PDA

View Full Version : Our Newest Member Of Family

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Today hubby and I went to PetSmart for litter and food. This gorgous girl won our hearts. She is exploring the house with great fun. Skinny and Thumper arent bothered by her. :)
Her name is Eleanor (she knows that name so we wont change it). She is a gray tabby. 2 yrs old. she was declawed. Her sister Betsy was also up for adoption but she hissed at us so we moved on to Eleanor who won our hearts. Weighed in at 12.5 lbs she has vet appt Monday to get check over. :)

Just like when we got Thumper at PetSmart, we werent looking she adopted us. Same thing here :)

Here are some photos...

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Kids/Eleanor3.jpg

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Kids/Eleanor.jpg

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Kids/Eleanor2.jpg

CatMama78
06-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Yay!!! Congratulations on the new addition. She's quite pretty. I lover her coloring. And I espescially love her candy cane pink nose. Kissies to Eleanor.

kimlovescats
06-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the family, Eleanor! What a pretty girl you are!!!:)

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 03:28 PM
She has similar coloring to Thumper although Thumper has more brown and beige.

Uabassoon
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM
She's such a cutie! I think your next addition should be named Roosevelt :)

K & L
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh she looks like such a sweetheart! CONGRATULATIONS!

jazzcat
06-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful. I'm glad Skinny and Thumper aren't bothered by her. What does she think of them??

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 03:49 PM
She hasnt formed an opinion yet LOL
She did some exploring but now is under our bed getting used to everyone here :) I have broken the rules for introduction. I got a real feel that it was going to be ok when I had her carrier on table and Skinny went to meet her and they just looked at each other and didn't hiss. :)

nibblets
06-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Congratulations! She is a very pretty girl. I have a soft spot for gray/brown tabbys. Julie had her name when we adopted her as well and we kept it. (We call her Kitty most of the time anyway.)
Good Luck on the visit to the vet...wishing her a clean bill of health!
:D

catlady1945
06-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Welcome, beautiful Eleanor!

jazzcat
06-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Craftlady
I have broken the rules for introduction. I got a real feel that it was going to be ok when I had her carrier on table and Skinny went to meet her and they just looked at each other and didn't hiss. :)
No hissing is a good sign but I would keep them apart until she gets a clean bill of health from the vet.

I just remember bringing Jazz home for the first time and I let her and Ripley check each other out for a little bit before I put her in the guest room. Unfortunately I didn't realize she had and URI and that little bit of time Ripley was exposed to her was enough for him to catch it. I've learned my lesson about that and I'm very careful now. Actually I didn't bring Scout home until I could take her to the vet first - maybe a little over cautious but after almost losing Ripley from a severe URI which triggered another infection I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I'm not saying anything like that will happen for you but do be careful.

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Between Boone County Shelter and PetSmart they check them out really well. I will watch her carefully. She will go in her own little room at night with litter and food.

catcrazylady
06-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm so excited for you!!! She is gorgeous! Welcome Eleanor!! You are a very lucky girl!
How old is she? Do you know any of her background? I'm always curious as to how kitties wind up in the shelters.
I'm really happy for your whole family. http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

kitten645
06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
< hums to herself...

Elenor gee I think you swell...ahhhhha!

Welcome to the family wee one.

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 05:26 PM
catcrazylady,
She and her sister Betsy were brought into the shelter on May 25th. then processed to go over to PetSmart. She and her sister were very well taken care of. I found she is 3 yrs old according to rabie certificate vacination papers (April 2001) that they gave us at the shelter. Petsmart had her at age 2 on her cage ticket. We know her previous owners name and address from certificate papers.

Rainbow Bridge, Butterscotch is smiling from heaven :)

NKBurlington
06-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Congratulations!

She is very pretty indeed!

slick
06-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Eleanor!

What a beauty and she looks like she has some Tortie in her??

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 06:47 PM
They consider her a gray tortie

Steffi N
06-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Welcome sweet Eleanor to your forever home, Thank you Craftlady for making her a member of your family. She is lovely, with such soft pretty colors. I am enjoying all the pictures you have posted of her. I hope her vet visit goes well.

Craftlady
06-04-2004, 06:53 PM
We've tired her out from all the excitement. She has retreated back under our bed. I'm sure tomorrow I can get more photos of her as she becomes more comfortable in our house. :)

lisalee
06-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Eleanor is beautiful! She looks happy now. Bless you for adopting her.:)

Lisa & Sash

http://pages.ivillage.com/lisalee992 (Sash's website)

NoahsMommy
06-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Welcome home and welcome to Pet Talk, gorgeous Eleanor!! :)

Congrats on your new baby...she looks like a real sweetie. I'm so glad she's getting along so well with the other kitties. :)

shais_mom
06-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Yea !
SHE is beautiful!!!

Congratulations!

Craftlady
06-05-2004, 04:49 AM
Eleanor did real well in the computer room last night. She heard me get up to potty and started to cry from behind the door, thus I'm up at this ungodly hour 5:45 a.m. :)

She used the litter box over night (went pee) only has bad a few bites of food. I can tell Eleanor is settling down more because she just gave Skinny a good growl. Actually Skinny wasn't doing anything but looking at her. :)

Skinny was fine with things and slept with us as usual. Poor Thumper is pouting upstairs and didn't sleep with us. I'll make sure she is noticed today. :)

catnapper
06-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Congratulations! She's so pretty! I'm glad to hear that she's settling in just fine and using her litter box.

