PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinion Asap Fiv/leuk

lv4dogs
06-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I should of posted this under health but I need opinions ASAP,
We get more veiwers here.

My cat went in to get spayed today, also re-tested for leuk/fiv as she got out once & also was too young for the FIV test before

anyways I always said if she is possitive I will pet her to sleep, I know it is very very sad BUT I worked at a vets & volunteer at shelters, there are just way too many healthy cats being put to sleep & waiting for homes. And even though I would try to keep her inside she may get out and therefore may infect other cats. Also I would never be able to foster another cat again.

Well this am when I dropped her off I said to spay her anyways if she is possitive. I changed my mind cause my heart got to me. Was this wrong? I still firmly believe in putting her to sleep, I guess I just conterdicted myself cause it came down to me & not someone else.

If she is possitive I would kick myself in the butt if I got her spayed & kept her, risking the chance of not infecting others & I would also kick myself in the butt if I put her to sleep.

Please what you do?

heinz57_79
06-11-2004, 12:06 PM
A friend of mine had a cat who had Leukemia, and to this day she still cries when she thinks about her. They kept her alive as long as they could; IVs, force feeding, watching her waste away to nothing. When they finally put her down it really tore her up, but she says now she wishes she had put her down much sooner than they did. It wasn't pretty watching Kitty die. I know if it were me, I'd probably put my cat down, as much as it would break my heart. I don't think I could handle watching any of them go down hill that way. It would be better to have them PTS than to know that their quality of life is so low.

On the bright side, hopefully she's not positive so you won't even have to make the decision. :) Keep us posted!

catcrazylady
06-11-2004, 12:34 PM
If I had to deal with the terrifying positive I wouldn't put any of mine down until they started getting sick. As long as the quality of life was still good then I would hang on to them for as long as possible. I wouldn't let my cat suffer though if it started getting really sick.

PayItForward
06-11-2004, 01:00 PM
We have been though this several times :(

Sadly I believe that it is best for positive cats to be put to sleep. No more suffering and they are no longer infecting other cats :(

Fingers crossed that you don't have to make this decision.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I know there are many many cats out there that are positive and living good long lives. I don't think you should feel guilty at all.

lizzielou742
06-11-2004, 02:34 PM
As I can see from your other post, glad it worked out OK for Meko!