PDA

View Full Version : What Book Are You Reading?

RobiLee
06-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I know this has been done, but I thought I would start it back up again.

I love to read. Mostly fiction so I can escape a little bit. I seem to go in phases though. I'll read like crazy and then I won't read anything for some time.

I just started "The Lake House" by James Patterson. I got this book from Amy or Staci at one of the pet talk meetings. Thanks guys! Its pretty good so far and has me hooked right from the beginning. I recommend that you read "When The Wind Blows" first. Good Book. I'm getting ready to curl up on the couch and read and thats what made me think of the question.

I think the last book that I read was "Faking It" by Jennifer Cruisie. Good easy read that made me smile. This is the first book by this author that I have read. It turns out that she lives in Columbus, Ohio. Not too far from where I live. The book was based around that area and there where alot of references to places that I knew. I loved that!

So, what book are you reading? Also, what books do you recommend?

Robin :)

sirrahbed
06-04-2004, 07:52 PM
I read everything by Dennis LeHane and think he is terrific. Saw the movie "Mystic River" and am waiting for the movie version of "Shutter Island" which is, IMO, his BEST novel!

I also ready EVERYTHING by Patricia Cornwell, Robin Cook, Mary Higgins Clark and Karin Slaughter :D

Last book I read was "Stone Monkey" by Jeffery Deaver (also love the Lincoln Rhyme series by Deaver and this is one of them)

Kfamr
06-04-2004, 07:55 PM
None. :o

I hardly ever read books. :o :o

I only read novels. ;) ;) ;)

Amber
06-04-2004, 08:18 PM
I love to read too.

Right now im reading for the 2nd time is "The Outsiders". We read it in school, and Im just hooked on this book! Its really great. It's really sad in some parts, and funny in some. I also saw the movie at school, and now Im hunting every movie store to find it. :)

catnapper
06-04-2004, 08:25 PM
I just finished one that was really good called "cold Fet" I can;t find the bok right now, but will so that I can tell you who wrote it! It was a murder mystery (just about all I read) and was very exciting. For once I didn't guess who dunnit!

The Lake House... is the the sequel to the one about the bird-girl? I liked the first one, though hubby laughed at me the whole time I read it telling me it was such a stupid concept. :rolleyes:

binka_nugget
06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
My driving manual. ;)

I'm also reading "The Ultimate Guide to Dog Training" as well as "A Walk To Remember". Both are great books!

Cincy'sMom
06-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Right now I am reading The DaVinci Code. I'm not very far in it yet.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
"When the Wind Blows" is one of my favorites. Thats why one of my cockatiels is named max. "The lake house" is good to. One day I will have birds named Peter, Wendy, Matthew, Ozamadias (sp), and Icarias (sp).

Amber
06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
Right now I am reading The DaVinci Code. I'm not very far in it yet.

Hey, my dad is reading it. He said it's good so far :)

Cookiebaker
06-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
"A Walk To Remember". Both are great books!

YES! That book is AWESOME! So much better than the movie!! I think it will be one that I actually buy if I ever see it at the store. I *HIGHLY* recommend it!!

moosmom
06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm reading "Circus Fire" by Stewart O'Nan. It's an accounting of the 1944 Hartford Circus Fire. I started reading it on the plane on my way to CT last night. VERY interesting!!! Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus has had MORE fires where MANY animals perished before 1944. I can't put it down!!

lisalee
06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm reading Shirley MacLaine's Out on a leash, about the love she share's with her dog Terry. I love biographies.

Lisa & Sash

http://pages.ivillage.com/lisalee992 (Sash's website)

NoahsMommy
06-04-2004, 10:50 PM
I LOVE to read. I'm averaging a book a week right now, but that will change soon when school starts.

I'm currently reading Marian Keyes' Rachel's Holidday. Its my third book by her and I love her writing. Its totally girl reading...not too intense, funny and totally real! I love it!

I'm half way into the last book in the "Left Behind" series and I hate it! I read the first ten and this one is really not good. :(

My friend is reading The DaVinci Code, it sounds really good...

