PDA

View Full Version : a home for a cat

weiwei_uk
06-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Hi everyone :)

We are planning to adopt a cat from a local shelter. I understand that our house will be vetted before they let us adopt a cat. I don't know whether it is suitable or not for a cat. Can anyone help and advise us on this matter? What sort of house is not suitable for a cat?

Thanks!

William

emily_the_spoiled
06-11-2004, 07:06 AM
From your login name it looks like you might be living in the UK. The best person to ask for advice in that area is Paysitforward and Paysforit. I lost track after they adopted 6 cats from the local shelter :D :D

catmandu
06-11-2004, 09:04 AM
They will go over the house , just to see , if there are things that could be dangerous to Cats , and let you know!

weiwei_uk
06-11-2004, 11:09 AM
thanks for the reply :)

lynnestankard
06-11-2004, 01:07 PM
William - Welcome to Pet Talk - great place to hang out!

Normally Shelters just check up that your house is OK to home the cats.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy giving a 'furrever' home to a new fur baby.

Lynne

PayItForward
06-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
From your login name it looks like you might be living in the UK. The best person to ask for advice in that area is Paysitforward and Paysforit. I lost track after they adopted 6 cats from the local shelter :D :D
Hmm we are up to 7 cats with one on the way.

We have adopted 3 cats from the RSCPA, Sheffield, 2 cats from The Cat Shelter, Sheffield and 2 (1 RB now) cats from Haworth Cat Shelter. Found one cat under a neighbours Bramble bush. Lastly adopted one over the internet !!!!

None of the charities visited our house but they all had us sign legally binding contracts which state they have the right to visit us at home when they like.

RSCPA are meant to have a 3 cat maximum rule, but they let us take Tigs (#6) as they knew we took good care of our cats.

Willam,

I would ensure that you make sure your home has no plants which are harmful to cats, that all valued breakables are in cupboards and that there is no trailing cables etc.

Outside it is important that you are not on or very close to a main road and you must lived more than 1/4 mile away from the nearest motorway.

Also shelters want to know that you understand the committment of owning a cat for the next 20 years or so.

(Yes, idiots DO let cats out if they live next door to a motorway :( )

weiwei_uk
06-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
I would ensure that you make sure your home has no plants which are harmful to cats, that all valued breakables are in cupboards and that there is no trailing cables etc.

Outside it is important that you are not on or very close to a main road and you must lived more than 1/4 mile away from the nearest motorway.

Also shelters want to know that you understand the committment of owning a cat for the next 20 years or so.

We live in Weymouth, which is miles and miles from Motorway :)We do not have plants except for fresh cut flowers, and we have no valuables in the cupboards :p so that's all sorted, but still need to work on trailing cables.

We plan to redecorate the bahroom and living room in August-September so the adoption will have to wait after the house is back in order.

BTW, lots of cats in this neighbourhood. One of them often comes over and stays for a little while (but not long enough).

Thanks again for the valuable inputs and warm welcomes everyone!

William

jenluckenbach
06-13-2004, 05:46 AM
I just want to wish you luck on adopting your cat (or 2 or 3.....). I will be waiting anxiously to see and hear about them.....errrr I mean he or she ;)

catcrazylady
06-13-2004, 07:52 AM
I have no advice but I do want to welcome you to PT. It's a great place for advice or just showing off your kitties. Please keep us updated and show us lots of pictures when you get your new kitty.
Thanks for adopting from a shelter because those poor babies really need a home.

lynnestankard
06-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by weiwei_uk
.....We plan to redecorate the bahroom and living room in August-September so the adoption will have to wait after the house is back in order.William

OH NO!! Get the kitty first and let him help!!!!!!! Great fun!
:D :eek: ;) :D

Lynne

weiwei_uk
06-13-2004, 04:06 PM
everybody seems to have more than one cat here and janluckenbach... mother of 15? wow... :)
I thought PayItForward held the record with 7.

Anyway, I promise I will post the pics of our first cat in October.

William

catnapper
06-13-2004, 04:17 PM
PT should come with a warning label: **Warning, posting here can and will up the number of cats in your home! :D **

Welcome William! I have nothing else to add regarding preparing yourself and your home for a new cat. I just re-did rooms in my house and I must say that both my boys were such big helpers. ;) Actually, they didn't get one drop of paint on them while they spent the whole day in the room with me, while Nicki managed to get half her side covered after just one visit :rolleyes:

Oh, and WELCOME to PT... its addictive!

Randi
06-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Welcome to PT, William! :) Hope you'll enjoy being here. I'm glad to hear you want to adopt a cat from a shelter, they all need loving homes. :)

I'm danish and have only one cat (see avatar) .... well, and one in our backyard. PayItForward has given great advise, so if you keep that in mind, you're on the right track! :)

PayItForward
06-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by weiwei_uk
everybody seems to have more than one cat here and janluckenbach... mother of 15? wow... :)
I thought PayItForward held the record with 7.

Anyway, I promise I will post the pics of our first cat in October.

William
William, I'll warn you about Pet Talk 'cat increasing' properties :)

We had just ONE cat when we joined :eek:

PS. Jen is fostering our #8 cat Annie due to fly to UK in October 04. That is how determined Jen is too get her fosters homes ;)

PPS. Where about in the country are you ? We are in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

jenluckenbach
06-13-2004, 05:24 PM
PS. Jen is fostering our #8 cat Annie due to fly to UK in October 04. That is how determined Jen is too get her fosters homes
William, I can send someone along to England with Annie in October for YOU to adopt ;)

catnapper
06-13-2004, 05:44 PM
William, she'll do it too! My Pouncer was one of her foster cats! :D Her powers of persuation are legandary! :D :D

sirrahbed
06-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
William, she'll do it too! My Pouncer was one of her foster cats! :D Her powers of persuation are legandary! :D :D
Yes, I mentioned *maybe* looking for an adult orangie and she and several others here on PT bombarded me with precious ORANGIE pictures and stories and suddenly my signature block grew:eek:
ORANGE is best in my opinion:D

Uabassoon
06-13-2004, 07:17 PM
William when I adopted Tibby they came to the house first to check it out. It wasn't anything too bad, they really just wanted to make sure I was a decent person. They just wanted to make sure I wasn't some type of crazy drug addict and that my house looked somewhat normal.

weiwei_uk
06-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
William, I can send someone along to England with Annie in October for YOU to adopt ;)
thanks :) but I think I will addopt one from the local shelter Jen.

Originally posted by sirrahbed
ORANGE is best in my opinion
I like orange, but I also like black, grey, white, blue, or any combination :p

Originally posted by PayItForward
Where about in the country are you ? We are in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.
We're in Weymouth, Dorset.

Thanks again everybody for your replies. Hopefully there'll be a new addition to this house in October and I will post a new thread in October with a picture of the cat :)

William