PDA

View Full Version : coat colors

wayne0214
01-03-2002, 07:01 PM
There is one kitty in my menagerie that has a blue and blotched tan coat. I don't recall seeing any name for such a coloration. Would she be considered a tortie, or perhaps by some other name? Also, she is turning out to be just as affectionate and even more so, than Princess -readily gives kitty kisses!

..............wayne

libracats
01-03-2002, 08:03 PM
I beleive your kitty is called a Blue(or blue-cream)Tortie. Heres a picture of one I found by doing a search.I just love this color. Blue-cream Tortie (http://katzen.zuchtbuch.de/show?nr=00246-001-001)

wayne0214
01-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Libracats, yes, that is some resemblance of her (Cookie Cat's) color. ( wish I could read German, as my ancestors did). maybe I'll have time to scan the internet in the morning or even on Saturday, and look her up. Thanks for the reply and information. Cookie is the only cat of mine that has this coat-color pattern.

Cougie Wechsler
01-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Being an Abyssinian, Cougie is pretty much that Ruddy, Reddish Brown color with some white thrown in around the nose.

Grace is solid black

Maximus is orange

Only Fester with grey and black stripes is really the multi-colored of the bunch. He does have an interesting patch of brown on his head, however, that does not occur anywhere else on his body!

wayne0214
01-08-2002, 05:58 AM
OK, all, I have looked over the internet all day Saturday and part of Sunday and did not find another picture of a blue-cream colored cat. I'm beginning to wonder if Cookie is a "rare" colored feline. That she is a tortie is verified by having a two-colored chin,(tan and blue) which one web site said that all torties have. Has anyone seen another cat of this color and are they common?

......wayne

libracats
01-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Hi Wayne, Since this is a coat color and not a breed maybe if you look at some breeds they might have some pictures of this coloring. I volunteer for a cat rescur group and we see a form of this coloring from time to time. We get some (what we call) muted calico's and muted Torties(alot of thes are also tabbys.(then they are called Torbies) They all ar ethat gray color with peach blotches. Heres another pic of a Blue Tortie
Blue Tortie (http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/~henry/cats/Suki.html)

Karen
01-08-2002, 06:03 PM
I looked in a book on cats I have and it lists a "blue cream" color variation in most breeds of cats, and it doesn't list it as rare, but maybe many people don't know they're called that!

Of all the hundreds of cats that have been Cat of the Day, only 36 mention "tortie" or "tortoiseshell: and only 7 say blue-cream or cream, but lots of the ones people just put "domestic shorthair" for, like Scooter (http://catoftheday.com/archive/2000/August/24.html) or Esmerelda (http://catoftheday.com/archive/1998/October/28.html) probably could be called "blue-cream" or tortie, or dilute ... so searching for "blue tortie" or blue-cream" on the Internet might be hard, though they're probably out there and just called "my cat!."

wayne0214
01-08-2002, 07:56 PM
Ok all, thanks for all the interest in this post. Libracats, the 5th picture in the row of blue torties is a good representation of Cookie's colors. So, I assume that we can call her either a "blue tortie" or a "blue-cream tortie". Since I hadn't found an easy accessible picture of this color of cat, I was beginnig to believe that she was a "rare" color pattern.

.......wayne

NoahsMommy
01-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Wayne, do Princess and Cookie Cat have green eyes? It looks like Noel's eyes are turning brown, is that normal? I thought all torties had green eyes...

wayne0214
01-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Noah'smommy, no, their eyes are somewhat yellow. I don't believe that all torties have green eyes, at least that has been my experience with them.

I had only one green-eyed kittty and I lost him to a loose dog months before I came on this site. I was sick over the loss of my favorite, and very affectionate, part-Aby male with the beautiful green eyes. Ever since then, I have decided to keep all my kittens and females in the house at night. I didn't care how much of mess or noise they made, I was determined that I will not lose any more of my young furkids to stray dogs. So far I havn't lost any more. This year has been a bad year for losses, not only of my furkids this last spring, but economically, and (my) health-wise also.:(

NoahsMommy
01-22-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm very sorry for all of your losses Wayne... :( If there is anything I can do, let me know. The loss of health can be absolutely terrible both physically and emotionally. Just keep your spirits (or whose ever health it is) up and know that you are cared for.

