PDA

View Full Version : I think it's pronounced with a LONG U..............

RICHARD
06-08-2004, 03:26 PM
F***ing villagers vote against name change

Residents of an Austrian village called F***ing, have voted against changing the name.

The 150 or so people who live in the village debated the issue after roadsigns kept being stolen - many by British tourists.

Spokesman Siegfried Hoeppl, said: "Everyone here knows what it means in English, but for us F***ing is F***ing - and it's going to stay F***ing - even though the signs keep getting stolen."

He said the name came from Mr F*** and his family who settled in the area 100 years ago, and added "ing", meaning village or settlement.

The villagers didn't find out about the English meaning of the word until Allied soldiers stationed in the region in 1945 pointed out the alternative meaning.

Local newspaper editor Menhardt Buzasa said there had been an increase in the number of signs being stolen, and said British tourists were usually blamed.

"I do not agree it is just the British. F***ing is universal. Germans use it as much now as the British, and it also means the same to the Americans, Australians and anyone in the English speaking world," he said.

Similar votes on a name change have taken place recently in neighbouring Austrian towns Wank am see and Petting, as well as in Vomitville and Windpassing.

-----------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I looked up the town on this site - and sure enough....

Think of the possibilities.

Politics......
Vote for the F***ing mayor!
It's the F***ing law!

Emergency services....
Call the F***king cops!
The F***ing fire department is on it's way.

Civic Pride!
I helped clean up the F***ing Streets.
The F***ing parks are so clean!

And you think there be more people living in that F***ing town!!!

:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

DJFyrewolf36
06-08-2004, 03:30 PM
The possibilities are endless

On the Ballot:

No new F***ing taxes!
Build a new F***ing library!

I think I'd move....

Kfamr
06-08-2004, 03:47 PM
"Our kids were born in the town by F***ing"

Laura made me do it. ;) :o :D

Randi
06-08-2004, 03:48 PM
ROTFL!! :D

In Denmark, we have signs on the side of huge lorries saying: Gods transport.

In elevators when you push the botton: I fart

On tourist buses: Tourist fart

and in streets: Stopforbud!

There are more, but I can't remember.

QueenScoopalot
06-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Ahhhh the wonders of the world! I've always wanted to order the "Phuket Shrimp" at chinese restaurants....but haven't yet.

slick
06-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Walking into the drug store and ask for some F***ing condoms :D :D

Did you check out the other unusual city names like Toadsuck, Collinsville, Texas, USA ????

CatMama78
06-08-2004, 04:33 PM
BBBWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that was funny!

RICHARD
06-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Remember folks....

Pronounce it with a LONG U!!

catland
06-08-2004, 05:01 PM
There was (I don't know if it is still there) a popular Chinese restaurant in downtown Portland called "Hung Far Low"

heinz57_79
06-08-2004, 06:30 PM
I have to say this, just cuz I lived in thailand for 5 years.... Phuket is not prounouced with an F. the Ph is actually a soft P, and the U is an oo sound. Granted, "pooket" isn't much better, but it's not quite as bad as F*ket. :)

RICHARD
06-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I have to say this, just cuz I lived in thailand for 5 years.... Phuket is not prounouced with an F. the Ph is actually a soft P, and the U is an oo sound. Granted, "pooket" isn't much better, but it's not quite as bad as F*ket. :)

Does that make it

Fad Thai?

:confused: ;)

G.P.girl
06-08-2004, 11:24 PM
LMAO! that's so funny!

Twisterdog
06-08-2004, 11:52 PM
ROTFLMAO! :D

lbaker
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
In San Francisco I spent one summer in a group apt. upstairs from the Hung Wun restaurant, but one of the best "names" I've come across at work was a student subscriber in China whose name was Wun Yung Wang :o
I was going to say student member instead of subscriber but thought that would be TOO much :rolleyes:

RICHARD
06-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I have to say this, just cuz I lived in thailand for 5 years....

Iworked with a gal from Thailand for years.....

Can you tell me what a 'squash' is called in Thai?
:D

RedHedd
06-09-2004, 05:47 PM
There used to be a Thai restaurant in S.F. called the Pho Ho :p always made me smile when I drove by. A few years back it was taken over by new management and they changed the name .. darn! The Pho Ho is no mo ..... :rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
06-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Iworked with a gal from Thailand for years.....

Can you tell me what a 'squash' is called in Thai?
:D RICHARD...you must know the answer to that one! Inquiring minds want to know??:confused: :p :D

DJFyrewolf36
06-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Im almost scared Queen.....but I want to know too!

lbaker
06-10-2004, 10:16 AM
RICHARD, can you *whisper* the answer?

RICHARD
06-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
RICHARD, can you *whisper* the answer?

Think of a 'short u' sound!:D

smokey the elder
06-12-2004, 08:01 AM
I worked with a guy named Long Wang...God is my witness!:D

IttyBittyKitty
06-13-2004, 08:46 PM
I am the F**cking town idiot!!!!

lynnestankard
06-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Is it Thursday already?!!

Some years back with some friends from work we took a long weekend trip to Amsterdam - we hadn't been there above 3 hours and I went into the toilet in a bar and the name on the toilet roll was - Big Wiley - I kid you not!! :D :eek:
Course we all acted 'very grown up' and rushed in with our cameras to take photo's!! :D :D
Lynne

jonza
06-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Walking through Chinatown, a tourist is fascinated with all the Chinese restaurants, shops, signs and banners. He turns a corner and sees a building with the sign, "Hans Olaffsen's Laundry."

"Hans Olaffsen?", he muses. "How the heck does that fit in here?". So he walks into the shop and sees an old Chinese gentleman behind the counter.

The tourist asks, "How did this place get a name like "Hans Olaffsen's Laundry?"

The old man answers, "Is name of owner."

The tourist asks, "Well, who and where is the owner?"

"Me, is right here," replies the old man.

"You? How did you ever get a name like Hans Olaffsen?"

"Is simple," says the old man. "Many, many year ago when come to this country, was stand in line at Documentation Center. Man in front was big blonde Swede. Lady look at him and go:

"What your name?"

He say: "Hans Olaffsen."

Then she look at me and go: "What your name?"

I say: "Sem Ting." :D :D

RICHARD
06-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Along the lines of Jonza's joke...

There really was a restaurant by the name of Sam
Dam Tings...When an auto club (AAA) writer did a story with the eatery's owner, he asked what Sam
Dam Ting meant in english..

The owner's answer???

Sam Dam Ting!

thelmalu99
06-17-2004, 03:42 PM
LMAO "Windpassing" ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICHARD
06-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by thelmalu99
LMAO "Windpassing" ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw a person with the name Low, Bow.

I swear!