PDA

View Full Version : So, is everyone on here friends?

teenster3
06-11-2004, 01:28 AM
Blowing off some steam here...
Is this a place where many people come to chat to one another? Or, do you just have your selected people that you talk to and that's it?
It seems that many times I try to get advice,it's either just looked over several times (and that's ok) or if I'm lucky a few people will respond. Sometimes, I'm just looking for someone to talk to. I try to jump in when I've either experienced something or think a picture is cute or whatever. I just feel that this isn't a very "warm" environment. I even signed up for the gift swap (never even hearing or knowing much about it). Now, I'm starting to wonder if I should have. I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself. Maybe there's just not many people in my age group (late 20's) on here.
Hmmm.....well, I've been trying & now that I've signed up,I intend to keep my name in the swap and fullfill my part of the agreement. I just hope that goes well.

Kfamr
06-11-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm rather confused by what you mean.
Personally, i've never even seen any threads made by you. And maybe that's my fault, although I do view and try to respond to mostly everyone's threads.

Some of my bestfriends on here are in their late 30's, and i'm only 16. Just stay around for a while, share your pets with us, and i'm sure you'll make alot of friends.

Pretty much, everyone's friends with everyone here.

BTW, I'm here if you'd ever like to talk. :)
also, I really appreciate you signing up for the Gift Swap. :)

Aspen and Misty
06-11-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I'm rather confused by what you mean.
Personally, i've never even seen any threads made by you. And maybe that's my fault, although I do view and try to respond to mostly everyone's threads.

Ditto. I try to respond to everyone's threads. But I also have seen no threads made by you (that I can re-call).

Signing up for the gift swap was a good idea. It will help you to get to know and become closer to the person you send the gift to.

I am also 16 like Kay and I have to agree, some of my more closer friends on here are older.

Just keep posting. Post lots and lots! Thats my biggest tip. Also, people LOVE when you comment on there pets. And although it may not seem like it, people do notice when you post.

Ash

lbaker
06-11-2004, 05:36 AM
It took me awhile to feel "part" of PetTalk, it seemed like everyone knew everyone's real name and I had no clue. Don't fret.. it comes with the time you put in I guess. We do support our own a bit more than "newbies" maybe, but everyone welcomes everyone - if that makes sense.. Sometimes it's days between when I come onboard and I miss alot, it doesn't mean you are being ignored. We are a very large family and you are welcome to it!
Laurie
By the way, I'm in my upper 50's but have met Ash and several other PT'ers at meetings and that's the BEST way to become real friends. If it can be managed. * hi Ash *

Pam
06-11-2004, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way because this really is a very friendly board. I don't think I have ever read one of your posts but would certainly like to in the future! :) I am in the same age group as Laurie, and I do believe that there are more folks here your age than us "older gals." (Sorry Laurie! LOL!) Stick around and I know you will grow to love it here. Us Pet Talkers love pictures so if you could post a few it would help us get to know you quicker. Sometimes it helps to place a furry face with a human so we can make that "family connection." Once again, my apologies to you for feeling left out. Please stick around. :)

lynnestankard
06-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Teenster sorry you're feeling 'left out'. Stick with it and you'll soon feel one of the family! I must admit I'm a 'cat' person and tend to only go to the Cat section and General - oh and if I remember Dog House on Thursday for a chat in the pub! (Darn - I forgot last night!)
Please stay with us and I hope the 'newie' feeling soon wears off!

WELCOME.

Lynne

anna_66
06-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Well I wouldn't say everyone on here is friends but one thing we all do have in common is our love for our pets:)

I looked back at some of your posts but didn't see you mention the names of your dogs (but then I seen them in your profile-duh:o). For me that's one thing that really helps me remeber people and their pets is hearing their names. Do you have any pictures of Wicket and Waffles? As I'm sure you know by now we just adore pictures too:D

I'm glad you signed up for the gift swap, maybe that will help you feel more like part of the group & get to know people.
I think you just need to post more (ok maybe not as much as me-I'm a big blabbermouth:p), that also helps.

Hope to see you around more:D

Katiesmom
06-11-2004, 08:02 AM
I don't know I have been here for about 6 months now and haven't made one friend and I have posted but I still like it around here....I love to read the post and look at the pics....So I just don't post much anymore don't see much use in it...sometimes I posted to get things off my chest and sometimes I posted hoping to make friends but that never happened so I pretty much stay in the background lurking around.....:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-11-2004, 08:03 AM
I have loads of really great friends here, and most of them are not in my age group. PT IS a great place, but it does sometimes take a while to feel at home. Not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but I have found the boards have been VERY quiet lately!!

