PDA

View Full Version : Taffy Got Sprayed By A Skunk! Yuck!

Tweety_Pie
06-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Taffy went outside in the backyard and there was a skunk. We had know clue it was out there, so my dad let her out. Long story short. It sprayed taffy. IT SMELLS SO BAD:( I literally wish i never had a nose. My mom gave Taffy a bath. The skunk sprayed her right in the eyes. Her eyes are so red. The house smells horrible..:(

What a night....

If any has any tips we would appreciate it!!!

binka_nugget
06-09-2004, 09:39 PM
I've heard that tomato paste will help get rid of some of the smell.. I've never tried it though.

Kfamr
06-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Ewwwww!! I've never had an experience with skunks... but I too have heard tomato paste works.

wolf_Q
06-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Ick! I bathed a skunk sprayed malamute once. I used several different skunk shampoos and even soaked him in vinegar...which helped considerably but some of the smell just had to fade away with time.

K9soul
06-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Tomato paste is the old remedy that has been used forever I think. There are also specific shampoos out there meant to neutralize skunk odor. I know because my RB collie got sprayed once and we found some shampoo meant for deodorizing a skunked dog.

If she got sprayed in the eyes though, you might want to bring her in to the vet just to have her checked out. Or maybe they would have an ointment to help soothe her eyes.

I know how miserable it is, I remember it quite vividly and it was many years ago now. Since my dog was a collie, it was even harder because the shampoo had to be lathered on every last hair in order to work on neutralizing that odor.

Poor Taffy :(

prechrswife
06-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Been there...

Bathing the dog in tomato juice helps. It won't completely get rid of the smell, but it comes close. As for the house, we were told to leave a shallow, open container of ammonia sitting out for awhile (I can't remember how long, and hubby is asleep, so I can't ask him right now) to absorb the odor. Fortunately for us, we didn't get the smell in our house, but my husband had put the dogs in the car before we realized what they had been into.:eek: (The ammonia thing works in cars, I know.)

Also, if you call your local Extension Service office (County Agent), someone there should be able to offer some suggestions. (If you are in the U.S.--I can't remember.)

Hope this helps!

Tweety_Pie
06-09-2004, 10:12 PM
we gave her 2 baths and the smell has gone down somewhat on her. The house smells bad. But my mom sprayed it with air stuff (its animal safe) Taffy's eyes look sore. They arn't as red as they were before. We contacted my aunt, who is a vet. And she gave us some tips..

Thanks for your help :)

Shelteez2
06-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I can personally vouch for the recipe that was developed by a chemist to break down the chemical in the skunk's spray that is responsible for the odor. Let me see if I can find a link to it.

Skunk spray remedy

"The home-made mixture was as follows:

500ml bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 tsp of dish detergent

I mixed these three things together in a bowl and
poured it over the 'spray zone' and made sure that
he was soaked down to the skin......left it on for
5 minutes....then bathed the dog using a 'tiny'
bit of dish detergent......it worked."

It also mentioned that if the dog was hit in the face, to use
vanilla extract in small drops or dabs to the affected area.

From http://www.touchfreedogtraining.ca/Healthful%20Hints.htm

Trust me it works!!! A friend of mine was taking care of 3 dogs and they all got sprayed by a skunk. We tried the above recipe and it worked like a charm. There was an area on one of the dogs that when I got it wet stunk so bad I gagged, but after the bath I was rubbing my face in the same spot!!!

One little note though is that if you have any cuts on your hands it stings (from the peroxide).

Edited to add a better link.....

http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html

jazzcat
06-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Disney was sprayed by a skunk last fall and still today when she gets wet the smell comes out - nasty. She was sprayed in the face and down the side of her body. Poor thing ate the spray and was foaming at the mouth. Did you notice it is yellow in color? Very easy to see on a white dog.

Anyway, we used the peroxide/soda/dish soap recipe and it helped a lot. I must have bathed her 12+ times in during that first week. I didn't try the tomato juice or paste because she is a white dog and I didn't want to turn her red or orange.

Honestly, I think time is the only thing that will get rid of the smell completely. Like I said, it's been 8 months since she was sprayed and the smell is still there sometimes.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
06-10-2004, 06:56 AM
SKUNKED OUT!
Recipe courtesy of
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals / SPCA

Mixture of:
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1-2 tablespoons Dishwashing Liquid

"It is not toxic" but please keep the mix out of the eyes, ears, nose and mouth

Knead the mix in to the spot the dog got hit. And after it has been rubbed in to the area let stand for no more then 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry with paper towels that you can get rid of.

9 out of 10 times when the dog gets hit the first thing the dog will do is rub and roll the oil all over its body! So you may as well bath the whole dog.

CAUTION: Do Not Store!! ... If Bottled, this mixture could explode!!

Tweety_Pie
06-10-2004, 07:31 AM
thanks everyone :)!

The smell in the house has gone down ALOT!

I told my parents about the home made mixture to get rid of the smell and we are going to try that tonight. This morning my dad went out and got all the stuff we need for that.

wolfie
06-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Oh, poor Taffy. I know what that's like - Daphne got sprayed at least twice a year at our old house (there were lots of skunks around our property). The Hydrogen Peroxide/ Baking Soda/ Soap method works great though! Good luck.

lv4dogs
06-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Ooh I know the best way toi deal w/ the smell, believe me Nanook got sprayed EVERY year for 10 consecutive years!

It is a bit embarassing, an older guy told me this trick, it took me years to try it now its the only way I'll ever deal w/ skunk smell.

Massengil vingar douche. Yup thats it. Make sure the dog is dry or towel dry (not soaking wet) pour the douches on him/her, make sure you soak the dog with the douches. work in like shampoo but let dry do not rinse off.

For some reason the massengil works better than other brands.

Granted the next couple weeks the dog may smella bit like a skink if he gets wet again but this technique works better than anything else. I have tried everything in the book you name it I tried it, nothing else worked nearly half as good as this.

Good luck