PDA

View Full Version : My Beloved Missy

Heather JC
06-03-2004, 04:37 PM
I am a new member who has joined this group to help in the grieving process after losing my beloved Missy 3 weeks ago today. She died as a result of a tragic fall from my balcony 12 storeys. She had just turned 8 less than a week before, on Mother's Day, and had been my devoted companion since she was a kitten. She was almost human in her personality and the way in which we communicated. I blame myself for the way in which she died, as I had left the balcony door open and then was distracted by a phone call. Missy had ventured up on the railing many times, much to my horror, and she knew full well this was forbidden territory, but that night she chose to tempt fate one more time, and for some unknown reason, she slipped. By the time I discovered her missing, she had been found by 2 very caring gentlemen and rushed to an animal hospital where she died. I searched the ground, panic-stricken, and found nothing. I put in such a dreadful night not knowing what had happened to my Missy. Early in the morning I posted a photo and message in the mail room, and went out to search again, this time finding evidence of where she landed. Soon afterwards a young woman came to me in my apt. to bring me the dreaded news. A friend came with me to the hospital to claim her body. I brought her home and held her one last time. She looked so peaceful, sleeping in my arms, but how I missed the steady rhythm of her purring. She is buried now in my parents' garden under apple trees in the country where she loved to sit and watch the birds. Three weeks have passed, and it just doesn't seem to get any easier. The nights especially are terrible, and when I first come home from work, she was always there to meet me. She was such a special part of my life and brought me so much joy and comfort. I am just so grateful that she was in caring hands at the end, and not left to die on the ground for me to find her late at night. I am hoping by sharing my memories of Missy with other cat lovers, the grieving process will be helped along. I am adding one of my favourite pictures of my little Missy.
Thankyou.
Heather

CalliesMom
06-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Heather I am so sorry for the loss of you cat! Missy was absolutely beautiful and I know you loved her very much. May she play hard at the RB and know someday you will be with her again.

victoria
06-03-2004, 04:49 PM
so sad for you

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Heather, I am so sorry for your tragic loss. It is clear in your tribute to Missy that you love her dearly. Only time can heal your heart, but please be comforted in knowing that we here at PT understand how devasted you feel. You are among friends that understand how much kitties like Missy purr their way deep into our hearts.

jazzcat
06-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm so sorry. How terribly tragic.:(

She is such a beautiful girl. I know you miss her very much.

Rest in peace sweet Missy.

kimlovescats
06-03-2004, 07:05 PM
What a horrible and tragic loss for you. Try not to beat yourself up over this, you showed Missy many loving years! :(

RedHedd
06-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Heather, Welcome to PT. I wish the circumstances of your joining us were more joyful. Please know that you are not alone in your loss. I joined PT a little over a year ago when my beloved Goldie died of liver cancer at the age of 15. It doesn't matter how long or short they were a part of our lives, we will never forget their unconditional love. Your Missy was much loved during her time with you. Just know that she is safe and pain free over the Rainbow Bridge.

PT helped me to grieve my loss and helped me as I made the decision to adopt two cats as my heart and home felt so empty without Goldie in my life. Mishi and Mitzi haven't taken Goldie's place - there will always be a Goldie shaped place in my heart. They purr their way into our lives and make new cat paw imprints on our hearts and lives.

Take your time grieving; each of us is different in how we heal. Just know that you're not alone and that PT is a safe place to talk about the pain of your loss.

Georgia

catmandu
06-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Sadly Missy proved the adage that Curiousity Killed the Cat! We are sorry , for your loss , as there have been Two Found Cats , Gem , and Orangie , who met sad Ends Too! Missy , is now in Cat Heaven , and will see you again , one day!

catlover4ever
06-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Heather I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish that your welcoming to Pet Talk was under happier circumstances. Please know that you are in the right place for support. We have all been there and even if I tell you that it does get easier as time goes by, it still is not enough to ease an aching heart.

Missy is now in good company, playing just the other side of the Rainbow Bridge with some of the most loved pets that we have all had.