I may not have seen too many of your posts, as I tend to "skim" through general and spend most of my time on the "Cat Side" as I have two cats (I notice you have two dogs - so we probably havent bumped into each other much!)

KEEP POSTING!!:D

sirrahbed
06-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Hi Teenster,
I can understand the feeling:) It does take awhile to get to know people and many have been here a LONG time! Some have even met in person! I tend to stay in Cat General myself since all I have is cats - but coming here to General has been great to meet new people. Already you have some good advice-
1) admire people's pets with a comment - everyone likes that! and it isn't hard to do with all the cute ones here!!!
2) if you can, help us get to know YOUR pets - either with stories or pictures.
3) one thing I do is actually keep a list of screen names and as I learn real names I write them down with notes about which pet belongs to which person and what their age is, etc:D
4) *I* am 49:D
5) the gift swap was a great idea! I never did that before either and I am also signed up.
6) I have been here almost a year and I still don't know very many people;)
7) start a brand new thread or poll! That is always fun:D

cali
06-11-2004, 08:58 AM
I think what she means is that some people can post something and get 30 replies in 1 hour, while other can post something and maybe, just maybe get 2 replies. I have noticed it a lot too, only certain people get replies while others are all but ignored.

teenster3
06-11-2004, 09:09 AM
I have to agree with "Katiesmom" on this one but, I don't only want to "lurk around" in the background. I agree it's great to comment on someone's pet. Or when people even ask for prayers, I will respond not even knowing them & they seem to appreciate that. All that I'm asking for is, to get the same respect as someone that has been on here for a long time. It just seems like when someone you know writes it's easier to respond right? That's fine too. But, what about us who ARE new that do not have any "friends" here. I'm just speaking for myself here but, you tend to feel a little left out. (like your story isn't as important)
Some of you have said that you haven't seen my threads. That's ok but, obviously I have made some attempts & there have been times like I said, that people will respond, like here!
I don't know maybe I'm getting too wrapped up in this. I just thought it'd be nice to chat with people you don't see every day & maybe click with someone, blow off some steam, etc!

teenster3
06-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Thank you "Cali".....
That's exactly what I feel a great deal of the times that I post. Now I know it's true because, many of you haven't seen a thing I posted and some of them were "BIG" issues to me! (dog abuse, my dad having prostate cancer, what to do about my dog's nose, etc.) I have even done polls, asked questions to get people to open up. Yet still, many people "look" but, don't say a word. How am I going to meet anyone or "get to know you" if you don't even respond???

teenster3
06-11-2004, 09:22 AM
blah blah blah.....see I can really talk when given the chance.
Just wanted to add....I LOVE the pictures all your pets!!!!! I don't have any pictures yet, still have to learn how to do that.

Randi
06-11-2004, 09:26 AM
teenster3, don't give up yet. :) When I joined PT, I started with a thread about rescuing cats, and soon after, I got replies. I was thrilled about it, as I'd never been on a Forum before.

Within a month or two, I started getting PM's and got to know people a little better. :) Of course, you'll always get to know the ones best who have the same animals, or interests as yourself, but that's just fine - so keep on posting and tell about yourself and your pets! ;)

If you want to talk to memebers about your own age, take a look at this thread where members tell what age they are.

What age? (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=17957&highlight=your+age)

There are a few more.

Also, if you see someone post and you feel "connected" because of the same interests etc. you can always send them a PM and see what happens. :D

sirrahbed
06-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Randi
If you want to talk to memebers about your own age, take a look at this thread where members tell what age they are.

Hey Randi!! Good idea! I think we need this at General:D I am off to see if I can figure out how to do it....;)

