PDA

View Full Version : So Sad, yet somehow heartwarming...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-09-2004, 01:53 PM
During my lunch today, as a last ditch effort to help the kitty mentioned in my poll (click here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50933)) I physically went to a no kill shelter on the North Side of Chicago (no one returns phone calls 'cause they're all full).

Tree House Animal Foundation (http://www.treehouseanimals.org/) is where I went. I rang the doorbell and was eventually let in by a late 20's early 30's punker type looking guy who asked if he could help me. I was a little delayed in answering because just on the other side of a second glass door sat an adorable gray and white kitty, whose hair was mostly missing, meowing to be included in our conversation. ;)

The guy could see what I was looking at so he allowed me full entry as we were talking. This is a house that has been converted into a shelter where the cats roam freely. So we went into what should be the sitting room I suppose, and I could hardly keep explaining my situation because there were kitties everywhere! They all had their own little bed and most of them were fast asleep. Sitting on the floor with an adorable tuxie in her lap was an older lady, just calmly sitting and petting - she smiled at me - I'm assuming she's a volunteer.

We finally finished our conversation when he told me they couldn't help because they only take stray, sick or injured cats - not completely healthy ones that the owner doesn't want anymore - and he kindly informed that this person "sounds like a jerk." I couldn't help but agree. ;) He told me I could spend some time petting the kitties, "These are all quite friendly." So I did! The little white and gray that first greeted us was constantly underfoot the whole time, head bumping my leg and rubbing between my legs, so he/she got first pets. Then there was an adorable all gray tabby sitting on the desk. A petite little thing that loved the head scratches she got. Then there appeared a sad sad sight. Down the hallway comes this beautiful orangie - much like Fister but smaller boned - and he was dragging his butt and back legs. I had checked out their website and they have two orangie kitties that have cerebellar hypoplasia so I asked if this was one of them. The guy said no, this guy had been hit by a car and his back legs were paralyzed. :( :( But the heartwarming part is that I don't think this kitty knew he was handicapped! He just waltzed on in and came right up to me. He absolutely adored the chin skritchies I gave him, then went to the scratching post to sharpen his claws a bit, then sauntered on over to the food bowl for a little snack.....then I had to leave. I couldn't decide whether I should cry or praise the lord that this kitty - and all the sick and injured ones there - had such a wonderful place to call home!

I know I only saw a minute part of the place - there had to be at least 20 cats I saw, and the place has over 300 in their care - but the overall feeling I got, just from the guys tone of voice when talking about the resident kitties and the way this older lady was so lovingly petting the tuxie, was that these kitties are all very much loved and adored. They are all up for adoption and looking for a furrever home, but in the meantime the home they have is really quite the place, and I'm sure any stray kitty would be more than happy to call this a furrever home.

I just wish they were closer to work. I'd volunteer on my lunch hour, but it took me a complete hour to get there and get back with maybe about 15 minutes spent inside. There has to be a place closer to work......

ramanth
06-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Sad they can't take the cat, but heartwarming that they are helping so many others. Thanks for sharing the story. :)

CatMama78
06-09-2004, 02:15 PM
They are angels to do such kind work.

jenluckenbach
06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
How could you leave empty handed?!?!? :eek:

I wish I could have a place like that. :(

Uabassoon
06-09-2004, 02:25 PM
That sounds like a great place for a homless kitty. We have a shelter like that here too, it's called the Heritage shelter and it's a big house and all the kitties get to run free in it.

Good luck finding a place to take your kitten.

kimlovescats
06-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Oh Debbie ... I can feel your mixed emotions after your visit .... definitely a "bittersweet" experience! But what you said is right ... those kitties are happy and being well loved and cared for .. more than MANY ever get!!!

Thank you for taking the time to check this place out ... and I pray that the right solution for this person's elderly cat, will reveal itself to you very soon!

(((HUGS)))

Edwina's Secretary
06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I have read about them. I would love to see the house. Isn't it in the Ravenswood neighborhood?

Did you try Red Door? I have lost contact with them since they got a new director but I know they are still there. Western and Lunt.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I have read about them. I would love to see the house. Isn't it in the Ravenswood neighborhood?

Did you try Red Door? I have lost contact with them since they got a new director but I know they are still there. Western and Lunt.

Sara, if you remember, we met some of their (I'm assuming) volunteers at the last cat show? That's where I got a booklet they printed up. I've kept it on hand for just such an event. I'm glad I went. I'm not sure how far the Ravenswood neighborhood goes, but they are just North of Lawrence, just East of broadway on Carmen. 1212 W Carmen. I only saw down the hall and the one room, but from the outside it looks like a HUGE house! I was in heaven as soon as I walked in with kitties everywhere! :D

What they did do for me was give me a list of shelters in the Chicagoland area. Red Door was on there and that reminded me about them. I will probably go check them out tomorrow during lunch - like I say, no one returns phone calls or emails because they're just too full. :( The only thing about Red Door is it didn't have the little asterik by it, meaning it's a kill shelter. But they also had a disclaimer saying they weren't responsible for any of the shelters on their list and their policies, so it's possible Red Door has changed their policy since. But when I saw that I was doubly glad you had gotten Edwina before her "time was up!" :eek: :eek:

Jen, leaving empty handed was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do!! That little paralyzed orangie who loved the chin skritchies just stole my heart! However, if I had taken any of them, all 4 of us (me, T & P and newbie) would be on the streets looking for a furrever home. :-( Better one semi-homeless kitty than 3 homeless kitties and 1 homeless person. ;)

Also, Jen, you say you wish you could have a place like that. I noticed a plaque on the wall as I was leaving. They got some sort of financial windfall when a couple donated a huge amount of money to go for the rescue and homing of such cats (or something to that effect). I'm assuming they are surviving off the interest of that and any other donations they can scrounge up. So unfortunately, to get a place like this, all it takes is a little money.....:(

Edwina's Secretary
06-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Oh dear NO! The Red Door is no-kill. In any case, Edwina came from the Anti-Cruelty on LaSalle! :D :D

The Tree House almost lost the house for some reason I can't recall very recently....I think it was something to do with the will of the people who donated the house or something of the sort.

catcrazylady
06-10-2004, 06:07 AM
I would love to volunteer in a place where everyone was free to roam around. I hate the cages!
Don't feel bad Debbie for not taking that little orangie. I felt sorry for Magoo and look where it got me!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif Just kidding!

catmandu
06-10-2004, 08:55 AM
I would have taken that Poor Cats , as I think that the Found cats would be nice to him , and he would enjoy the Hotel , so much!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Here's (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1923040&adTarget=468catgeneral&SessionID=40c8724e0145995b-app5&display=&preview=true&row=75&tmpl=&stat=) the link to Comiskey, the orangie who is paralyzed. He's the one on the right with his back legs splayed out, not the bunny kicking one. I think this is a great pic because it shows he's just a normal cat who has no control over his back legs. He's definitely a special needs kitty though.

:D