PDA

View Full Version : Cat Dancer (r?) toy

AmberLee
06-27-2001, 04:39 PM
Do your cats enjoy the Cat Dancer (this might be a trademark???) toy? It was the favorite toy of our Sassafras Root "Sassy" who died last February. I was cleaning out a cupboard last night and found it again. Both Cassy and Livvy played heartily with it and brought back many happy memories for me. I was waving it around and laughing with tears in my eyes.

CD is a long springy thin wire with one cardboard roll on one end and about five on the other end. You can hold it and it wiggles the cardboard around in a manner that is apparently very attractive to cats. At least our cats find it exhilarating, whether they stalk it, pounce on it, or just lie on it munching the cardboard thingies. Do your cats like CD, too?

A.L.

[This message has been edited by AmberLee (edited June 27, 2001).]

Freckles
06-28-2001, 07:59 AM
Freckles isn't much for toys, but Yes, she likes Cat Dancer. As long as I'm holding the one, she'll play with the five.

thelmalu99
06-28-2001, 09:50 AM
I don't think I have ever seen that toy. I haven't really been spending money on toys for Charlie because he always goes for stuff that I have around the house. His favorite toy is this gold gift wrapping string. He also loves milk jug rings.
My neighbor gave me a toy that she bought for her cat, but her cat wasn't interested. It's this big plastic saucer with a ball that goes around and around. In the center is this cardboard stuff that they can scratch on. He just loves that thing! Sometimes he even sleeps on it! :)

Laura
06-28-2001, 11:40 AM
My mom found this toy for sale at a craft fair years ago. We've since seen it other places as well. Our cats just adored it. They would play "jump for the wire" for hours with us. After we were done and had laid it on the floor, they would sit and watch it. Just in case it decided to jump up and play all on its own! :D

wolflady
06-28-2001, 01:49 PM
I love the cat dancer thing! We actually have several of those at the rescue where I do volunteer work. The cats just adore them...I think I need to get off my lazy butt and get one for my own kids!!! LOL :D Those cats at the rescue sure are pampered! :cool:

AmberLee
06-28-2001, 06:57 PM
Spencer -- feathers are popular here, too. Especially the ones my niece finds 'fresh' in the park!

Freckles -- so glad your Freckles enjoys entertaining his (her?) human, too!

Thelmalu -- I've not seen one with a scratching area in the middle. Sassy particularly loved his. Not sure what's it's real name is. I call ours the 'Kitty Roulette Wheel'!

Laura -- LOL. So fun to picture that!

WolfLady -- Glad to hear it. Which group do you work with? I donate to Companion Animal Rescue Effort (CARE), by any chance is this the same group you work with?

thelmalu99
06-29-2001, 09:49 AM
AmberLee,

It's called a Turbo Scratcher

Check it out: http://www.catgifts.com/images/4711.JPG

Charlie Luuuvvvvs his!

catwoman
06-29-2001, 10:50 AM
The TurboScratcher is great! A favorite of my Thelma & Weezie. They especially love it when I sprinkle dried catnip into the holes in the cardboard. They go bananas!

Catwoman

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: catwoman ]

AvaJoy
06-30-2001, 02:06 PM
Both my cats have enjoyed playing with Cat Dancer, which is supposed to mimic a moth. They also like Cat Charmer, which is a brightly colored long woolen strip on a clear plastic wand. If your cat finds shoelaces or string attractive, he/she might especially find Cat Charmer irresistible as you swirl it around or swish it behind you while walking through the house.

It is no easy task to entice my senior female to play, but she has been known to give both toys her attention. My youngster, of course, is intrigued by anything that moves!

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: AvaJoy ]

AmberLee
07-02-2001, 01:35 PM
Dear Avajoy,

Thanks for the tip. Olivia would probably love it. (I'm on the lookout for ways to get her more active. A slight pudge problem ... and exercise is easier to control than food.) ;)

Does anyone know whether cat's metabolisms run higher after exercise, like humans do?

AmberLee
07-02-2001, 03:38 PM
Garbo is gorgeous! (Or you are a great photographer, or both...)

lisajb
07-05-2001, 09:21 AM
Milo and I have been through a couple of cat dancers. Still a favorite of milo's...he also likes any swat and swing toy as well as his tree house which he got for his third birthday.

AmberLee
07-16-2001, 03:21 PM
Dear Avajoy,

I was on a catfood run to the local pet store and found the Cat Charmer. It was irresistable. Livvy enjoyed it, but Cassy went absolutely nuts over it. At one point he was hanging from the bottow of the foot stool and lunging for the Cat Charmer and the foot stool danced across the floor with his swaying body. :D :D :D It doesn't explain well, but it was adorable. A pity he isn't the one that needs the exercise... :rolleyes: Thanks for the tip, the laughs it gave me were marvelous!

goody2shoes
07-16-2001, 05:23 PM
Heck yea! Nikki loved playing with it so much she tore it up!

wolflady
07-17-2001, 04:56 PM
Amberlee, jeesh...it's been awhile since I've been on here!! Yikes! Anyway...Town Cats is associated with Alley Cat Allies I believe. You can check us out at www.towncats.org! (http://www.towncats.org!) :)