PDA

View Full Version : a real live MOOSE!!

Cookiebaker
06-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Tonight, we had dinner with some friends of ours who live way out in the backwoods boondocks of New Hampshire. It's only about 25 minutes from here, but down a dirt road, and they have like 250 acres of lands.

We took Emerson with us, and just let him run free. He had SUCH a blast running and playing. He discovered a running brook and went swimming. Oh he was a *very* happy boy, running and running, and playing. There were about 14 people there, and it was an awesome experience with new people since he is quite timid around strangers. He fell in love with this one girl, and warmed up to her immediately. I so wished I had brought my camera.

So we were leaving, and Mark was driving rather fast for the dirt road. I saw this thing, but couldn't identify it. All of a sudden we were looking at the rear end of a MOOSE, swishing his tail. His antlers were HUGE and were as wide as the road. :eek: He was a beauty! This is the first time I have seen a real moose outside of a zoo/wildlife refuge setting. AWESOME!!!! Then I REALLY wished I had my camera with me!!

We had an awesome time, but the mosquitos were HORRIBBIBBLE!! *scratch scratch*

Anyhoo, just wanted to share. :)

Karen
06-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Wow! I'm so jealous! I've never seen a real live moose, despite years of driving in New Hampshire with Moose X-ing signs everywhere. Sigh. Note to Cookiebaker - get a small enough digital camera to ft in your pocketbook/backpack. Then carry it everywhere - just in case!

popcornbird
06-07-2004, 08:47 PM
You saw a MOOSE?!?! :eek: A MOOSE? How totally COOL!!! Thanks for making me jealous Anna..........thanks so very much. ;) Next time you go out, that camera BETTER be with you! How exciting! :D

Twisterdog
06-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Aren't they cute? I love their big noses. Whenever we go camping, we see them at the salt licks put out for cattle. The babies are soooo cute. Once, a young bull moose somehow wandered into our town's cemetery and couldn't figure out how to get out. Now, this town is about 18,000 people, the cemetery is right in the middle of town, and moose don't naturally live here, they are at least 100 miles to the north. No one knows how this guy got so lost and confused. We lived right next to the cemetery at the time, so we watched him from our yard. He was tranquilized and moved back to his natural habitat.

Aspen and Misty
06-07-2004, 11:17 PM
My mom would have DIED. She LOVES Moose!!! Where are the pictures!! WE NEED PICTURES!!!

LOL, sorry you didn't have your camra! I wish you would have!!

Ash

Kfamr
06-07-2004, 11:19 PM
In what state of mind were you, not beinging your camera?! You insane lady!:p :p ;)

CountryWolf07
06-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
In what state of mind were you, not beinging your camera?! You insane lady!:p :p ;)

Ha I agree. ;)

Cookiebaker
06-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr

hee hee, this made me giggle :D

Karen, maybe you should spend some more time in NH, and come visit us sometime ;) :D

I thought I should also mention (just so you don't think I was playing favorites) that they invited us to bring both dogs, but I was afraid that both of them together would drive me insane, especially during dinner. So next time around, it will be Malone's turn. And actually, the whole first week of August I will be spending up there, so every other day a different dog can come. :)

DJFyrewolf36
06-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Wow, what an awesome experence for you! I don't think we even have moose here. I saw a moose once in South Dakota, some moron kid was trying to catch his tail :rolleyes: The moose was not happy, and he was a BIG fellow too.
Ive almost hit deer and wild horses out here at night, those things are sooo hard to see for such a big critter...you never know fear until your little econo box car is face to face with a horse! *most horses weigh more than the car lol*
I wish you would have gotten a pic!!!!

dukedogsmom
06-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a really fun time. I carry my camera in my purse always. I never miss out on a good shot(unless I'm not quick enough) Would love to see a moose! I'll bet that was cool.

MammaMangorin
06-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I have also seen a Moose :D
Here in Sweden it is alot of them..
The Germans love them more than any thing *lol*..
The swedish name for moose is: Älg :p

I want a moose to ride on some day :p

http://www.destination-alvdalen.se/bilder/alg.jpg
http://www.svanrek.se/aelg5.jpg