PDA

View Full Version : Make sure you brush your dogs....

Shelteez2
06-09-2004, 11:00 PM
unless you want this to happen.....

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jun/2004693279690049378970.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jun/2004694545539023071206.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jun/2004697288287144485144.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jun/2004693899124838654068.jpg

This poor dog's coat was just a pelt. There was no brushing it out.

Uabassoon
06-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Whose dog was that? Poor guy, I'm sure all those mats hurt him.

Shelteez2
06-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Whose dog was that? Poor guy, I'm sure all those mats hurt him.

He was a dog we did at work today.

wolf_Q
06-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Poor dog :( There's a ton of really matted/gross dogs that come in where I work.....

It's the "once a year shave down" time right now...ugh....

Why have a dog when you treat them like that? :mad:

Shelteez2
06-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Fortunately we don't see too many like that. And a lot of times it's just ignorance. People think they are doing a good job brushing the dog, not realizing that they are not getting all the way down to the skin. I can't tell you how many times we've had a dog in where the last couple inches of hair was perfectly brushed out, but the dog was a pelt underneath.... :(

RobiLee
06-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Oh, that is disgusting. I was shocked. He is such a gorgeous looking dog. Did you try to give the owners some pointers? I hope they do better in the future.

Robin

Kfamr
06-09-2004, 11:21 PM
That's gross!! I'm glad I have short haired pups!

Shelteez2
06-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by RobiLee
Oh, that is disgusting. I was shocked. He is such a gorgeous looking dog. Did you try to give the owners some pointers? I hope they do better in the future.

Robin

We didn't deal directly with the owners.

In the little complex we are in there is a Chiropractor's Office next door and the chiropractor was dog sitting it. He came over with the dog (Samson) yesterday and my boss took one look at it and said we couldn't brush it out and asked if he had contact with the owners. Dr. Clark said he had email contact, so my boss told him to email the owners and let them know that the only thing we could do was shave it. Well they emailed him back saying we could do whatever we had to do, so he brought the dog back to us today.

In normal circumstances with dogs like that we do try and show the owners how to properly brush the dogs and what the right types of brushes are.

K9soul
06-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Poor guy :(

Normally I personally am not too keen on shaving a normally long-coated dog (I truly believe that coat provides them protection!), obviously this was the best way to go for this pup and I am sure he must be feeling better now :).

primabella
06-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Oh my gosh, the poor thing!

I know we should brush Mickey out more (like proper brushings, especially around the butt area). This has made me more determined than ever to get Mickey mat free. :eek:

anna_66
06-10-2004, 09:09 AM
My goodness how terrible:( What kind of dog is that?

I have been brushing the girls ever day to every other day (for about 10 min. sessions) trying to get them brushed out good. They are shedding like crazy now or should I say they are both blowing coat. The other day it looked like it snowed in our back yard:eek:

ParNone
06-10-2004, 02:40 PM
That would be my nitemare. That's why I'm sticking with short-haired or wire-haired breeds. There's been many a time that I've done lil' mental happy dance at the ease of grooming of my 4.

Par...

Shelteez2
06-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Poor guy :(

Normally I personally am not too keen on shaving a normally long-coated dog (I truly believe that coat provides them protection!), obviously this was the best way to go for this pup and I am sure he must be feeling better now :).

Oh we don't advocate it either. Especially not how short we had to take it to get under the matts. His skin is now very exposed and is susceptible to sunburn. It was so pink and sore looking underneath his pelt. :(

Originally posted by anna_66
My goodness how terrible What kind of dog is that?