My Tony, Cleo and Tobias will keep her company and show her the ropes....she will have many friends.

Denyce
06-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Heather,

We can't totally know the sorrow that you are feeling, however your story has conveyed some of the love and loss you are feeling for your Missy. What a tragic and sad event. She looks so much like my beloved Smokey who was my first cat. She passed on in Sept of 1995. I can emphathize with some of the guilt and pain you are feeling right now. Nothing can really make you feel better but time. I am so incredibly sorry you are having to go through this. We are here for you at Pet Talk....Welcome....I am sorry it wasn't under better circumstances.

Denyce

Heather JC
06-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Thank you all so very much for your messages of understanding and comfort. I seemed to reach an all time low last night, but perhaps I have turned a corner. Today I planted my balcony flowers, something Missy and I would have done together, although she would have supervised the job as she chased the rays of sun around. This job should have been done weeks ago, but I couldn't bring myself to do it until today. I have set aside a little area of my balcony garden as a tribute to Missy, and I know that as I sit there in the evenings watching the sun set over the beautiful Ottawa River, my little Missy is with me in spirit. I look forward to sharing stories of her antics with all of you. She was a character, a tease, a comedienne, an acrobat, a show-off and most of all, she showed me every day how much she loved me.
This photo was taken last Christmas.
Heather (Missy's Mom)

kimlovescats
06-04-2004, 07:43 PM
I just feel so sad for you, Heather. :( But I think that you are right about her memory ... and that she will forever be in your heart, and we would love to hear more about her wonderful life!;)

Karen
06-04-2004, 07:56 PM
The healing has begun, that's a good and healthy thing. You know, I am sure, that Missy will always be with you, and be in your heart. And I bet if, late at night, when all is quiet and you close your eyes, you can still hear the echo of her purrrr that will be there for you always when you most need it.

trayi52
06-04-2004, 09:55 PM
I am so sorry, Heather. You must be feeling so much pain. The pain does seem to intensify at night, I don't know why, but it does. I lost a cat that was very beloved to me a couple years ago, it just seemed like I missed her more of a night. She seemed to always be there, and then when she was gone, I just couldn't seem to function for such a long time, the sound of her purring, her wrapping herself around my neck, when I was on the computer, God how I missed that!

I am crying for you as I type this, I am just so sorry, that you are having to go through such a terrible time.

It will take time for your heart to mend, but as Karen said the healing process has started. My heart goes out to you, and I will keep you in my prayers.

Willie

davidpizzica
06-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Heather, it isn't easy losing a beloved kitty. My beloved siamese, Thai passed away last August 23rd. She lived to the age of 22 years. Whether it's 3 weeks or ten months the hurt is still there. And don't blame yourself for the circumstances of her falling.you couldn't help it. Heather, take comfort in the fact that she is now playing over the rainbow bridge,romping around with my Thai.

slick
06-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Heather: Missy is a beautiful girl and I know you must miss her very much, but please don't beat yourself up about what happened. I can't imagine how much you must be hurting and I wish there was something I could say to ease your pain. I'm so glad you joined Pet Talk because you will find it to be a great source of strength when you need it.

Take comfort in knowing that Missy waits for you and is watching over you every day until you meet again.

Hugs to you Heather.

lynnestankard
06-05-2004, 04:59 PM
{{{Hugs}}} Heather and Welcome (however sad is it) to Pet Talk.

Dear Missy will never leave your heart and soon the memories may spark a smile and very soon a giggle.

She's waiting at the Bridge for her dear Meowmie to arrive - but meantime having so much fun playing with all the other much loved furries.

My tears fall as I type this. RIP dear Missy.

Lynne

mnmmichael
06-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I am sorry this happened to you. She looks to be a very kind cat. I have one reccomendation, though. I don't mean to rush you through the process, but if you feel ready, get a new cat. Your cat probably has other friends up in heaven, and through the kind years you treated it, it wants you to be happy, too.

8 is a young dying age. It probably happened because god missed her so much, that he wanted to be re-united with her:) .

