PDA

View Full Version : Get Well Soon, Flair

dukedogsmom
06-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Don't look if you don't like bloody things. Flair cut his leg very badly on something unknown in the pasture today. It was during a thunder and lightning storm. He hates storms anyway. Some people at the barn were trying to get all the horses in out of the bad weather. I got the call about 5pm today. Why couldn't this have happened during regular hours? Vet calls are a lot more expensive after hours. One arrived about 7 and worked on his leg for at least an hour, getting it really clean before she stitched him up. So, with all the shots and medicine that got left for me to give him more shots, the total came to $481. Thank goodness horses don't do this often because I surely couldn't afford it at all. I know he'll be hurting when some of the painkillers wear off. And, vet said he's not to be out of his stall for at least a week. I've got to make sure he keeps putting pressure on his hurt leg or the tendons could draw up. I have to change the bandages every day plus give him his shots. Poor guy. He was really hurting. Here's to his speedy recovery.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/flairinjury1.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/flairinjury2.jpg

Kfamr
06-04-2004, 10:21 PM
OMG!

Poor Flair!! :eek: that looks very painful!!
Give that handsome boy some extra treats and hugs from me.

I wonder what he cut it on? the pasture isn't that big, right? It's the one I saw? Is there blood anywhere out there?

RobiLee
06-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh Val, that is just so awful. That looks like a pretty nasty wound. I'm so sorry that this happened. Take good care of him and give him a kiss from me. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for Flair.

Hugs...Robin

Keep us posted.

dukedogsmom
06-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks you two. Well, I couldn't go look in the pasture because it was pouring down rain and I'm still sick from that cold. Taking tomorrow off to try and get well enough to work Sunday and Monday. One of my friends from the barn is going to take care of him on my work days so I won't have to come out.

trayi52
06-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Poor Flair! That does look like a pretty nasty wound. I hope he heals fast. My horse Sugar cut hers on something in our pasture, I think it was some kind of wire or something. I had to give her shots everyday for about 7 days. It really scared me when that happened.

Give Flair some kisses right on his nose for me.

Willie

Logan
06-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Poor fellow! :( I hope he will be ok, Valerie. I know that scared you!

K9soul
06-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Oh no! :( Poor Flair, that is quite a gash! I bet it was a shock for you when you saw how bad it was. Poor guy, that has to be very painful :(. That's quite a hard hit on the vet bill too. I hope Flair will be feeling better soon, and heal up quickly.

gini
06-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh dear, that looks so nasty. I sure hope that he heals very soon.

Cinder & Smoke
06-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom

... Well, I couldn't go look in the pasture
because it was pouring down rain...

That injury could have happened if Flair stepped through a Wire Fence. :eek:
(Horses can do some reall *dumb* stunts when they
spook or panic during a thunder storm.)

I can understand the Vet suggesting Stall-rest rather than
free-running in the pasture;
but didn't she suggest having him WALK on it?
Possibly under close supervision and ON a lead rope??

Hope he "leaves it alone" and it heals Quickly!

/s/ Phred

tatsxxx11
06-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Poor Flair:(:(:( Oh, what a nasty gash; it looks so painful:( I'm so sorry Val! Sending prayers for a full and speedy recovery! Get well soon sweet Flair!

Kfamr
06-05-2004, 02:43 PM
I made this for that handsome horse. :)
http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v181/ptsignatures/Random%20Stuff/Flairgws.jpg

popcornbird
06-05-2004, 03:42 PM
OUCH!!! :eek::(:( Poor Flair! That looks SO painful. Hope his leg heals soon. Poor guy. :(

apcrs5122
06-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Oh, poor Flair!:eek: That must really hurt, poor guy. I hope he has a speedy recovery, and the pain goes away as soon as it can.
Joker got his foot cut not too long ago, and it was pretty bad, not quite as bad as Flair's. And Flash had some kind of bloody fungus on her foot.
When we took Holly to K-State to have her tooth worked on, the total bill was $420.
Get well soon Flair!

Blustang24
06-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery Flair!!! Don't scare your momma like that anymore!

wolf_Q
06-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Ouch!!! :eek: Poor Flair, I hope he recovers soon!

dukedogsmom
06-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Kay, thanks for the sweet sig! I'll use it until his stitches get taken out in 2 weeks. The vet doesn't want him walking on it at all for a week because there's a risk of the stitches coming loose. Then, after a week, I take him out for about 15 min a day. Not to so much walk as just to graze on grass a little. I've got to give him two shots a day for a while. He's a real good boy. Doesn't even move when I'm giving them. His leg looks a little better but it's very swollen. Sort of looks like a Frankenstein leg with all those black stitches. I'll just be glad when we're both better. Taking care of him while I'm sick is not fun. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Miss Meow
06-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Poor Flair!

I'm sorry I missed this thread. Sending lots of good wishes to Flair and hope he gets better soon. Leg injuries are so painful :(

Desert Arabian
06-06-2004, 05:52 PM
OUCH! Poor little Flair! :eek: Get well soon beautiful Arabian man! :( Get well fast so your mama doesn't have to fret too long!!

MariaM
06-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Awww thats really too bad! I guess we just have to be thankful it wasn't worse! It's just one of those things, but at least he is doing okay now! Get well soon Flair!:)

anna_66
06-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh my what a gash:( I can just imagine how much it scared you.
Here's to Flair healing fast.
Get better soon sweet Flair.

wolfie
06-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Oh, poor guy. I didn't look, but I want to wish Flair a fast recovery!

G.P.girl
06-06-2004, 11:19 PM
OH! poor flair!! get better soon boy!

MariaM
06-06-2004, 11:22 PM
You can look Rachel, it may be bad, but it doesn't look *too* bad.

Kfamr
06-06-2004, 11:22 PM
You're welcome Val...

How's Flair?

kimlovescats
06-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Poor Flair .... I'm glad you got the vet out to treat him though! Heal fast sweet horsie!!!;)

captain
06-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh - Get well soon sweet Flair.

{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

EssTer
06-07-2004, 04:42 AM
OMG!!! Poor Flair.. I'm so sorry to hear that :( Oh, God, please help Flair to get well soon...

{{{{hugs to both of you}}}}}

apcrs5122
06-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

How's Flair?

I was just wondering the same thing. How's the poor guy doing?

luckies4me
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
That's some wound! Poor little man. I sure hope he is feeling much better now that he got it cleaned up and has mommy to care for him. I hope you feel better soon too Val. I hope we get a good update real soon. :) Good luck!

dukedogsmom
06-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks so much everyone! Last night he wasn't doing too well. Had a temperature and wasn't eating. But, one of the girls at the barn gave him a shot for the fever and also gave him an alcohol bath. He was also getting dehydrated because he wasn't drinking water. So, I had to go to the store and get some apple juice. We wet down his food and then put the apple juice in it and he loved it! So, now he's eating and drinking and the swelling has gone down a little. He was his old ornery self today. Pawing the ground getting impatient. I'm so glad he's feeling better. Was very worried about him. Thanks for everyone's concern.

anna_66
06-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Good to hear that he is doing better today!

lizbud
06-07-2004, 07:42 PM
That looks like a very nasty wound.:( Poor Flair. Looks like
it would be very painful for him. I'm glad to hear that he's
feeling a little better & is eating & drinking. I hope this clears
up quick & Flair is well again. He's a beautiful horse.:)

Kfamr
06-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the Update Val!!

Glad to hear he's doing better. :)