PDA

View Full Version : Well, my boy is at the vet! Anyone who suggested things to me before, look here!

DogLover9501
06-09-2004, 08:27 AM
We dropped Jasper off at the vet about an hour ago, I miss him already and we just got home.

I wanted to tell you all about what the vet said about what some of you suggested.

Glacier- I asked about Depro-Medrol shots, they said she wouldn't really go there since he is so young, she didn't say much else about it.

Cincy'sMom- I asked about both Keratolux and Malaseb, she asked me if they were anti-fungul(sp) shampoos? She said she doesn't have a problem with either, but wanted to just read some more.

And Veegan- I asked about Cyclosporin, and she said that it weakens their immune(I think) and that other things like bacteria..etc would all attack and he wouldn't be able to fight them off being on cyclosporin and that they only use it as a last, last resort when they have to.

Today she's going to do LOTS and LOTS of skin scrapes and look very closely and study the slides, we have to pick him up in about an hour.

I'll update more then.

Kfamr
06-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Poor you and poor sweet Jasper.

I really hope whatever it is that you guys find out soon!
Does he itch alot?

DogLover9501
06-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Poor you and poor sweet Jasper.

I really hope whatever it is that you guys find out soon!
Does he itch alot?

Yes, almost constantly. Sometimes all night, and tons during the day, I try to keep him busy and make him forget about being itchy because he's just too sore.

Uabassoon
06-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Good luck! I hope the vet is able to figure it all out.

Cincy'sMom
06-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Here is some more information about the shampoos I mentioned.

Keratolux: ( From monstermarketplace.com)
Keratolux shampoo with Spherulites is a unique antiseborrheic and keratolytic tar free shampoo that removes scales, crusts, and excessive oil associated with keratoseborrhic disorders (oleosa or sicca) in dogs and cars. This product helps regulates the keratinization process and sebum production to improve skin health. Keratolux Shampoo contains Non- Ionic Spherulites. The product’s skin-friendly combination of ingredients with its gentle cleansing properties help make it an excellent shampoo for the management of seborrhea. It leaves the coat clean, soft and lustrous. Keratolux Shampoo is a breakthrough in skin care technology. Non-Ionic Spherulites: An exclusive and patented encapsulation system developed by Virbac; provides slow release of the ingredients in the skin after product application.

And Malaseb (from bullwrinkle.com)
Malaseb Shampoo is ideal for generalized or multifocal therapy of dermatitis in dogs, cats and horses. Malaseb Shampoo contains Miconazole – an antifungal with potent activity against fungi and yeast – and Chlorhexidine Gluconate – a proven antimicrobial agent active against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. This synergistic formulation effectively removes scales, degreases the skin and kills cutaneous microorganisms that primarily or secondarily cause dermatitis. Clinical trials show Malaseb shampoo to be an effective treatment and control of Seborrheic dermatitis associated with Malassezia pachydermatitis and Staph intermedius. Malaseb shampoo is free from dyes and perfumes to reduce possible exacerbation of skin problems and its innovative surfactant base removes damaged lipids without stripping the coat. Malaseb shampoo was shown to accelerate the resolution of Microsporum Canis (ringworm), reducing the risk of transmission of the disease to other animals and to humans in contact with them.

captain
06-09-2004, 08:49 PM
I am so sorry I only saw this now.

My Mum's dog had a similar, problem, but not as bad.
She changed his diet, and got some things from the Doggie Natropath ........

Would you like me to find out more?