PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't get this darn video on here

Andiphant
06-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I have some really cute videos, but am having the worst time getting them on here. I read through the detailed instructions and downloaded Windows Movie Maker, but the probably is my files are .mov and WMM won't open them! I see at the bottom where you can attach files that .mov is a 'valid file extension' but if I just try and attach it (making sure not to hit 'preview post') it does not show up at all. Any ideas how to do this?
Thanks in Advance.
I'm going to test whether I can attach anything at all..

Andiphant
06-08-2004, 06:37 PM
ok, that worked so why won't my video?
That's Blue by the way, my husand's classmates dog.

Andiphant
06-08-2004, 10:34 PM
anyone?.... Please... help....

captain
06-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Here you go

Posting Videos on PT (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49594)

trayi52
06-08-2004, 11:43 PM
You can go here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49594) and there is a real good tutorial there. This was posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom, and is very good.

The short version is this:
Step by Step Instructions for
Creating Videos for Pet Talk

Disclaimer – I’m assuming you already know how to take videos, file them on your computer and retrieve them from the place you saved them to.

1. Open Windows Movie Maker. If you do not have WMM on your computer, you can download it for free from this site. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp
2. Once WMM is open, towards the bottom of the screen, make sure it says “Show Storyboard.” You can change it to Timeline on your own once you get more familiar with the project, but just so we’re all on the same page for now, make sure it says Storyboard.
3. Towards the top left of the screen, look under the heading “Capture Video” and click on “Import Video.”
4. This will take you to a screen where you find the video you had taken and saved. Once you find the video you want to work with, double click and WMM will import it – this may take a minute or two.
5. When the thumbnail appears, drag it to the timeline – where it says “Video” towards the bottom of the screen – and drop it there.
6. The video will now show up as a thumbnail on the timeline, and will also be on the right side of the screen. You can click the “Play” button to view the video if you like.
7. To save the video, on the left side of the screen, under the “Finish Movie” heading, click on “Save video to my computer.”
8. Enter a name for the video and tell the computer where you want to save it and click “Next.”
9. On the next screen, you can save the video in different sizes. I’ve found that 1 MB is a good size for Pet Talk. Click the “Best to fit” radio button, then specify 1 MB then click “Next.” NOTE – if your video is smaller than 1 MB, it won’t let you save it to that size. If this is the case, save it to the size it recommends when you click the “Best to fit” radio button.
10. The movie will save which may take a minute or two, then you can either click the box to play the video when you click finish, or just click finish.
11. You’ve now got the video in a format that Pet Talk will recognize. To post the video to Pet Talk, the first step is to go to the forum you wish to post the video to.
12. Click on “New Thread” on the top right of the screen.
13. Fill in the subject and type any sort of little story or whatever you want to introduce the video.
14. On the left side of the screen you will see a heading “Attach File.” To the right of that, click on the “Browse” button. Once again you need to find the video that you saved. However, this time find the video you created with WMM instead of the original. When you find it, double click on it.
15. This next step is VERY important! DO NOT,repeat, DO NOT preview the thread. If you preview it will delete the video. When the path of the video shows up next to the “Browse” button, simply click “Submit New Thread.” It will take a minute or two while the video uploads to Pet Talk, just be patient. Even with high speed access it will take a little time for this step.
16. Once the thread appears, if there is something you don’t like, or for some reason it didn’t work, you can always delete it. The thread will appear with an attachment that you need to click to view the video.
17. That’s it! Piece of cake!

Glacier
06-09-2004, 12:02 AM
I have the same problem. My camera takes movies as .mov files. They can't be uploaded into the Windows Movie Maker and I haven't found another way to get them on here.

The instructions posted are great--but they don't work with a Quick Time movie extension. My video only play in Quicktime. sigh.....I have some cuties too!

trayi52
06-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Darn, Glacier, I would really love to see those videos too! I just know they would be great.

What kind of operating system do you have? If it is XP, then you might fix your Windows Media Player to play your videos, and then send them to Windows movie maker. Darn it, I just don't know, I would love to see those videos!!

Willie:)

Glacier
06-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by trayi52

What kind of operating system do you have? If it is XP, then you might fix your Windows Media Player to play your videos, and then send them to Windows movie maker.

I am running XP pro. I haven't found a way to get Media Player to recognize .mov files, but if someone knows of a way, please let me know!

trayi52
06-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a program that would convert the .mov files to wma. That would be nice wouldn't it?

Willie

captain
06-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Tray,

I put your "quote" into a search engine, and it came up with !!!

www.mp3towav.org

I cannot check it out, as mp3 is banned from work!
Let me know

AND

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=25753

This one might be really helpful!!!

wolf_Q
06-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks to Catnapper I've figured out how to solve the .mov problems that I had too.

First download this program http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm

Follow the directions on that website for converting your .mov to .avi Save it as full (uncompressed).

Then open the .avi file in Windows Movie Maker and follow the directions posted from there to convert it to windows media player format.

Let me know if it works for you, it worked for me!

trayi52
06-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Wow, Amy, that does look like a good way. I hope it helps, I really would like to see Glacier's videos.

Did you download that program, Amy?

Andiphant
06-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks WolfQ... I'll try that when I get home. Hope it works.
Huey's videos are really cute to.. if anyone cares :(

Kfamr
06-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I care!!! I really would like to see them. :D

trayi52
06-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Honey, we all care and want to see your videos! I love watching the videos of all the beloved pets of pet talk!

Sorry I made you feel your video wasn't important, Please accept my apolgies. You are as important as anybody on this board, please believe that. I am very much looking forward to seeing your videos, I need to see something good today, so please try and get those wonderful videos up. I am really feeling down today, and do need it desparately.

Again, Andiphant, please accept my apoligies for making you feel you are not important to us all, I am sorry I made you feel that way.

Now hurry and get those videos up, sweetie!

Andiphant
06-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi Willie
Sorry but I really did feel hurt that you seemed so eager to see videos of Glacier, and not Huey. I just have a history of not fitting in and assuming that people don't like me and was beginning to think the same thing here. How depressing that people don't even like me online :( But no hard feelings, the air is cleared and I feel appreciated now. It's just that I love Huey so much and he's so great and I want other people to see how great he is and love him too. I'll do it this evening when I get home from work, I promise you won't be disappointed he is quite the character.

trayi52
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Honey, I can't wait! Now that you have described him to me, it makes me really want to see it too! Very badly, now I have to wait until this even to see videos of Huey.

I know I am going to love seeing the videos, please don't feel bad, it was just my ignorance that caused you to feel so bad. Remember you are just as important to me or anybody else, and as good as anybody else. Okay?

lizzielou742
06-25-2004, 10:34 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! THANK GOODNESS someone figured out how to convert .mov's to .wmv's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have TONS of Tito & Sophie videos that are .mov files - I have a Kodak EasyShare CX6330 camera that records video ONLY in .mov, which ONLY will play in Quicktime. I think Apple and Kodak must have some kind of agreement. Anyway, I am going to try this when I get home and hopefully I can post Tito and Sophie videos soon!

This makes my day! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is also an example of how performing a search for the answer for your question before posting a new thread will avoid needless repeat threads...know what I mean? :)