I know exactly what you mean about the cat choosing you. Both cats sorta came to us. I had to convince my husband, but both boys said, "I like this lady. I'm gonna live with her."

jenluckenbach
06-05-2004, 07:23 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!
I am so happy for you!

PayItForward
06-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
CONGRATULATIONS!!
I am so happy for you!
Congratulations on your new arrival :D

And congratulations on clear tests for Thumper & Skinny (I assume I missed a thread along the way) :D

Craftlady
06-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Congratulations on your new arrival :D

And congratulations on clear tests for Thumper & Skinny (I assume I missed a thread along the way) :D

There was no thread to miss, they haven't been "retested".

PayItForward
06-05-2004, 08:39 AM
There was no thread to miss, they haven't been "retested".
I am very surprised that your vet said it was safe to bring in a new cat before your other cats had been re-tested clear.

What did your vet say when you asked him about the new cat ?

catmandu
06-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Thank you , for being , so kind , as to adopt a Mature Cat! Found Cats MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOW For Elanor and her New Guardians!

Craftlady
06-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
I am very surprised that your vet said it was safe to bring in a new cat before your other cats had been re-tested clear.

What did your vet say when you asked him about the new cat ?

I did not consult my vet to get his permission to bring another animal into my home. It's been 90 days plus and everyone is doing well eating, pooping and peeing, no excessive weight loss. I've been monitoring the two of them very closely. Skinny tested negative in Sept. 2003 when he came into our home.

When I did call my vet's office to make followup adoption appt. they said to me "Congradulations"

If people read this and think I'm a irresponsible pet owner so be it. They dont know me very well or that assumption would never cross their minds.

PayItForward
06-05-2004, 09:23 AM
I did not consult my vet to get his permission to bring another animal into my home. It's been 90 days plus and everyone is doing well eating, pooping and peeing, no excessive weight loss. I've been monitoring the two of them very closely. Skinny tested negative in Sept. 2003 when he came into our home.

When I did call my vet's office to make followup adoption appt. they said to me "Congradulations"
It is up to you what you do with your pets but I would of kept the new cat isolated pending clear test results from your others cats :(

It doesn't matter that your original cats were tested clear before Butterscotch passed on, they need to be re-tested now to see if Buterscotch infected them.

It would be sensible to re-testing all three cats to see if any are positive and retest again in 6 months, to be on the safe side.

Don't forget Butterscotch showed no symptoms for 5 years in your home, so waiting 90 days is no indication that your other cats are clear.

Only a blood test can tell you for sure or waiting another 5 years to see if they come up with symptoms.

PayItForward
06-05-2004, 09:40 AM
If people read this and think I'm a irresponsible pet owner so be it. They dont know me very well or that assumption would never cross their minds.
You have acted irresponsible in bringing a healthy cat into a home which had a positive cat without retesting your original cats. :(
It is not an assumption it is a fact. :(

I just hope from the bottom of my heart that you are very lucky and that all your cats are clear. :(

Please consider re-testing them all if you are considering bringing a new cat into your home.:(

~Ps. If you isolate your new cat and retest everyone, she should be clear even if your other cats are sick. In the worst case senerio she could be rehomed. If they are all clear, you have been very lucky and she can be reintergrated.

jenluckenbach
06-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Would you be willing to test your cats now even after the fact? at least you'd have the peace of mind that you would know for sure whether they are clear or not? Why live in fear of the unknown when the test is available?

Craftlady
06-05-2004, 10:49 AM
To All Concerned........

I never said I wasnt going to retest my cats. They are goiing to be retested.

PayItForward
06-05-2004, 11:38 AM
To All Concerned........

I never said I wasnt going to retest my cats. They are goiing to be retested.

Great to hear. :)

What about seperating your healthy new girl until the results come back, to make sure she remains clear ? It is the best thing to do for her sake.

catcrazylady
06-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I want more pictures and stories about how the beautiful Eleanor is doing today!! If she growled at Skinny then I bet in the end they will be best buddies!
I hope all is still going good. Keep us posted because we have already fallen in love with our newest member Eleanor!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Congrats on your new addition!! It always makes me SO HAPPY when an ADULT cat is adopted!!

She is a really pretty girl - please give her kissies on her little pink nosie from me!!!

sirrahbed
06-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Growling at Skinny for nothing?:eek: Looks like Miss Eleanor already knows she is wanting to be the Princess:D

Craftlady
06-05-2004, 04:08 PM
I think she's telling him "she will be boss" LOL
He is so funny, he looks at her and walks away. I'm not saying typical guy here. LOL He just wants to play but she doesn't understand that fact yet. In time she will. :) I have cute photos from this afternoon. After dinner, I will download the camera.

trayi52
06-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Eleanor is gorgeous! Did you say gray tortie? Oh, and I do love those torties! Eleanor is a beautiful girl. I have never seen a gray torties before, and it sure is great to see this one.

Welcome to Pet Talk beautiful Eleanor!! What a sweet and beautiful girl you are!

Willie:)

Uniqueviking
06-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Congratulations :) She is a very pretty girl. Beautiful colours.

krazyaboutkatz
06-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Congrats on your new addition!!! Eleanor is gorgeous.:D

I also hope that all 3 cats receive a clean bill of health too. Please keep us updated.:)