RobiLee
06-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
"When the Wind Blows" is one of my favorites. Thats why one of my cockatiels is named max. "The lake house" is good to. One day I will have birds named Peter, Wendy, Matthew, Ozamadias (sp), and Icarias (sp).

That is so cool! Great names.

RobiLee
06-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Everyone's books sound interesting. I'll have to check some of them out.

Except for yours, Kay Ann! Those novels you read....very boring! ;) :p

Kfamr
06-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by RobiLee
Everyone's books sound interesting. I'll have to check some of them out.

Except for yours, Kay Ann! Those novels you read....very boring! ;) :p

Oh, but I promise they're not!! I look forward to them. ;)

MariaM
06-05-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm reading about 5 different books on dogs and then I have a big pile to read.

I have read The Outsiders, when I was in grade 4 I read it. We all got a book for Christmas (the 4 kids) and I read my brothers'. I highly recommend The Rats of NIMH and A Little Princess. Both are extremely good. I also recommend The Dog Listener by Jan Fennel. Also, I heard Nicholas Sparks was a really good writer. :)

MariaM
06-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Oh and ALL the Heartland books by Lauren Brooke are EXCELLENT. They are all about horses, and even though I'm a dog person, I LOVE them!

binka_nugget
06-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by MariaM
Also, I heard Nicholas Sparks was a really good writer. :)

Oh gosh, he's GREAT! I was amazed at how well A Walk to Remember turned out. I thought it'd be a cheesy teeny type of story but it was wonderful! There's another one by him that I'd like to read.. if only I could remember the name.. :p

Logan
06-05-2004, 06:22 AM
The Notebook and Message in a Bottle are the other two books by Nicholas Sparks, in addition to A Walk To Remember. He may have even written another since then, but those are the three I know about.

I enjoy reading and have read many of the books that you guys mention. I am not currently reading anything, though. I've decided to do the Harry Potter series next, I think. We have vacation in a couple of weeks, so I will start then, probably.

Amy, I read the DaVinci Code earlier this year. Scott did too. We both enjoyed it very much. He is now getting ready to read one of the books that was written about the DaVinci Code. Can't remember the name right now. It's one that discusses more in depth from a theological aspect about why it is not true (I think that's what it is about ).

Nice thread, Robin. Thanks for starting it. :)

primabella
06-05-2004, 08:01 AM
I only read books from Agatha Christie so I don't have much variety, LOL.

Right now I'm reading "The ABC Murders" but haven't finished it because I'm in exams now and stuff. I can't wait to get back to it though, it was so amazing. :D

K9soul
06-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm a voracious reader and have read all types of novels, but most often like good fantasy (not the dime novel type), and historical fiction. Some of my favorite historical fiction type novels have been by Stephen Lawhead. He wrote an interpretation on Arthurian legend that was very good (The Pendragon Cycle), very realistic and the characters fascinating. I also really enjoyed Byzantium by him, about a monk who goes on an expedition in ancient times to present a holy book to the Emperor in Byzantium. It takes place in early Christiandom years, starting out in Ireland. Their ship gets blown off course and later they are beset by Vikings. An excerpt from the book cover says: "Thus begins an expedition by sea and over land, as Aidan becomes, by turns, a warrior and a sailor, a slave and a spy, a Viking and a Saracen, and finally, a man." It was a very enjoyable book.

A couple of my favorite fantasy authors are George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire), and Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy). I've also read all of James Clavell's books beginning with Shogun (1600s Japan). I've read Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Grisham... many many more. I have boxes and boxes of books :o

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I'm currently reading Marian Keyes' Rachel's Holidday. Its my third book by her and I love her writing. Its totally girl reading...not too intense, funny and totally real! I love it!

OHHH I enjoyed that book (and all the others by Marian Keyes).. They are real GIRLIE books!!!

Other good "holiday"books are anything by Penny Vincenzi, and the "Shopaholic"series by Sophia Kinsella (feels like she is writing about me LOL) - have you read any of them???