That is a really good idea to keep kitties inside at night. N & N only are allowed on our balcony (one at a time) when we are out there to watch them. We are upstairs and a jump would result in a run away kitty. There are LOTS of dogs and other kitties that fight in our complex, it is no way safe for our sheltered babies. (Although, I am sure they would disagree! :rolleyes: )

My hubby's parents have a tortie...her name is Zep. She is much lighter than Noel, is she like your Cookie Cat? (She has those gorgous green eyes)
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/5/49/91/22854991IwuYToWUFy_ph.jpg

NoahsMommy
01-22-2002, 02:57 PM
oooooh, her eyes look kind of scarey huh? This picture was taken with a old digital camera at least a year ago...sadly, she is still this fat. :(

wayne0214
01-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Noah's mommy, thanks for the thought of help. I have lost too many furkids over the years here, by not keeping them inside at night. About 2 weeks ago, we were having a lot of rain, and all of my furkids were sleeping inside -all 18 of them! But you know, they had their little chosen places and nooks to sleep in, and the place, even though it is small, wasn't crowded with cats. :)

I took a look at Zep. My Cookie cat is mostly blue with a few spots of tan on her. But she still has the two-color chin, which I'm finding to be common to all torties, regardless of their coloration.

I was looking at Bluezette's eyes today, and they are also turning green. She is part Abyssinian and looks a bit "scary" with her all blue coat and those yellow/green eyes, looking at you from a distance.

.......wayne:cool:

NoahsMommy
01-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Wayne,

You have 18 furbabies?? Cool!! Are they all cats? I'm sorry if you've explained this already...would you indulge me? I would love to hear about them... I know of three. (Cookie Cat, Princess and the one with snow in her name)

Hope all is well with you. Please take care of yourself!

K & L
01-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Your cat could be what they call a diluted calico. Same colorings as a calico only faded looking.

wayne0214
01-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Noah's Mommy, yes, i have 18 furkids, but not all of them stay inside at night. Generally, I keep the large males outside, because they are most able to take care of themselves, with all of the little winter houses and those inside the work shop.

For a run-down on my inside furkids, the most famous is Snow Cat, an all white flame point Siamese. Next is Snow Tiger. He is an adopted lilac-lynx point Siamese. Then there is Fawn, an exceptionally small male kitty, named for his color. Jumper is a black Abyssinian, with Aby's eyes and other body features including habits common to that breed of cat. If he wasn't all black I believe he would pass as a thorough-bred Aby. Then there is an all blue part-Aby named Bluzette. She is very pretty but not too much on the affection -not like jumper . Her eyes are somewhat of a green/yellow and with her blue facial features, she can have a "ghostly appearance"! Bright-eyes is a part aby, torbie. I named her because of her very bright, expressive yellow eyes. A super-intelligent cat and an excellent communicator with body language. Next, would be Orphan, a small black cat like Fawn. He is named because of being the only survivor of a feral mom. Zippy Cat, is a male with deep tabby colors tan and black, and aqua colored eyes. He acts hyper all the time and never does anything in slow motion. Then there is a mackerel colored tabby, her name is(what else!) Mackerella. then there is Princess, a Tortie, and Fluffy, another large tortie for a female. So far I count 12 furkids. (to be continued)

..........wayne

purrley
01-29-2002, 07:38 AM
WOW WAYNE:eek: :eek: I got in trouble for having 4!!!!

wayne0214
01-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Where I live, I can have this many furkids and no one says much of anything -well, most of the time! The next-door resident, sometimes complains about all the kitty poop around the place. I'm attempting to take care of that, however.:D

I think between me and a few of the neighbors there must be at least 45 felines in the immediate area. They usually stay around their homes -not wandering off too far.