PDA

View Full Version : Miss Jo Birdie

captain
06-06-2004, 07:47 PM
It has been the hardest thing to do, but I have given Jo to a certified wildlife carer ................

Here is the story :

I think I have mentioned to you before that I hate keeping my beautiful birdie on her own, or even in her cage. I feel so sorry for her all the time, being by herself. John and I were considering buying another birdie just to keep her company.

Just seeing Jo's reaction whenever she heard or saw other wild Galahs flying near our house was heartbreaking - it was like she suddenly realised she was alone ..... :(

Well, earlier this week, a man I work with (or at least, one that works for the same company, but in a different location) posted this up on our electronic noticeboard

Wanted:Female Galah any age.(For pet only / not for breeding)Company for male Galah (His sister died)

Well, you can imagine how sad THAT made me, so I went home and talked to John ........... we decided to give the man a call and "sus" him out, and see if he really is a bird lover, etc. I emailed him this yesterday

"You might not remember me, but I am the lady who did the SAP and the PC Refresh training at Broadmeadows.

I saw your notice about a female Galah, and wanted to let you know that I have one that I rescued. Here is her story :

We have a family friend called Viv. At her 40th birthday party, I overheard some other "friend" of hers (who was planning on renovating their house) mention to Viv that she would like her to look after Jo. Viv automatically assumed that meant whilst they renovate their house ......... but NO, this woman said they no longer wanted the bird, and if Viv did not take her, they were going to open the cage and hope she flew away!!!

Viv would not have been able to take the bird (as she has a cat and 2 budgies already), so I jumped in and offered to take her.
Her name is Jo (apparently it was AGRO!?) and she is approx. 6 years old. She LOVES my husband, and tolerates me. We do love her dearly, but I am a soft-hearted person and feel so sorry for her on her own. She comes inside at night, into her big cage, and in the day, she goes outside to the aviary my Dad and Husband built for her. She loves it, but I think she is lonely.

NOW, I am happy to discuss this with you, and I feel so sorry for your male bird, but do you think you might like to try and see if they get along? It will break my heart to see her go, but I am thinking of the big picture. Would I be able to visit her if you took her?"

He phoned me on Friday, and was so excited. His name is Bob, he is in his 50's and he is a registered wildlife carer. He rescued his Galah's 20 years ago, and also has budgies, turtledoves, quail and peachfaces ...... and would love to take Jo to keep his male bird (whose name is AGRO - can you believe it!!!).
I made him promise that if she does NOT get on with the other birdies, that he will give her back to me. He promised.
(His Male Galahs sister died as a result of complications of surgery - they went in too remove a lump they found, and it was too much for her ..... and she passed away)

So on Sunday, off I went to his house - in Reservior (108 km round trip!!!), but went with the "If I don't like it, she is not staying" attitude. I got there and he welcomed me in like a long lost friend, showed me around the house, all the birdies, cats, dogs ........ and then we went outside to the large aviary in the back where the male Galah was, with all the quail and turledoves. And there he was - HE WAS HUGE!!! and was sulking in the back of the cage. Bob said he has been pining terribly for his sister ........

Suitably satisfied with the HUMUNGOUS aviary, we went and got Jo out the car, and hung her cage on the outside of the aviary. Well, Agro took one look, and waddled his way along the branch to take a closer look! Jo (of course) ignored him! So we all went back inside to have a cuppa .......... and Bob snuck back out to look. They were sitting head to head through the wire / cage - nattering away to each other. An hour later, we put Jo inside the Aviary with all the other birds ...... and she promptly flew to a large branch and "biffed" the turtledoves off! Made herself right at home.

Eventually, I realised she was making herself quite at home - preening, and flying from branch to branch, so I headed home.

This morning I phoned Bob, who told me that yesterday after I had gone, he went back outside to sneak a look, and both of them were on the floor of the aviary (which is covered in hay, and other yummy birdie things), foraging together. And last night, he went out at around 10pm, and they were both up the back of the aviary in the "roosting area", snuggled up in the corner together .............

So I think I have made the best decision for the birdie .......... even tho I miss her terribly.

PCB - don't hate me! I did take pics before she left, and will post them from home tonight.

Michelle

RobiLee
06-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Oh Michelle, I know this must be so hard on you. I also think it is a wonderful story and it sounds like you did the best thing ever. Jo sounds like she is in a wonderful place and will be getting lots of love. Will you be able to visit her once in awhile?

Please don't feel bad. I know you will miss her and my heart goes out to you.

{{HUGS}}...Robin

Miss Meow
06-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I think you have made two birdy lives a bit happier, as much as it pains you.

You've done a very generous thing :)

Kfamr
06-06-2004, 08:04 PM
What a wonderful thing you and John have done for Jo and for Agro!!!

I know you probably miss her dearly, but I bet they're as happy as can be! :)

Good job, Michelle!
:D :D

captain
06-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Robin,

Yes, I can visit any time I like. Bob was so nice about it (and his wife too!). They both insisted that I just call whenever I want, and come to visit.

John and I will go over together at the end of June I think. Give her time to settle.

Although, I did tell Bob that if Jo ends up appearing unhappy, to just give me a call, and I will take her right back! He promised to do that.

