PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Hazel

K & L
06-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Hazel ended up having a HUGE abscess from a cat bite. They had to lance it and put in a drain plug. It was full of puss and blood. She was given a shot of antibiotics and we have to take her to the vet the next couple of days to have the tube flushed and more antibiotics administered. Here's her wound after shaving and lancing:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid120/pd0d76f25f807eaf16ffaca05d7072af3/f8693c53.jpg

Here she is resting:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid120/p9e78cb74fe5a75f9394cce84727fc42c/f8693c49.jpg

sirrahbed
06-04-2004, 09:03 AM
oh! Poor baby! Get better quickly Hazel. Rest and let those antibiotics do the work. awwwww:(

kitten645
06-04-2004, 09:23 AM
poor baby...feel better soon little girl
Claudia

CatMama78
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
POOR HAZEL!!! Aww that is a very bad and infected booboo you have. Feel better soon.

I am glad to hear that the lump was not life threatening at least.

Hopefully Hazel wil heal very quickly.

kimlovescats
06-04-2004, 11:38 AM
OUCH!!!! :eek: Poor Hazel! Well, I am relieved that it wasn't a tumor though, so that is great news!!! Thank you for getting her cared for, I'm sure Miss Hazel is feeling much better now with that old nasty thing cleaned out!!! ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Aww poor Hazel :(

Hope your sore gets better real soon! Sending you gentle luvvies and snuggles!

joanofark
06-04-2004, 11:42 AM
oh, that is so sad:(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Oh my! :eek: Poor Hazel. :( But like CatMama says, at least it is not life threatening, and she appears to be eating so it looks like she'll be fine.

But still....ouchie! :(

lynnestankard
06-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Poor Hazel - lots of nose kissies sweetheart - that must have been so painful for you. Glad the awful thing has been removed - hopefully the pain will now ease up - poor baby xxx

Is she on daily antibiotics Lisa? Whenever Dan has an abscess (believe me he's had quite a few!!) the vet always gives him a BIG shot of antibiotic and then tablets for about 9 days He's an old softy so I crush it up and mix it with a tablespoon of wet food and he's convinced it's his Birthday!!

Please give that brave girl a very soft cuddle from me. :)

Lynne

K & L
06-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Poor Hazel - lots of nose kissies sweetheart - that must have been so painful for you. Glad the awful thing has been removed - hopefully the pain will now ease up - poor baby xxx

Is she on daily antibiotics Lisa? Whenever Dan has an abscess (believe me he's had quite a few!!) the vet always gives him a BIG shot of antibiotic and then tablets for about 9 days He's an old softy so I crush it up and mix it with a tablespoon of wet food and he's convinced it's his Birthday!!

Please give that brave girl a very soft cuddle from me. :)

Lynne

Yes! They gave her a shot yesterday and will pill her today and tomorrow when they flush the wound, and then it will be up to us to do it!

catcrazylady
06-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Bless her heart that just looks awful! I'm sure she must feel better since it has been drained though. Poor baby! She is very lucky she found you or she would have been really sick outside with all that infection.
We have one at the shelter that was brought in with a huge abcess and they opened it up like that. His whole shoulder and front leg were open almost to the bone. It was really nasty to look at but he is now finally healing. It took several months but he is finally scabbed over. It never seemed to bother him once they drained it though.
Abcess's are just such nasty things that poor kitties get so easy. I'm sure glad Hazel will be ok now.

K & L
06-04-2004, 02:39 PM
To think what this poor girl has gone through. If only we knew her story!

Catsnclay
06-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Well that little stinker, Porch!

Good thing Miss Hazel is now an indoor kitty..........how is she adapting??

jazzcat
06-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Ouch, that looks so painful. Poor little thing. I hope she's all better soon.

PJSZOO
06-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Sweet Hazel, I hope you'll soon be on the mend. I had a kitten (he was a stray) that showed up on my porch with his mommy and 4 sisters, who had a horrible wound on his neck. We had to trap him in a humane trap and take him to the vet. The vet said it appeared to be an abscess from a cat bite that had ruptured-the poor baby's neck looked like someone had cut it with a chainsaw it was so ragged and sore. He has now had three surgeries and a few rounds of antibiotics and is doing wonderfully-all healed up with just some small scars. The biggest problem we had was keeping him from scratching at the wound and ripping it open. He is now a very contented (and spoiled) inside kitty who is about 10 months old named Sebastian. I hope all goes well with Hazel, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

K & L
06-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by PJSZOO
Sweet Hazel, I hope you'll soon be on the mend. I had a kitten (he was a stray) that showed up on my porch with his mommy and 4 sisters, who had a horrible wound on his neck. We had to trap him in a humane trap and take him to the vet. The vet said it appeared to be an abscess from a cat bite that had ruptured-the poor baby's neck looked like someone had cut it with a chainsaw it was so ragged and sore. He has now had three surgeries and a few rounds of antibiotics and is doing wonderfully-all healed up with just some small scars. The biggest problem we had was keeping him from scratching at the wound and ripping it open. He is now a very contented (and spoiled) inside kitty who is about 10 months old named Sebastian. I hope all goes well with Hazel, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

They said this would've ruptured soon if she hadn't gotten in!!

NKBurlington
06-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Aww! :heartbreaking:

I'm sure you'll take extra special care of poor Hazel.

Get well soon little girl!

Grace
06-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm so glad it was just an abscess - all night long I was worried about it being something else.

Hazel is such a lucky lady to have you for a mom. Please give her a hug for me.

slick
06-04-2004, 06:48 PM
She is so blessed to have you looking after her. :) Hugs to you and kisses to Hazel. Get better soon.

PJSZOO
06-04-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm so glad you got Hazel help in time, she's lucky to have such a wonderful mommy. I'll say a prayer for her speedy recovery!!!

smokey the elder
06-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Poor Hazel! I'm so glad you got that nasty owie taken care of. She seems to be eating well, though.