He's a samoyed.

teenster3
06-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Sometimes it's not always the pet owner's fault.
I have a Lhasa Apso that has had to be shaved a few times now. I definitely don't like it when this has to be done but, you don't know my dog. He is sooooo aggressive! (he was abused by a previous owner) He WILL NOT let me brush him and when I try, I've had to have my husband hold him while both of us are wearing thick, protective gloves and then try. He just goes absolutely crazy.....he has bitten me several times and drawn blood (and forget about the nails). I just don't like to deal with it so, I leave it up to my groomer to do. I have a schedule for both dogs every few months but, it doesn't seem to fail that the groomer still has to shave him or cut down pretty close to the skin. I have been shown several times what to do to keep it from matting but, like I said how can I brush him without him tearing me to shreds. I have asked my groomer how she handles him and the one girl had no problems. This last time that I took him in was with a different girl and she had to restrain him as he tried to bite her as well. This is the 4th grooming place that I have tried in the past 4 years. I have switched different times because I thought 2 of the places I took him to, the groomers there were possibly mistreating him. He would go in afraid and leave practically pulling my arm off. It seemed like they wanted to get him in and out quickly. There were a few times that he kept licking his groin area and I found bloody spots, shaved too close I suppose! When I said something to the girls, it didn't seem to phase them. They said he'd be fine and that's all they could do and that he's just a nervous dog to begin with.
I don't know, I'm not trying to make excuses. I just want people to know that sometimes it's hard to keep our dogs coats looking healthy and beautiful!
I'm lucky for my "pretty girl", Waffles (mini american eskie) she's had a long, healthy coat since I got her. But, I've only had her for 4 months so we'll see what time will tell.
I LOVE both of my dogs dearly and think they are beautiful regardless!!!!!

Twisterdog
06-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
That would be my nitemare. That's why I'm sticking with short-haired or wire-haired breeds. There's been many a time that I've done lil' mental happy dance at the ease of grooming of my 4.

Par...

No kidding. I LOVE my short haired dogs! :D

BCBlondie
06-13-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by teenster3
He WILL NOT let me brush him and when I try, I've had to have my husband hold him while both of us are wearing thick, protective gloves and then try. He just goes absolutely crazy.....he has bitten me several times and drawn blood (and forget about the nails). I just don't like to deal with it so, I leave it up to my groomer to do.
That reminds me of my dog...
Miksy, my Sheltie, isn't TOO bad, but he's gotten a lot more grumpy and sensitive to his skin as he's gotten older (he's 1 month from being 12 now). When I brush him, I have to muzzle him or else he snaps every time the brush catches a little tangle.. It's impossible for me to brush tangles out (even if they're really small) because then he always snaps. He's bitten my parents before too. I shaved him and try to brush him every day now. Not only does he feel better, but he's actually letting me brush him now because the brush isn't getting caught in his fur. :D This is the first time I've ever completely shaved him, and he actually seems to enjoy not having all that extra fur. Plus it's summer time, so he'll have an easier time dealing with the heat this summer.

GoldenRetrLuver
06-13-2004, 10:40 AM
My God, that's horrible. :eek:

Molly isn't great with brushing either; and just to my luck, she has the most hair. :rolleyes:

I'd never shave her though. I just can't fathom the thought of seeing a shaved Collie. :p Plus, the coat can take quite a while to grow back, and it can grow back abnormally, as in the undercoat growing back faster than the outercoat, producing a different 'texture' to it.

K9soul
06-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
Miksy, my Sheltie, isn't TOO bad, but he's gotten a lot more grumpy and sensitive to his skin as he's gotten older

My RB Cody got a lot more difficult to brush as he got older. His skin was always sensitive, but it seemed to be ultra sensitive as he got to be elderly. He wouldn't bite me, but he would cry out and pull back his lips in a grimace if I hit a little snag. I got a fairly cheap clipper set and just clippered his coat until it was a lot shorter length, he looked more like a 1 year old collie that hadn't grown the length and thickness of an adult yet. It being shorter made it much easier to brush out, while still leaving him unshaved and less vulnerable to sunburn and bug bites. They sometimes would lay right in the sun outside. If you put your hand to the top of their coat, it would feel hot. But if you pushed in and felt their skin, it would still feel cool.

Any mats that developed, I just cut them out, it wasn't worth putting him through trying to brush or comb them out. Might have looked a bit odd/messy but at least he was not put through the pain of trying to untangle it. He always had a finer coat that matted easier than a rough collie should really. Willie's coat was more rough (the way it should be) and didn't tangle and mat too easy.