PDA

View Full Version : How to report dog abuse?

teenster3
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Ok,
Here's the situation...
I live in WI and a few weeks ago we had some severe thunderstorms. My husband and I live a block away from my brother-in-law. So, he calls us the night we are having this storm. He told us his next-door-neighbor leaves their dog outside in all weather with no food, water, shelter etc. The poor dog happened to be outside in this weather shivering, and crying. My brother-in-law took the dog out of their fence and brought him into his garage to keep him safe and give him food, etc. (the owners obviously never even noticed he was gone) Well, to make a long story short...when the storm was over the next morning, his wife decided to take the dog back over, without calling the police or the humane society on these people. She told us, she doesn't want to have "any trouble". Now, what would you do???
I have talked to my niece and she said; that the dog belongs to a woman and the woman's daughter (who has disabilities). That they come and go a lot and always leave the dog outdoors. When I was over the other day, I kinda looked around their backyard and did notice 2 dishes but, don't know if they were full. There is a small dog carrier that the dog must go in and a broken down deck. There are about 2 small bushes that he could lie under for shade. They do have a chain-link fence but, I guess the dog is known to jump it. I believe he is a mutt, maybe some black lab, rott., pitbull. I'm not sure but, he is a sweet dog (he's only a pup, about 8 months old) that is just looking for some attention.
I don't know the whole story but, this is what I have gotten so far. I'm not sure if this is even considered abuse but, I go crazy even thinking about leaving him outdoors that day of the storm!
I hope this made some since, I'm getting pretty tired but, does anyone have advice? Thanks,
TINA

Kfamr
06-11-2004, 01:42 AM
Try talking with the owners... ask them about the dog. Maybe they'll even let you take it and find it a good home.

If not, maybe try contacting your local SPCA or Humane Society?

chocolatepuppy
06-11-2004, 05:22 AM
I have contacted my Animal Welfare League several times about dogs with insufficiant shelter. They responed each time and got results. I always pointed out that I don't know the people and feel they just may not now how to care properly for the dog. These are people that live blocks away from me,not my neighbors, I see these things when I go walking. Since these are your neighbors you could try talking to them first.

anna_66
06-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Yes, I agree that talking with them first would be the best thing to do. If that gets you no where I would definately call animal welfare or whatever you have there.
Such a sad situation for the pup. What a good person your bil is!!!

Logan
06-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Makes me sad to hear of him being left out like that. You know he has to be lonely, but I echo the sentiments of the others in that trying to talk with the owners, calmly, about his situation would be the best thing to start with. It would be good if someone could establish if he is at least getting fed every day and fresh water. Does he look healthy?

Sure am glad he was protected during the storm. Sounds like he needs a dog house, at least, if they are feeding and giving water to him. Wonder if during the discussion, your BIL could offer to help them build one if they need it. (Wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure)

Good luck. What a tough situation. I look at my four and their spoiled selves and can't imagine treating one like that. :(

ramanth
06-11-2004, 11:04 AM
I echo all the good advice. :)

dukedogsmom
06-11-2004, 11:09 AM
That would make me so mad to know that was happening. Why do people get animals and then not take care of them? I would do what everyone else has suggested.

My Peanuts
06-11-2004, 01:08 PM
I'd do what everyone else says, but if it doesn't work I'd just take the dog to a no kill shelter. Just say he's a stray. He's young, he will get adopted, and he deserves a better family.