Thanks Nicole, Robin and KayAnn, you guys are making me feel better ..... :(

RobiLee
06-06-2004, 08:13 PM
No sad faces, Michelle. You really have done a wonderful thing and made 2 birdies very happy. I wish I could reach through this screen and give you big hugs in person. When you and John go for your visit take along your camera for some pics. I would love to see the 2 of them.

Keep us updated...

Hugs again....Robin

aly
06-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Michelle,

I'm crying my eyes out for you. You loved Jo so much that you were able to do the most selfless thing in order for her to be happy. NO ONE can hate you for that. It is very heartwarming to know that Jo was able to ease Agro's pain of losing his sister. How sweet.

Cookiebaker
06-06-2004, 08:34 PM
What a sweet story. I am so sad for you, and yet so happy for the birdie couple. What a wonderful opportunity you gave the birdies, and it really sounds like Jo is fitting in there. Can't wait to see the pictures, either!

Dogz
06-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Way to go, Michelle!!!

You have done a wonderful thing. I am sure Jo will just have so much fun there with the other birdies.

I know it must hurt, but it was the right thing to do for Jo-birdie.

Keep us updated, and I can't wait to see the pictures of pretty Jo. :)

popcornbird
06-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by captain

PCB - don't hate me! I did take pics before she left, and will post them from home tonight.

How could I hate you for doing something that was in Jo's best interest? Although I am saddened to see her leave PT :(, I do think you did the right thing. Birds do get bored easily, and larger parrots especially, need companionship ALL the time. Parrots can live well without a birdie companion, but they need human attention all day long if they're alone. I do believe you did the right thing. Now both birdies will be happy with each other in their large aviary. I'm sure this was a very difficult step for you to take, and the most unselfish thing you could have done. Good luck to little Jo. I know you will miss her dearly, but if she's happy, I'm sure its all worth it. You do owe me those pics though. ;)

Kfamr
06-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Miss Jo asked me to send this your way.... :)
http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v181/ptsignatures/Random%20Stuff/jobirdie.jpg
Hey Michelle~!

I knowz you misses me, but I also misses you too!
I wunna let U kno datz i'm very happy with your decizion, and dat I don't wunt U to cry or be sad ovur me goin to a different home. I kno U'll alwayz be in my littul burdie heart and dat i'll be in ur GREAT BIG heart. I luvs you alotz and i'll nebur ebur furget everyting U've done fur me!!

Thank U agin....

Luvs you alwayz N furevver,
*Mizz Jo Burdie*

captain
06-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Oh Kay ......... *tears*:(

Thanks so much ...........

anna_66
06-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Oh Michelle, what a sad but happy story. It really sounds as if you've done the best thing for Jo and that she will be happy in her new home with her new friend.
It's great that you will be able to visit whenever you want.

delidog
06-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Oh Michelle!!!
If you Ever had a Doubt....Just Read these responses!!!!
You have done The Most Selfless Thing!!!!!
Miss Jo birdie sounds Very Happy...( I can Tell by the letter she sent you!!!;)

Congrats My Aussie Friend!!!!!!
If you feel bad at all...just lean over....Hug The Captain & The Ruby!!!!!!
And you'll know Why you did this for Sweet Jo!!!!!!

yes,when you go visit,Bring a camera!!!!

Maybe you could give him the info for Pet Talk Website
and he could update us all!!!! Just a thought!!!

Feel Good Michelle!!!!!!!
We are SOOOOO Proud of you!!!
Nicole

captain
06-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Thank you all so much for your support.

KAY,
I printed that out and have stuck it on the wall in my desk cubicle.
Thanks so much

Kfamr
06-07-2004, 12:23 AM
You're more than welcome Michelle. :)

RobiLee
06-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Kay, that is so sweet.

Hugs for you again, Michelle!

Robin :)

Logan
06-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Oh, Michelle, I got tears in my eyes, reading of your decision, Jo's lonliness, Agro's lonliness, and how quickly they took to each other. What you did was a wonderful gesture of love for Jo, completely unselfish. I am very proud of you for putting Jo's needs first. It sounds like her new home will be perfect. She needed you to intervene when you did, and what wonderful things you have done for her, twice now. :) Makes my heart sing to read this story.

Logan

zippy-kat
06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
I'll bet Miss Jo Birdie (and Argo, too!) are saying many heartfelt thanks that you took this step. Bless you, captain for helping Miss Jo find love!

captain
06-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Just an update.

I phone Bob today, to find out how Jo is doing.
He said she is simply fantastic. She has started flying onto his arm and scurrying up - and promptly biting him on the ear! :eek: :rolleyes:
He said Agro and her are sleeping together on the branches at night, and Agro is flabbergasted at how noisy she can be. He apparently stares at her when she squaks ...... Probably thinking "WHAT THE?????"

So, the birdie seems to have settled down quite promptly .....

Thanks for all your support
Michelle

apcrs5122
06-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Oh, Michelle, you are such a caring person. You did it with Jo's best interests at heart, and now two birdies are benifiting from your wonderful gesture.

I'm so glad Jo and Argo are getting along, and Jo is settling in. Keep your chin up:)

Cincy'sMom
06-08-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner, but I'm happy that Jo is settleing into her new home. What a wonderful thing you have done for her!! Sometimes the right thing is the hardest thing to do, but this was the right thing for Jo.