laudry in and out of the laundry room. The reason it is still in the living room is becuase it has always had a cat in it since he put it there - even Big who is WAY TOO BIG! At the same time, my HMO sent me a box of asthma and diabetes supplies, and before I could even get it emptied there was a cat in it! So it's still in the living room, too, but it's getting torn up pretty quickly because once again Big keeps getting in it and he's WAY TOO BIG! :D

AmberLee
08-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Another common denominator! It's going to be a while before I get the photo, though. Kept trying last night, but the cats kept jumping out of the basket whenever I sidled in with the camera. :D :rolleyes: :D Perhaps I can get it posted when I get back from an upcoming business trip... (fur-babies in the suitcase while I try to pack, of course.)

thelmalu99
08-08-2001, 01:07 PM
I have a decent sized basket at home and I tried making it into a bed for Charlie a few months ago, but he showed no interest.
I put it up in the closet and forgot all about it. I think I'll bring it down and try with Elvis and Danny. Thanks for reminding me!

thelmalu99
08-08-2001, 01:42 PM
Chuck,
They're doing well, thanks for asking. They don't fight, but Elvis doesn't have much patience with Danny, the "young whippersnapper." :D
Sometimes Danny runs up all happy, trying to play with him and Elvis just thumps him one on the head. He doesn't scratch him or anything, but I feel bad for poor Danny. Elvis seems to be getting better, though. In the beginning, he didn't want to cuddle with me together with Danny, but he seems to be getting a little better. He's starting to learn to share me. LOL.
The people at the shelter said that two are better than one because they play together and keep each other company. Maybe that will eventually happen, but for now I think "The King" needs some time. :)

lizbud
08-08-2001, 02:06 PM
Amberlee, i have 4 cats myself & known they
love any kind of basket or box to climb into.
Usually one kitty at a time with the others
waiting for their turn to explore..
Thelmalu Hi..i didnt know about Elvis or Danny. Please tell me all about them or at least point me to the post that intro'ed
them to POTD. i'm so happy for you..

thelmalu99
08-08-2001, 02:20 PM
Hi Lizbud,
It's in Cat General. The thread is called New Babies and was posted on Aug 2. :)

nsweezie
08-09-2001, 12:51 PM
My cat Scooter sleeps in a dog bed. He just loves it so much, but he will not share it with Clyde. In fact, once Clyde tried to sleep in it, and Scooter caught him and tried to rip the bed apart.
I bought Clyde a "kitty tent" which he really likes

Catcrazed
08-09-2001, 02:42 PM
My fiance works at Steak-Out, and he he brings home all kinds of packaging for our professional snoozer to test.

Harley
08-10-2001, 07:17 PM
I have an 11x13 wicker basket on the floor of the living room that my babies like to curl up in. It's quite cozy - especially for Bo, who has a little "overhang." There's even a pretty burgandy towel in the bottom of the basket - kitty comfort is of utmost importance, of course.

4 feline house
08-11-2001, 08:29 AM
Well, my son was finally able to retrieve his laundry basket. But that's only becuase there's a new addition to the collection....

Yesterday was my last day at my job (I start my new job Monday) so I got a copy paper box top to carry home all my stuff. Of course, when I got home, I put everything away and threw the box lid on the floor, because I could already see Biggie eyeing it! Sure enough, a cat has been in it since. So now the Aetna box and the copy box lid are adorning the living room, each with a cat. And of course, the newspaper basket is still occupied frequently. Funny, the fuzzy comfy cat beds that are lying alongside the boxes are strangely empty lately.......

Pam
08-11-2001, 08:44 AM
Leah congratulations on the new job! You had mentioned it before and now it's only a matter of days. Lots of happiness and success in your new venture! I know exactly what you mean by the copy boxes! I have brought the nice red Staples copy paper boxes with the nice lids home from work many times to use in straightening up and organizing the basement. The minute the lid is off, there's a cat inside the box and sometimes they are both inside the box! Too cute!

AmberLee
08-30-2001, 02:42 PM
Okay, photos are in the shop of the cats in the basket. Coming soon to a monitor near your computer. :rolleyes: :D Once I get coordinated, at least.

thelmalu99
08-30-2001, 04:50 PM
Yesterday at lunchtime, I was walking down the street with my co-worker and I spotted someone from the grocery store throwing out a HUGE basket. It's one of those large oval ones that grocery stores and farmer's markets use to display fruit. Anyway, I hurried over and grabbed it thinking that this would make the perfect pet bed. It's really large and will fit both cats easily (assuming, that is, that they will sleep in it together). The edge on one side is kind of damaged, but I figure I can make a liner for it that goes over the edge with elastic. That will cover the damaged area. It's really not so bad and it's a lovely basket.
I took it home and cleaned it up and lined the bottom with a rag rug for the time being. They seemed really curious and did go inside and check it out. I think that they will really appreciate it in the winter, but right now it's kind of warm and they have been napping a lot on the bare floor.
I'm so happy because I have seen baskets that were much smaller for like forty and fifty bucks! :eek: I really scored!

