PDA

View Full Version : Rex chasing bykes, new bad behaviour.

Canis Amicus
06-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Except for being dog aggressive, Rex always walked ignoring bykes, cars, baby carriages, motos, children, etc.

Since last week he has been chasing bycicles. It began only on evenings, if the bykers would ride at the pedestrians trail without light on in the dark. But now he is doing it during the day too. It is not kind of aggressive, it is in a very playful mood: barking and wagging his tail, with a "smile". I am very upset with his new bad manner.

I shout NO, pop his choke collar back. He doesn't care. One time i took his cheeks in my hands and looked into his eyes yelling: NOOOO.
It scares people, and i think is also dangerous for all involved.

This began last week when he was diagnosed with Conjunctivitis. The vet gave him Maxtrol. He is healed now, i think.

I am concerned with this new bad behaviour, bc here, bycicles are transportations means, not only for leisure, and lot of people go to work or school on their bykes, year round, now, because begining of summer, there are much more bykes on the way.

Of course, i will tell his trainer at the dog school next saturday, but i would like to hear if some of you had this kind of experience with your dog.

Thank you.

Rosana
and
Rex, German Shepherd, 3y

Canis Amicus
06-05-2004, 12:57 AM
I am trying to splash him with water from a squirt (?) bottle. Works at the moment. But here is raining for a whole week!!!

Today i took a newspaper rolled, when he chases, i hit the newspaper on my legs, this brings his attention back to me, till the next byke.

Today (Saturday) we go to dog school, i hope the trainer has any effective idea.

Canis Amicus
06-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I also tried throwing peebles on the ground when he acts, worked some times, and I had to hold the peebles in my hands and show him, so he wouldn't bark to the next byke.

This week I put some coins in an empty beer can which I throw on the ground or shake, and it is working better than the other things I tried; when he sees a byke coming, he looks at me, and I show him or shake the can, he behaves well, he gets a praise or a treat.

He already left a couple of bykes ride by in peace! I hope he will relearn how to behave toward bykes.

It is so unpleasant when he barks at the bykes and the bykers call him names and curse him, I take it to my heart, and feel offended myself, and I feel ashamed for his misbehavior.

I talked to his obedience instructor about this, he said that I should yell NO, ok i did, it didn't work.

Have a nice day.

Rosana
and
Rex