I really loved the Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel, but the last one was a bit dissapointing.

Am just finishing "Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume - I didn't realise she wrote "grown ups books" !!!

Also just started "First Break All The Rules" - I try to have one "business" book going at the same time as all the "girlie" ones.

Toby's Mommy
06-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I am reading All-American Girl. It is a very good book and I would recomend it to anyone!

trayi52
06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
I love reading! I have been reading books since I was in the third grade. That was the only source of entertainment I had, no TV, so I read everything I could get my hands on.

I went from adventures to romance novels, and then those started scaring the crap out of me. I now love reading, books about disasters, science fiction, and horror stories! Not nearly as scary as the romance novels. I like Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and some others, I can't remember.

I am reading one now that is called "Final Impact", by Yvonne Navarro, I really like it. I read it a few years ago, and thought I would read it again.

Anyway, the scarier, the better!

Willie:D

MariaM
06-05-2004, 11:54 AM
I read Santa Paws books too. (I remember going to the library in 2nd grade and seeing it had a dog on the front, I automatically took it out) They are about a dog named Santa Paws who is a german shepherd/border collie mix I believe. He is a hero dog lol. Very smart. In one book he gets kidnapped, one he saves his family during a plane crash and more lol.

Nicholas Sparks has quite a few books. One is called The Guardian and its about a great dane. I am going to try and read it but I recommend it to you, it sounds really good and the author is too.

Logan, you will LOVE Harry Potter, it is absolutely AMAZING. I read the fourth book (636 pages) in two days, and when I got my fifth book last June, I read it within a few days as well (around 754 pages I think)

They are some of the best books I've read, and if you read them more than once (which I'm sure you will once you get into them) you pick up on a LOT of stuff you didn't notice the first/second/third tiime you read them. Lol. If that makes any sense.

But even now, when I read them over, I pick up on things. Man I just can't explain how much I love them! I have read the first book(224 pages) 4 or 5 times, the second book (252 pages) 3 times, the third book (317 pages) 3 times, the fourth book 2 times, the fifth book 2 times. I know alot of people have even read them more times than that, because they are so good.:D

slleipnir
06-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Seabiscuit :) Good book. A lot better then the movie (although I'm not done yet...)

Also Chicken Soup for the Horse Lovers Soul...:rolleyes:

Miss Meow
06-05-2004, 11:47 PM
I finished The Da Vinci Code last week and I must be the only person on Earth who thought it was over-rated and badly written :)

I'm taking a full time uni load this semester so I'm currently reading Pericles' Funeral Oration for my news and politics unit (I don't know how the two connect, but I guess that's my job to find out :))

BitsyNaceyDog
06-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Logan
The Notebook and Message in a Bottle are the other two books by Nicholas Sparks, in addition to A Walk To Remember.

"Message in a bottle" was awesome! I started to read "The Notebook" but couldn't get into it, so I quit.

I love Maeve Binchy. My favorite book is "Tara Road" I just got so involved with the characters lives that I never wanted the book to end.

CatMama78
06-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I used to be an avid reader, but lately I can't seem to get back into it. I'll pick up a book and only read a few pages before I feel bored :(. Maybe some of the mentioned will spark my interest again! Some of the better books I've read are the Wally Lamb books and Song of Solomon.

RubyMutt
06-06-2004, 10:58 AM
I agree with all the Harry Potter fans, they are GREAT books. I really don't believe they're geared strictly for younger readers. Myself, my parents who are in their 50's, and many other people I know have read and loved all the books :D In fact I'm going over to my parent's house today so we can all go see the new HP movie in the theater together. I'm so excited :D

Anywho, I'm currently reading 'Macbeth' by W. Shakespeare. I'm really enjoying it. I have read quite a few of Shakespeare's other pieces, but never one of the tragedies. Or... is 'Romeo & Juliet' one of the tragedies? I can never remember :p I've read it multiple times.

sirrahbed
06-08-2004, 02:51 PM
The power of suggestion works! I went to the library today and picked up three books I requested after hearing about them here:D "When the Wind Blows", "Circus Fire" and "A Walk to Remember"!! Now, which to read first??