AmberLee
08-30-2001, 05:37 PM
Fantastic! I think your guys will love it when things cool down. :D :D

Pam
08-30-2001, 05:38 PM
Great find Thelmalu!!! I had a really nice wicker basket when Trevor was a kitten that I used to store magazines in. The operative word is "had." Trevor used to climb in there for napping so I took the magazines out so he could be more comfortable. I began to notice that the basket was getting chewed on. It seems that napping wasn't all that he was doing in that basket. It wasn't very expensive so it didn't really bother me too much. When it got really ratty looking it wound up in the trash. If your basket meets the same fate at least you didn't spend $40! Way to go! ;)

sailorsaturn
08-31-2001, 12:05 PM
My cat never took en interest in them. but if your cats like em I say go for it :D

4 feline house
08-31-2001, 08:14 PM
I have two "kitty kups" that I got out of a catalogue many years ago. They're plush, bowl-shaped beds. All of my cats that I have had since having the kups have slept in them, at least from time to time. But there have always been the ones that just love them - of the two tuxes and two stripes I have now, the two stripes are always in them, sometimes both of them in one. They like them so well, they have been known to curl up in them even when I have them in odd places - like on the coffee table when I'm picking up to get ready to vacuum! My son was kicking around the room once (practicing his hand stands! :eek: ) and knocked one of them into the other. A while later there was Pepper, sound to sleep on top of the "stack"! They'll sleep in them when they get knocked over on their sides (kinda like sleeping in a tent!) and have even been known to sleep on top of them when they are completely upside down! They just love those kups!

aguu
09-17-2001, 12:11 PM
My hubby got a new race seat for his race car and he brought it inside until it was to be installed in the car. It's a sort of "bucket" seat, it looks like an oversized baby seat. Well within about an hour, there was a curled up kitty in it - of course! We were joking that maybe now Jake will go racing if he wants to keep his spot!

NoahsMommy
09-18-2001, 01:21 PM
oooh! I bet Noah would love a basket! Great idea!! Thanks! :D

AmberLee
10-31-2001, 04:43 PM
View of Livvy in a basket:

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/1z/R3/HU/Z880884.jpg

{How long did it take her to get that film processed? -- Shocking! :D :eek: :rolleyes: }

AmberLee
10-31-2001, 04:45 PM
View of Cassy in a basket (same comment as above! :o ) :
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/005/s8/Rm/YF/YZ96301.jpg

thelmalu99
10-31-2001, 04:53 PM
Hee, Hee! What cuties!
Elvis LOOOOOVES his basket too. I put it next to the heater and lined it with an old blanket, so he's in Heaven! He doesn't even let Danny get in there with him, and the basket's definitely big enough!
He's just a little possessive! :rolleyes:

AmberLee
10-31-2001, 04:56 PM
Ooh, I'd love to see a picture of "The King" in his basket. Could you post one?

Cougie Wechsler
10-31-2001, 05:01 PM
Oh Cassy and Livvy are sooooo adorable! how proud you must be, they are too cute in their baskets.

thelmalu99
11-01-2001, 12:23 PM
AmberLee,
Next time I'm taking pics of them, I'll be sure to get a basket shot. For now, here's El with his favorite catnip toy. :)

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/m1/bm/rC/XE95281.jpg

catwoman
11-01-2001, 12:34 PM
Wow, Thelma ... Elvis is QUITE the looker! :cool: He is living up to his famous name ... :D

Dianne

thelmalu99
11-01-2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Dianne!
I posted pics of him and Danny on Oct. 26. It's in Cat General and the thread is called PICTURES!!
T

Maresche
11-01-2001, 01:31 PM
About a month ago, my hubby and I adopted a new kitty from the shelter we volunteer at. She's a DLH and needed to be shaved to get rid of a few mats. As a result she was so cold, she had to be in your lap or in front of a heat vent or else she'd begin to shiver. We bought her a dog sweater :D and she okay with that for a bit, but eventually took it off and went back to the heat vents, laps and shivering. :(
About 2 weeks ago we bought her a cat bed with the idea of putting in front of the heat vent in our bedroom for her to sleep (she really doesn't like the bed :eek: ). Silly Hana-chan wouldn't have anything to do with it for days. I finally sprinkled a little catnip in there and she hardly ever leaves now :rolleyes: ! Anytime we can't find her, she's in her basket.