PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Magoo has graduated from Kindergarten!

catcrazylady
06-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Mr. Magoo has moved on to the first grade and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things are ok at home!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/eek.gif
He has started something new. At night when his outing is over he seems to know we are about to put him back in his cage and runs and hides under a shelf in the corner of the bathroom. So hubby and I decided last night that maybe it was time for him to spend the days in the bathroom where he would have more room to roam. He loves to stay in there during storms too. He is very scared of thunder.
So this morning as we were about to leave I put his litter box and food in the bathroom and took him in there. He seemed a little freaked out. He didn't understand why he was in there so early in the morning. I gave him some treats and put them in his food bowl to make sure he knew where it was then closed the door. As I was leaving he had his paws under the door pulling at the carpet and he was crying. Maggie Sue was on the other side of the door smacking his paw everytime he stuck it out! Brat!
I felt so bad leaving him all stressed out but I'm hoping that he will get used to it and like it better than the cage. I felt so sorry for him because he seemed so confused! I hope I did right but I'm trying to make life better for him. Keep you fingers crossed that he settled down quickly and that he is ok at home.
Let's hope that by the time we reach second grade it will be with the other cats!!
I'm feeling guilty for leaving him crying and I'm now thinking that maybe we should have done it on a weekend. Do you all think he is ok?

catnapper
06-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Congrats Mr. Magoo! Sounds like you're moving along nicely now that you've calmed down for a month. Maggie Sue must like him because you only torment the ones you love! ;) :D

Craftlady
06-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Considering his past history and I know he is medicated now I still would of waited until weekend to try this new procedure. He will be ok once he realizes the food, water and treats are near him.

catlover4ever
06-03-2004, 08:12 AM
One little step at a time for Mr. Magoo. I think you are doing wonderfully with Mr. Magoo. Maggie Sue must have a thing for Magoo because like Catnapper said "You only torment the ones you LOVE!!!"

May I offer a suggestion that may or may not work for Magoo. If today does not go well for Magoo, maybe tomorrow you could try putting Magoo in his cage and then taking him into the bathroom and then open the door to his cage. This way Magoo has his so called security blanket...his cage. If you take him in there with his cage and leave the door open for him then he can come out of the cage on his own terms....if you know what I mean. Just a thought....again I think you are really doing a fine job with Magoo. --- Meg

catcrazylady
06-03-2004, 08:17 AM
That's a great idea Meg! Too bad I didn't think about that this morning!! I'm not sure that everything will fit in there though because I have a very small bathroom. I think once he settled down he will be fine. He has stayed in the bathroom for hours in the evening. When he doesn't want to come out I just shut the door and let him stay in there until we are ready to go to bed. He loves it then. I think I just threw his routine this morning and I'm just afraid that he was kind of panicked. I'm just worried and hopefully for nothing. I know he will be ok it's just that I don't want him to stress. I think I stress more than him though!

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-03-2004, 08:23 AM
I think you are doing a wonderful job with Mr. magoo.

I was going to suggest too putting Magoo's cage in the bathroom with him... that way he can get used to first grade while having a little bit of kindergarten with him!!:D

GO MR. MAGOO WE LOVE YOU!!

catlover4ever
06-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky

GO MR. MAGOO WE LOVE YOU!!

GO MAGOO, GO MAGOO, GO MAGOO!!!!!!!

CatMama78
06-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Aww, I think the lovely Magoo will be just fine. I'm sure he was a little panicked but he'll be ok within the hour. I was actually going to suggest the same thing catlover did. I know you mentioned the bathroom was small. Does it have a tub? You could put the cage in the tub if it fits to conserve room. Good Luck!. He's come a long way from the beginning. I just know in a couple of months time, he'll be adjusted and comfortable and happy with his new family.

catmandu
06-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Once Scrappy Paddingtom Magoo , gets his bearings , he will be all right , he was quite good , at the Found cats Paartee , as he stayed , on the Koxka cat tree! He sounds as though he has to settle , into new routines , which all cats resist! WE are praying for Scrappy Magoo , and hope that he becomes a part, of your Clowder Soon!

Twink
06-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Well, it is graduation season, after all! :D Go Magoo!

Like everyone else, I think you're doing a wonderful job with him! I'm sure he'll be fine today, once he gets used to the idea. :)

K & L
06-03-2004, 08:54 AM
He'll do just fine, especially once he realizes he has more room to relax in! We have to leave the kittens crying everyday in the bathroom. We come home and they're just fine! Great job with Mr. Magoo...he's one lucky kitty to have found you.

slick
06-03-2004, 10:23 AM
I was getting ready for work and thinking about Mr. Magoo and how he was doing.

Sounds like he's slowly coming around. Don't feel guilty about the bathroom thing. In time he will come to like it better than the cage.

Bless you for keeping this little kitty.

sirrahbed
06-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I bet ole Magoo is happily sleeping away the day by now Meowmie:-) But since worry is your specialty;) , you are going to do it anyway (takes one to recognize one!!) Let us know this evening - OK?:D

jazzcat
06-03-2004, 11:08 AM
I bet once he realized exactly where he was and that he's okay he settled right down. Don't worry too much. You just changed his routine but I'm sure he has figured it out and is quite happy to have the room to roam.