DJFyrewolf36
06-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Its easy to feel ignored on a message board with lots of people. PT Has many many many members who ALL post at least ocasionally. I've had threads burried because it always puts the threads in order of the last time someone posted and someone *lots of someones lol* could have posted to my thread earlier that day and I just missed it cause it got burried due to other people responding to other threads and I was too lazy to look on page 2 or 3 lol. People also miss threads this way because a lot of times people just look at the first page of posts. Thats how threads get unseen and unresponded to. If I put a new thread or I find a thread Im really interested in following I just turn email notifiacation on so I can see when people respond and such. I'm slowly getting friends here as I become a blabermouth in my own right *I post a lot about my rats, but not lately since my digital camera broke ^%$@!!!!* Sometimes I get offensive *and get flamed* but thats ok. I respect that everyone is entitled to an opinion and personally if someone finds something I said to be offensive I myself would like to know why so I can well, not offend people. I try to be mindful of that sort of thing but it doesn't always work. Just keep posting, and keep looking for your threads. And DON'T
be afraid to speak up! I would have signed up for the Gift Swap but I just can't aford it right now :( *never get married, kidding lol* Next year, I think Im going to participate!!! *Might send some catnip to the people in Cat general before that though, 'nip seems to be really popular!!!*
Ugh I just keep babbling but hear me out...
I don't have cats, in my apartment Im not allowed to have a cat but I look and post in cat general because I LOVE cats. I share stories about cats I know *mostly the mum in laws terrors lol* and I post about the cute kitty pix. *If your from cat general and see this, your kitties are soooo adorable lol* Even if you don't have a particular pet, your interest in it is enough to post. \

I guess the best advice I can give is Babble babble babble!!!!

RobiLee
06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Please hang in there and don't leave us. Sometimes it just takes a while and you are doing really well right now by letting us know how you feel. Is your name Tina? I do think I remember seeing one of your threads. I'm sorry if I didn't post. I'm not very good about posting and I'm trying to be much better at it. Just keep at it and pretty soon people will start to know you. My name is Robin and you can PM me any time you want.

Robin :)

Dogz
06-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Please, stick around here teenster. This really is a "warm" place. It is a great place, and it will grow on you! It took me quite a while to feel that I was a "part" of Pet Talk, and I am sure you will feel that!

I hope you get the posting pictures thing down, we really enjoy seeing everyone's pets!

:) -Emma

jazzcat
06-11-2004, 10:09 AM
I know what you mean. I will have been here a year next month and I still feel like some of my post are ignored now and then. I've learned not to take it too personally. A lot of time it's just the of day I post or even the time of week. Some days and times are much slower around here than others.

I mainly hang out in Cat General but do visit this more lately and I'm learning about more people over here. I'm also trying to visit the dog side more.

I think if you will post more about your pets (maybe put something about them in your sig even if it isn't a picture) it will help people remember you and your pets more easily. It will also help the person who gets your name for the gift swap.

Hang in there. There are some great friendly people here and I'm sure given time you will feel at home.

catlover4ever
06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
I know what you mean to, and like most said "don't take it personally."

As for me I usually go into the Cat section because I only have cats, but now that I have been here a while I tend to browse through most of the sections.

Don't give up hope....stick around and share your pets and stories with us....I know I would love to see and hear more.

Take Care --- Meg

Logan
06-11-2004, 11:19 AM
It truly does take time, and sometimes I think new people haven't participated enough yet to feel included. All of us can work on doing a better job at looking for those posts from people we don't know as well. I have been a member here for almost 4 years now (under two different nicknames). I have made some lifelong friends, but I will admit to you that as Pet Talk has grown, I have had a much harder time trying to remember who belongs with whom!!! :o Since I have such a diverse family of pets, you will find me lurking all over the place! I usually "hang out" in Dog General, Cat General, Pet General and General, as a rule, but try to comment on the Dog, Cat and Pet of the Day, as much as possible, and check the health threads too.

Right now, I have baby Cockatiels, so I have been sharing pictures over in Pet General, of their development.

We're glad you're here and hope you will feel right at home, soon.

Logan

Karen
06-11-2004, 11:29 AM
It may seem difficult at first, but remember to look first at the number of views of your thread, not just the number of posts. There's a lot of people who will read and enjoy a thread, but don't feel they have anything to add.

We have people of all age groups on here, and from literally all over the world. It's amazing sometimes to think about. We have folks from every political stripe, economic back ground, gender, etc.

All we have in common, at the heart of it, is our love for pets! The more you talk about your pets, the better!

NoahsMommy
06-11-2004, 11:41 AM
It is hard at first, especially with this board being so large.

If you want to get to know others, what about PMing someone? You have animals, we have animals, so there's already one thing in common.

What about finding someone that lives in your state or closer?

What about posting a thread in General about something that interests you?

I typically stay in the cat section, as I have 8 cats. I sometimes wander into the Pet section, because its always really neat to learn about some critter or scaly creature...but don't oftentimes post because I don't know all that much about them.

