PDA

View Full Version : Question about rat bite.

Uabassoon
06-10-2004, 08:35 PM
We have been working on introducing Mokey to Ari and Mushroom. So far things were going well, so last night we cleaned Ari and Mushrooms cage and put Mokey in their cage. I watched them closely and their was some fighting but I didn't think it was anything too out of the ordinary. After a while I put Mokey back in her cage and she seemed fine. But somehow I missed that one of the rats bit her I feel horrible about it. I was sitting by the cage the entire time and I never saw blood or anything. I didn't even notice that she was bit until this morning when I took her out to play. I put a little hydrogen peroxide on it. Is that the right way to clean it? I didn't know what else to do. At first I thought the cut looked horrible and I started to cry, but once I cleaned it I realized the bite wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I want to know if I should be using something else to clean the wound or if the hydrogen peroxide is ok.

We've also decided that we are going to redo the intrductions and start over again later by letting them play in the bathtub like we did last time. Their two cages are already sitting close to each other so that they can smell each other. We've also decided that we are going to get a bigger cage for them, the one right now is just barely big enough for 3 rats and we want them to have a little more room. Hopefully a new a bigger cage will make it easier. This is the cage we decided on we will get it PVC coated of course http://www.ferretstore.com/mc-f430.html

ILoveReptiles
06-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Mokey is a mouse, right? And Mushroom and Ari are rats? Mokey looks like a mouse to me

AFAIK... Mice and Rats are mortal enemies.

Uabassoon
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Mokey is rat. She's just a baby in that picture, that was taken the day I got her and she was only around 5 weeks. It's been over a month now. She's still a little smaller than the other two, but not terribly smaller.

guster girl
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Mokey's a rat, from what I remember. I'm sorry your little baby got bitten, that's hard to deal with. I'm not sure how you would clean it, but, I'm sure someone will see this post and give you some more advice. Other than that, though, how are you and Mokey doing?

Uabassoon
06-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Other than that, though, how are you and Mokey doing?

Thank you for asking :)! Mokey is doing very well. June 5th was her one month anniversary since I adopted her. I can't believe how big she has gotten. She turned from a tiny sneezy little thing to a big healthy girl :) She's almost doubled in size! She's super sweet and affectionate and very curious. I'll try to get some new pictures of her soon.

guster girl
06-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Thank you for asking :)!

You're welcome! I'm glad to hear you got a sweet little pet. Rats are such nice animals. I'm looking forward to the newest pictures! :)

lv4dogs
06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Gots a busy day so this is short but...
Hydrogen preoxide is fine. Just keep a watchful eye on it. If it is semi-bad or worse you may want to keep her isolated in a small cage with paper towel for bedding for a couple days. Or at least use soft bedding in her cage.
If you want you can apply a small bit of neosporin to the area but make sure she does not really lick that area, maybe give her a yummy treat to keep her occupied for a few minutes while the neosporin sets in.

If she gets any swelling take her to the vet it may be an abcess.

Desert Arabian
06-11-2004, 11:28 AM
When my little ones get injured from a bite, I clean it out with hydrogen peroxide, then I take a q-tip and rub some polysporin (it's like neosporin) on the wound to keep it clean and free from bacteria.

That cage will make an awesome cage for Mokey, I am sure she will just LOVE it! :D

lv4dogs
06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/

You can save $14.00 by ordering directly through martins cages

tikeyas_mom
06-14-2004, 10:16 PM
you should introduce them in a place where none of them are familuar.. like a bathtub, be ready with spray bottle just in case they fight.

Uabassoon
06-14-2004, 10:19 PM
you should introduce them in a place where none of them are familuar.. like a bathtub, be ready with spray bottle just in case they fight.

We were trying that and everything was working out great until we put them together in the cage and Mokey and Mushroom both decided they were the alpha rat. So we are still letting them play in the tub and once we get the cage then we will try housing them together again.

You can save $14.00 by ordering directly through martins cages

We looked at that, but the ferret store offers free shipping so it comes out a little bit cheaper. But thanks for looking out for me :)

lv4dogs
06-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

We looked at that, but the ferret store offers free shipping so it comes out a little bit cheaper. But thanks for looking out for me :)

Ya know I thought of that right after I posted a reply, but I didn't have time to come back & repost. ;)