PDA

View Full Version : Microchipping Information - Please read and share

Logan
06-03-2004, 09:48 AM
This was on CBS's early show this morning.. Good info to pass on to others..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/02/earlyshow/living/petplanet/main620813.shtml

Just yesterday, I had my rescue boy, Zipper, chipped with an AVID microchip. The rescue group received a generous financial donation that enabled them to buy the equipment, the chips, etc and now they are microchipping all of the rescue Goldens at no cost to the owner. I had Lilly and Honey, my other Goldens, chipped years ago at $50/dog. Previously, our rescue group had tatooed, instead. When I was at the group President's home, having the procedure done, we were talking about the messed up Humane Societies in Greenville and Spartanburg counties (South Carolina), and I asked her if they scan the way they should. She said that on 3 occasions that she knew of, they had pulled Goldens from the pound in Greenville County and the dogs had NEVER been scanned and were on their way to being euthanized when they were pulled by rescue. In each of those cases, the dogs had chips, but no one had bothered to scan them. I guess it doesn't matter what the chip is if the shelters aren't bothering to scan for any of them! I was horrified.

Logan

Aspen and Misty
06-03-2004, 11:55 AM
O wow, I felt so safe having Nova microchipped. The only shelter around here is the one we got her Microchipped at. Then all the vets have the same Microchipp reader. Boy, I sure hope Nova never gets lost.

Ash