RICHARD
06-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Do you all think he is ok?

Is this the same problem child you spoke about a few weeks ago??:confused: ;)

Thanks for giving the 'Goomeister a chance to unpack his bags.

Sometimes thunder scares me too!:D

nibblets
06-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm sure he will be fine. As it was stated previously...He's probably sleeping the day away all sprawled out in his extra space.

You all are doing a great job with him. I always jump on the posts about Magoo. He seems to be coming along at his own pace. He has a few extra issues so its to be expected that he might be a bit more of a challange. You have to do a lot of guesswork with him. I know Julie's 'eye language' speaks volumes to me in helping me understand what she needs. Magoo is a harder read to be sure. I'll bet one day in the not so distant future you will be telling us how you left the bathroom door open and they all got along fine all day long.

Julie and I agree with Magoo and Richard...thunder can be scarey...especially with the horrendous storms the Midwest has been having lately.

kimlovescats
06-03-2004, 02:33 PM
CCL, I am sure that once Mr. Magoo realizes he has the entire room all to himself, and that hissy girl is on the OUTSIDE of the door :rolleyes: he will be JUST FINE!!!

You and your hubby are doing an excellent job with Mr. Magoo!!!:D

Randi
06-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh, it must be nice for Magoo to have that extra space, even though he protested to begin with. He'll hopefully adjust very soon and feel safe there! :)

I can hardly wait for you come home form work and tell more ....

RedHedd
06-03-2004, 10:28 PM
OK you must be home from work by now CCL. Could we have an update please or do I have to resort to whining? :p

catcrazylady
06-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Ok, I decided to put Magoo back in Kindergarten for a few more days. He didn't eat anything or use his litter box and seemed as happy as a little lark to get back in his cage. I think he feels safe there unless we are home with him. I don't know if I should just force the issue and make him expand himself or just let him live in the cage unless we are home. He refused to step in the bathroom at all last night and that used to be his favorite safe spot. I guess we will just let him make the choice and that means cage. He slept solid and sound for several hours after we put him in his cage. He must have had a very trying day. Poor boy.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/frown.gif Late last night he did come out and totally kicked "chicken butt" so I think he took his frustrations out on that. Glad it wasn't me this time! http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gifhttp://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catlady1945
06-04-2004, 06:50 AM
It's probably best to go at his pace. He feels secure in his cage, so let him stay there for a while.

PayItForward
06-04-2004, 06:56 AM
Ok, I decided to put Magoo back in Kindergarten for a few more days. He didn't eat anything or use his litter box and seemed as happy as a little lark to get back in his cage. I think he feels safe there unless we are home with him. I don't know if I should just force the issue and make him expand himself or just let him live in the cage unless we are home. He refused to step in the bathroom at all last night and that used to be his favorite safe spot. I guess we will just let him make the choice and that means cage. He slept solid and sound for several hours after we put him in his cage. He must have had a very trying day. Poor boy.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/frown.gif Late last night he did come out and totally kicked "chicken butt" so I think he took his frustrations out on that. Glad it wasn't me this time! http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gifhttp://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
IMO I would always have the cage for him, he needs to know he has a safe space for him, always.

Even if he was fully intergrated with your fur kids, it would be best if the cage stayed.

catcrazylady
06-04-2004, 07:00 AM
I agree. He will probably always be caged during the day when we are at work. I really don't see him intergrating with the current kitties. I just don't think that is ever going to happen. I guess if he's happy with the way things are then we will just keep it that way. It's better than shelter life and he's healthy and seems happy enough. I suppose I have a forever new piece of furniture in my TV room. A big black cage! Oh well, such is life I suppose.:) :) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

catlover4ever
06-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Well at least you gave it a try....that is better than not giving it a try. :) You know maybe someday it will happen.

I know that my Tucker is not like Magoo (she is not blind) but I can tell you that it took a little over a year for her to even put her head inside our house.....then she would come in and eat her meals and then right back out. Then she would come in and take a nap on the kitchen floor......now she rules the roost.

I just had to learn that this process was on her terms and not mine....Magoo will let you know when he is ready to go to first grade.

Keep up the GOOD WORK!!!!! :) :)

Randi
06-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
I can tell you that it took a little over a year for her to even put her head inside our house.....then she would come in and eat her meals and then right back out. Then she would come in and take a nap on the kitchen floor......now she rules the roost.

I just had to learn that this process was on her terms and not mine....Magoo will let you know when he is ready to go to first grade.
It was very much like that with Fister - and you all know, that now, he's the boss here! :D

I do agree, let Magoo do it in his own time! :)

How about keeping the cage door open at weekends while you're around? That would be safe for everybody, and you could see how the others react and of course see if Magoo wants to explore.

nibblets
06-04-2004, 10:04 AM
I suppose I have a forever new piece of furniture in my TV room. A big black cage! Oh well, such is life I suppose.:) :) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

In the 'Doctors Foster & Smith' pet supply catalog they have a nice rattan pet residence which would look like a piece of furniture.... Here is a link to see it: Rattan cage (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9115&D=rattan&R=24686&Ntt=rattan&Ntk=All&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2001)

They aren't cheap, but if you want it to be less conspicuous, it might be something to consider.