By the way, welcome to pet talk.

Logan
06-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Heather, I missed your initial post, and for that, I sincerely, apologize. :( Your Missy was obviously much loved and we completely understand your grief. I'm glad that in the last couple of weeks that you have begun that tough healing process. I hope you will keep your wonderful memories alive.

Rest in peace, Missy.

AmberLee
06-17-2004, 01:38 PM
So sorry for your loss. Missy was very beautiful.

I believe she is happy and enjoying frolicking at the Rainbow Bridge.

Don't beat yourself up... accidents happen.

rosethecopycat
06-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Heather,

Condolences for your loss.

Please don't let guilt consume you, because it will, if it can.

Think about the happy times with Missy.

May the sting of your pain, subside and you find the peace of knowing her love.

Godspeed to the bridge, Missy

Rose

Heather JC
06-18-2004, 09:07 AM
All your very caring messages have meant so much to me, thank you. It is now just over 5 weeks and there are those who think I need a new little companion to help with the healing process. I know in my heart I am not ready. But I allowed my self to think perhaps they were right when I saw a photo of an orange tabby for adoption in the newspaper. It said Jack was lovable and loved life, and even though he hadn't had a happy life, he was optimistic. I began to think perhaps we needed each other. I visited the animal shelter on Mon., met Jack and he was indeed a handsome fellow and friendly enough, but there was no chemistry between us. I held several cats in my arms -- I was looking for a sign, and didn't find one -- some reached their paw out of the cage toward me, which broke my heart. It was just too painful and I broke down and had to leave.
I was reminded of the day I went to choose a kitten almost 8 years ago. I was referred by a friend to someone who had 3 to give away to good homes. The girl had brought them from the country to her apt. and I arranged to meet her there to see the kittens. When we arrived, the 3 kittens (2 female and 1 male) were sitting on a sofa watching TV. They were not huddled together for company or comfort, but rather seemed to prefer their own space. The male (all white) sat on the far arm of the sofa, one of his sisters sat in the middle of the sofa, and the other sister sat on the arm nearest where I stood. When I approached the sofa, the male immediately got up (as any good gentleman would do) but proceeded to turn his back on me and sat down again with his back to me. The female in the centre jumped up and ran and hid under a chair. But the other little one nearest me took one look at me, lowered her head and looked at me sideways and rolled over on her back, in an endearing way, exposing her beautiful white furry tummy for me to tickle. The girl said she had never seen her do this before. I spoke to the kitten as I stroked her tummy and asked her if she would like to come and live with me and she went into contortions of delight. I had gone that day to choose a kitten, but I left that day being the one chosen. She had chosen me. I returned the following day to take her home, and as I look back at my calendar for that date, August 7, 1996-- the entry merely reads "Missy came".
Little did I know what her coming would mean to my life. And of course now, I will wait to be chosen again.
Missy's Mom

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-18-2004, 09:16 AM
What a beautiful story, Heather. I'm sure the day will come when you will be chosen again, and then you will be able to open your heart to a new kitty who will not replace Missy, but will be a new companian and friend to you.

lynnestankard
06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Oh Heather such a sweet story on how your beloved Missy came into your life and home.

You'll know when the times right for you to invite another furry into your house. When we lost our Siamese called Kisi - I was adamant that I would never have another cat - I couldn't go through all the pain again etc etc etc. Then 10 months later two of the sweetest babies came into our life followed 4 weeks later by the third one!! Go with your gut reaction and don't rush.
You have lots of mourning to do over sweet Missy - your five weeks down the road and doing well - it will get better - promise.
{{Hugs}} across the miles.

Lynne

Kirsten
06-19-2004, 03:08 PM
OMG Heather, this is tragic!!! I'm sorry you have lost your Missy that way! Poor baby!! She looks so cute in the pictures!

I know the grieving process is long and sad, but it will get better. Missy wouldn't want you to grieve forever.

And I'm sure you WILL BE chosen again some day - when the time is right!

(((HUGS)))
R.I.P. Missy!

Kirsten