DJFyrewolf36
06-08-2004, 03:09 PM
I read too much True Crime stuff, I admit. It makes me paranoid. Maybe I SHOULD read Hary Potter or something lol

Sevens
06-08-2004, 03:17 PM
I just finished reading "Sixpence House" by Paul Collins and I absolutely loved it!

Here's a write up on it from Amazon.com:

A bibliophile's pilgrimage to where book lovers go when they die-Hay-on-Wye.

Paul Collins and his family abandoned the hills of San Francisco to move to the Welsh countryside-to move, in fact, to the little cobblestone village of Hay-on-Wye, the 'Town of Books' that boasts fifteen hundred inhabitants-and forty bookstores. Antiquarian bookstores, no less.

Hay's newest citizens accordingly take up residence in a sixteenth-century apartment over a bookstore, meeting the village's large population of misfits and bibliomaniacs by working for world-class eccentric Richard Booth-the self-declared King of Hay, owner of the local castle, and proprietor of the world's largest and most chaotic used book warren. A useless clerk, Paul delights in shifting dusty stacks of books around and sifting them for ancient gems like Robinson Crusoe in Words of One Syllable, Confessions of an Author's Wife, and I Was Hitler's Maid. He also duly fulfills his new duty as a citizen by simultaneously applying to be a Peer in the House of Lords and attempting to buy Sixpence House, a beautiful and neglected old tumbledown pub for sale in the town's center.

Taking readers into a secluded sanctuary for book lovers, and guiding us through the creation of his own book, Sixpence House becomes a meditation on what books means to us, and how their meaning can still resonate long after they have been abandoned by their public. Even as he's writing, the knowledge of where his work will eventually end up-rubbing bindings with the rest of the books that time forgot-is a curious kind of comfort.

Lillycat
06-08-2004, 11:30 PM
i have been trying to finish the davinci code......my son insisted that i read it and brought over his copy for me......really having trouble getting into it, keep putting it down to read something else......i will finish it eventually as i always finish anything i read, but i just, so far, cant see in the book what so many other people rave about.....maybe when i get further into it my opinion will change....

Cincy'sMom
06-09-2004, 05:43 AM
It took me awhile to really get started too Lilly, but now I am going much quicker. I should finish it by the end fo the week, and itis really growing on me.

cassiesmom
07-19-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm bumping up this old thread because I need book suggestions. I am reading a book for work on measuring quality in health care. Not a page turner, but I need to get more familiar with some of the most common methods and what they are used to measure. I started reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, but I couldn't get into it. I think my brain is stuck on health care quality! My mom's book club is reading "The Aviator's Wife" which is about Anne Morrow Lindbergh. So ... reading enthusiasts, thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Catty1
07-19-2014, 04:09 PM
I pick up freebie books in a special room at our local recycling depot.

I am just about done The Diary of Virginia Woolf; there are several more volumes.

Daniel Silva came to fame recently with his book The English Girl, but there were books before that - all with the same characters, one of whom becomes his wife. These are spy thrillers but are written very descriptively, yet in a straightforward manner. I find each book a real page-turner.

Here's a list of his books: http://danielsilvabooks.com/the-books/

Karen
07-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm bumping up this old thread because I need book suggestions. I am reading a book for work on measuring quality in health care. Not a page turner, but I need to get more familiar with some of the most common methods and what they are used to measure. I started reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, but I couldn't get into it. I think my brain is stuck on health care quality! My mom's book club is reading "The Aviator's Wife" which is about Anne Morrow Lindbergh. So ... reading enthusiasts, thank you in advance for any recommendations!

What genre(s) do you like most?

cassiesmom
07-20-2014, 12:55 AM
What genre(s) do you like most?

