PDA

View Full Version : For all the butt scooting kitty cats out there...

christa
06-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I tried putting this in the "health" section but didn't get any replies. So we'll try it again...

Anyone else out there have a cat that scoots their butt on the carpet? I know this has been discussed before, but I'm moving to a new home and will have to keep my Josie in a carpeted room. That's scary for me cause she scoots her butt regularlly across the carpet, and sometimes she does it when she has a clinger. It's a mess . . . She's been to the vet over it, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with her.

Anyway, if anyone has had experience with butt scooters and has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

slick
06-06-2004, 05:40 PM
**raises hand **

I have a butt-scooter.

Speckles is 17 and yes, she scoots. I've also started a thread on it and got some responses suggesting a problem with the anal glands so I took her in. Turns out the same as you, nothing wrong with her. Speckles has a bit of a *ahem* girth so I think she has a hard time cleaning herself so she scoots to clean herself off. She does not do it all time; mainly after she's had a rather soft BM. It's most annoying and yes, I can identify with the "cling-ons".

I have found no solution except to stock up on Prosolve. It cleans the carpet like nobody's business.

Good luck.

christa
06-06-2004, 05:47 PM
thanks for your reply . . . guess it's just something we're gonna have to live with. i'll try that carpet cleaner. lord knows i've tried everything else.

rosethecopycat
06-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Mr. Jones, my big Tuxie does it.

The vet expressed the anal gland :eek: and he promptly returned home and did it again. I think he just likes it.

No skid marks here, luckily.

kimlovescats
06-06-2004, 08:05 PM
It is partly a way of marking territory ... but I think more than anything it is done by those who really want it clean without having to do the dirty work themselves!!!:eek: :D Yep, I have a few butt scooters too!:rolleyes:

christa
06-06-2004, 08:40 PM
sounds like there's nothing i'm gonna be able to do. it wouldn't bother me if she just did it every now and then, but she does it on a daily basis. hmm . . . anybody else?:confused:

slick
06-06-2004, 09:07 PM
OOOO, daily basis? That's tough. Any way you can take away the carpet and put in hardwood floors?

rosethecopycat
06-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by christa
sounds like there's nothing i'm gonna be able to do. it wouldn't bother me if she just did it every now and then, but she does it on a daily basis. hmm . . . anybody else?:confused:

Mr Jones- many times everyday.

Add that to his little 'ankle humping' adventures. :p :rolleyes:

christa
06-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by slick
OOOO, daily basis? That's tough. Any way you can take away the carpet and put in hardwood floors?

we're renting right now. . . .but i always joke with my husband and tell him that when we buy a house, we can only have hardwood and tile. i think that's a good excuse!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-07-2004, 12:55 AM
I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback who did that ALL the time - same story - no worms, no medical problems - she just liked it!

Connor does it occasionally but only in my study, as most of the floors are tile or marble.

So I think hardwood or tile is the way to go!

catmandu
06-07-2004, 10:17 AM
RB Cat Mr.Fluffy , did , as he had poo , stuck , to the long fur , under his tail! PU , and into The Laundry Tub , he went!

christa
06-07-2004, 11:48 AM
So are you all telling me I'm gonna have to live with it???

Sounds like it.

Yay . . . I thought this was something that only dogs did. Maybe Josie thinks she's a dog.

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one having these problems.

Logan
06-07-2004, 12:07 PM
I have never had a "scooting" cat, but I have two dogs that do it! :eek:

RICHARD
06-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Photon torpedoes usually will take out a Klingon....

Or a phaser on "STUN".....;)

lizzielou742
06-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Does she do it only after she goes in the litterbox or all the time? Because if she does it after she uses the box, maybe you could move her box to a bathroom or outside or something? Or maybe start getting her with a squirtgun when you catch her doing it? Not a nice approach but if you're desperate...but if she does it when you're not around it's probably pointless anyway. Sorry! Good luck :)

christa
06-07-2004, 06:30 PM
MOST OF THE TIME, it's after she goes to the litter box. Her litter box IS in the bathroom though . . . she comes out into the hall and scoots it on the carpet. Believe me, she knows what she's doing! I'd never put it outside, but the squirtgun thing might be worth a shot. (no pun intended :) )

Catsnclay
06-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Lucky is my "scooter". But he also has anal gland problems. First check with the Vet about the anal glands.

I put a throw rug in front of their litterboxes, to catch loose litter and that is where Lucky scoots. We took up most of the carpet in the house and put down tile (MUCH better!!! :D ) So he only has a few places to scoot. I don't mind if he does it on that rug because its washable (and cheap).

christa
06-07-2004, 10:26 PM
We've had her anal glands "expressed" but there wasn't much there . . . so that wasn't really a problem. I think she just likes it!