Keep with it, be outgoing, and you'll be fine. :)

catnapper
06-11-2004, 01:47 PM
I too am mostly someone who visit the Cat side and General... I do venture over to Dog General, even if to read only one or two posts. I am sorry to have missed any of your earlier posts. I try to make a special effort to reply to new people since they are new and don't have the relationships formed that others have. But look... you've got under a hundred posts, whereas many of us have had hundreds or thousands in which to get to know each other! :) You'll get to knopw people, and they will get to know you.

Corinna
06-11-2004, 01:57 PM
As mayor Karen says a lot of times I don't have any thing to add.but I look and read the thread. Some times so many threads are added so fast i have a hard time keeping up. When I work at the end f the day I have a lot of catching up.
Welcome and hope you enjoy this place it can be very informational and supportive. We can all get a little strong on our opinions but its becouse we are advocates for our pets.

lisalee
06-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi,
I'm a little new to PetTalk too. I enjoy it here but I also belong to a few other message boards and barely have time to post. I find this board to be huge, probably more posts a day than any of the other boards I visit. So, I find what I'm most interested in (usually cat pictures) :) and respond when I have the time and try to read as much as I can!

Lisa & Sash

http://pages.ivillage.com/lisalee992 (Sash's website)

MariaM
06-11-2004, 08:43 PM
I know how you feel. Some threads I have, people reply, some threads, they don't. I try to reply as much as possible because I don't feel I really know that many people here as well. I am really bad for remembering names (not usually, but I am on this board because there are so many people)

I have been here a couple months and enjoy it a lot. I have a feeling some people don't exactly care for me, but its a nice enough board that I keep coming back. :) It's a great place, you just gotta post! I don't even think that many people know me yet, but thats ok.

heinz57_79
06-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Hi teenster! :) I'm fairly new here myself, so I'm still kinda getting to know everyone. There are a who tend to reply to my threads on a regular basis (especially if they have nubby butts in them, eh Willie!? hehe) and those who post threads regularly (Kay aka Kfamr). Just keep posting and making your presence known. :) Btw, I'm relatively close to you in age... I'm 24, 25 in about a month, and I know a few others who are around our age as well, give or take a few years.

And as for all you "older folks"... Age is relative!! You're only as old as your driver's license says you are. hehe ;) My gf is about 15 years older than me (*you* figger it out!) and I get along better with her than I do with most of my peers. Just think of yourselves as a fine wine or a great cheese, a classic novel... :D

Aspen and Misty
06-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by cali
some people can post something and get 30 replies in 1 hour, while other can post something and maybe, just maybe get 2 replies. I have noticed it a lot too, only certain people get replies while others are all but ignored.

I agree, the worst part is in Pet Genral, I don't even bother to post in there any more. Even when someone is sick (Or going in for Emergency surgery )

Ash

teenster3
06-12-2004, 12:41 AM
OK,
So I will try my best to keep posting, keep talking and meeting new people. I'm not saying you have to respond every time. I know people have busy lives and are tired but, it just feels nice when you have someone to talk to.
I enjoy the polls a lot...that opens up a lot of doors, it kinda breaks the ice for something to talk about!
So here's some news about me:
My name is Tina, from WI.
I have 2 dogs....Wicket/Lhasa Apso & Waffles/Mini. American Eskimo, 6 Koi (pond fish only), & 4 fish in a 10 gallon tank downstairs.
I just got married last Halloween (YES ON HALLOWEEN) which some people think is strange but, that's ok. I love animals......really love my "babies" and dolphins. I haven't had the chance to swim with 1 yet :( In fact, the closest I have gotten is Sea World. I'm hoping if my husband & I have a honeymoon someday, that'll be the 1st thing on my list!!!!!:D
Well, I could go on but, I suppose that's enough about me for now.
I just can't wait to go shopping for the "gift swap"....oh yeah, I LOVE TO SHOP!
So......maybe this will start something I say; "tell me something or many things about yourself!!!!!!!!!!

lynnestankard
06-12-2004, 07:05 AM
I just adore the dogs names - Wicket and Waffle - they sound a bit of a double act!!:D :D

I love Lhaso Apso's but can't remember having seen a Mini American Easkimo :eek: I think I'll go on the net and look it up!

Lynne

lynnestankard
06-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Oh Tina I've looked up American Eskimo's - aren't they just so sweet?
They sound as if they have a lovely temprement. Thanks for introducing me to a breed I'd never met.

Lynne