Let's see ... the authors of the last three books I really enjoyed were Erik Larson (In the Garden of Beasts), John Grisham (re-read The Rainmaker), and Malcolm Gladwell (Blink). I've never read Patricia Cornwell's books though I know she is very popular. I'm not into romance novels or sci-fi. If it's fiction I'd like a happy ending. I'll try to stop at the library soon.

mon
07-20-2014, 01:48 AM
I am currently reading Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook... Anthony Bourdain

mon
07-20-2014, 01:56 AM
Quickly 3 more that I enjoyed were, The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom. Warrior Princess, Kristin Beck.

mon
07-20-2014, 02:01 AM
And if you have a very strong constitution, God Must be Sleeping, Gregg Tyler Milligan.

mon
07-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Just must add The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher, and I Know This Much Is True, Wally Lamb.

mon
07-20-2014, 02:38 AM
I swear I shall quit after this, The Prince of Tides, by Pat Conroy and The House of the Spirits, by Isabel Allende are such beautiful novels.

Karen
07-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Let's see ... the authors of the last three books I really enjoyed were Erik Larson (In the Garden of Beasts), John Grisham (re-read The Rainmaker), and Malcolm Gladwell (Blink). I've never read Patricia Cornwell's books though I know she is very popular. I'm not into romance novels or sci-fi. If it's fiction I'd like a happy ending. I'll try to stop at the library soon.

Another Insane Devotion by Peter Trachtenberg - fiction, well written and has a kitty pivotal character!

Randi
07-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Some of the best books I've read in the last few years are Stieg Larsson's three books - check them out! I also liked Maeve Binchy's "Italian Teacher" (not sure the title is quite correct)

cassiesmom
07-20-2014, 07:04 AM
I read "The Shell Seekers" - and I watch the PBS series "Doc Martin" which takes place in Cornwall. Randi, I've read a couple of Maeve Binchy's books and really liked them! I read "The Hiding Place" in high school.

When I went to the bookstore to pick up this quality measurement book, they had a table with a sign: Books Everyone Should Read. There were classics on it - The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, and the diary of Anne Frank. There were also a couple I have not read - "Night" by Elie Wiesel and Khaled Hossaini's (sp?) "One Thousand Splendid Suns"- I think that's the title. My sister-in-law teaches middle school language arts and "Night" is one of the books she has taught. I re-read The Great Gatsby when the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio came out. Didn't get it in high school, didn't get it in college and I still don't completely get it. Will try to get to the library soon. During summer (through September) the library is open Sundays from 11 AM until 3:30 PM- wish they would do it all year round!

Pinot's Mom
07-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Just finished 12 Years a Slave -excellent.

AvaJoy
07-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I am back and forth reading "Bleating Hearts: The Hidden World of Animal Suffering" and also "A Street Cat Named Bob". When Bleating Hearts brings me to tears I read some of Bob to cheer me up.

Grace
07-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Just finished "Perfect" by Don Larsen. His account of the Perfect Game he pitched in the 1956 World Series. I saw that game on TV, and have read another book about it. This was really interesting - he went inning by inning and he's finally realizing what is going on - only no one will talk to him about it.

Now I'm reading another sports book - about the history of the NHL.

Vette
07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
iBOY by Kevin Brooks

yeah weird stupid like title an i prolly never would of picked it up if a friend hadnt of told me its good an so far it is pretty interesting. i rather suck at explaining things though so i wont even bother LOL

cassiesmom
01-20-2015, 04:14 PM
"The Girls of Atomic City" - it's about the development of the Manhattan Project site in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and some of the women who worked there during World War II. the task that was being performed there was enrichment of uranium for the atomic bomb. The plants were built but there was also an entire community to support the employees and families - complete with housing, food service, health care, recreation, transportation, schools and shopping. The employees only knew their individual job roles - no one except the very highest military and civilian leaders actually knew what was going on there. It was only after the bombs were dropped that they learned what they had spent the past two years doing. It also goes on to talk about what happened to the site, the workers and the community after the war ended. It was a gated, tightly controlled, heavily guarded site.