PDA

View Full Version : Moving advice

nsweezie
06-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Hello!
I need some advice!
I'm engaged to a great guy who is originally from Norway. He has been working in Canada now for over a year. We always knew that some day he would have to return to Norway, but it seemed likely that it wouldn't be for several years.
To make a long story short, his company told him on Friday that he will be working in Norway again by September.
Now, we had planned for this. We both decided that we could live in England (where I was born) and he would work in Norway. (He works on an oil rig, so he is 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off). We picked England because I know the language
:) , and also because our cats would have to go into quarentine in Norway for 180 days!
We have had the cats tested and approved for the PETS scheme, which allows you to bring the cats into England without quarentine. No problems there.
Here is my dilemma. I have 4 cats, Clyde, Scooter, Freya and Odin. We live with my sister, who also has cats, Mackie and Zoey, as well as a dog, Puggie. We also have gerbils, but they are joint pets between my sister and I.
My cat Scooter honestly prefers my sister to me. I don't think he knows that he is supposed to be my cat! He is very very attached to my sister, he sleeps with her every night, goes to her first for attention etc.
I know that moving across the ocean is going to be quite stressful. My sister has offered to keep Scooter, as she very much loves him. I know she would look after him very well, but I feel awful that I might leave him behind.
Has anyone had any experience with this type of move? What is the stress level like? Would Scooter be better off staying in Nova Scotia, as he is much more attached to my sister than me? I want to do what is best for him, even though it breaks my heart thinking of him not with me.
The other 3 cats are coming to England. Does anyone have any advice about this move? Freya is pretty resiliant, but Odin and Clyde are babies!
Thanks in advance!
Louise

Craftlady
06-07-2004, 03:45 AM
My cat Scooter honestly prefers my sister to me. I don't think he knows that he is supposed to be my cat! He is very very attached to my sister, he sleeps with her every night, goes to her first for attention etc.

I would keep Scooter with your sister. Don't feel bad about leaving him. He is with family and you can get updates and photos on a regular basis. Your sister will take excellant care of Scooter.

catmandu
06-07-2004, 10:15 AM
The Older The Cat , the more that they would not like moving , so Scooter , is better , off , if he likes your sister , that much! Kittens will adpt , easier , but most Cats , will take what they are given! The Visitors , are already adapting , to The Spare Room!