PDA

View Full Version : Must Destroy!

lute
06-05-2004, 03:27 PM
as a few of you know. i got a husky for show last saturday. things are going fine and we still have to keep her away from Beanie. ive never had a husky before so i don't know if they all do this,but she rips up stuffed animals like they are alive and must die! it takes her about 1 minute to distroy a large stuffed animal to the point its hard telling what it was.

should i not give her anymore or should i keep buying stuffed toys at yardsales for 25cents?
thanks

guster girl
06-05-2004, 03:31 PM
As long as the behaviour doesn't overlap onto other things, not just stuffed animals. :) And, you can watch the dog so that he doesn't eat the stuffing! Some dogs don't differentiate between their stuffed toys and people's stuffed toys (pillows, beds, couches, etc), but, if your pooch knows the difference, I say what the heck. Let her tear 'em up!

Glacier
06-05-2004, 03:44 PM
All of my huskies do this with stuffed toys. I buy squeakers in bulk and sew them into cheap teddy bears. Once they kill the squeaker, the entire toy gets destroyed. Even old, blind Preacher kills stuffies!

lute
06-05-2004, 04:16 PM
she takes out all the squeekers in her toys so i buy her toys that don't have them becuase she tries to eat the squeekers.as long as it's a normal thing for huskies i'll keep buying 25cent toys.thanks:D

catnapper
06-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Nicki's not a Husky, but boy-oh-boy did she love to destroy her toys when she was a pup. There used to be stuffing everywhere.

Thank goodness she has mellowed and she now carries them around like they are real babies and she hasn;t destroyed a toy in a couple of years!

lute
06-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Nicki's not a Husky, but boy-oh-boy did she love to destroy her toys when she was a pup. There used to be stuffing everywhere.
i wish Maddie would mellow out soon too. she's 9 years old!!!

catnapper
06-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by lute
Nicki's 9 too... she's still a hyper dog in certain aspects. She barks whenever I laugh. EVERY time. I don't know why or what she thinks is happening, but she gets sooooo worked up. Its only when I laugh too - never anybody else. And my husband is totally NOT allowed to hug or kiss me because she will bark her head off. At least she doesn't tear apart her "babies" LOL

Glacier
06-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by lute

Huskies don't mellow out! I have several who are in the same age range as Maddie, no sign of mellowing out. One of my main lead dogs is 10 years old and still gets mad if she doesn't get to pull!!

stacwase
06-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Max loves to destroy his stuffies too! He's just so cute when he does it, we keep buying him more.

One thing you have to be careful of, though, is bringing home stuff that might resemble a stuffy. Like those slippers which look like animals?

DD brought home ladybug slippers. Bad idea, as all stuffies are the sole property of Maximus Doggus.

mspenny719
06-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Dillon loves to destroy stuffed toys too. I've found that the more pricey ones with the tennis balls inside are way more durable and it takes him about a month to destroy them. I get them at Big Lots for $3.99 each. The cheap ones take 60 seconds!
Have you tried Kong? Its hard rubber and practically indestructable. Not a stuffed animal but a must have for strong chewers. Keeps Dillon busy for sometimes an hour!
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v243/mspenny719/P5090011.jpg