PDA

View Full Version : poss. in heat & got outdoors

lv4dogs
06-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Sorry if some of this may not make sense, I copied it from my LJ. I did edit it for here but I may have missed soemthing.
anyways:

My mom was critter sitting this weekend & Meko kitty got outside sometime Fri. while I was at work before my mom even came over to my house. I am pretty sure she pushed the screen to one of my windows out as there was a tuft of Meko fur there. It was NOT damaged at all prior to this as I inspected it before I left for work. She has been trying for weeks now to get out through the screens. So I have to think of some way to prevent that. I have no idea how though. She is trying even harder now that she knows she can get out & there is NO WAY I can keep the windows shut due to the heat. I don't want my a/c on when it is not too hot, but it gets too hot with the windows shut. She did not rip the screen she pushed it out. This is a toughie to fix!

Anyways she is such a lover & it is hard to tell if she is in heat right now but she kind of acts like it, butt is in the air quite often, but no meowing, she has never realy been too talkative, she is just 6 months old, she was in heat a couple weeks ago. She has an appointment to be spayed in 2 weeks exactly (I thought it was this week but I marked it wrong on my calender) anyways my mom did not see her the whole weekend so therefore she could not catch her. I got home Mon afternoon & finally found her. There are TONS & TONS of stray & outdoor cats in my area.

6 month old female kitty + 3 days w/ many other kitties= pregnant kitty right? Probably, most likely yes.

I should probably keep the spay date & if she is preggers I should just abort the kitties as there are way too many of them in need of homes right now. I used to work at a vets & also volunteer at shelters & I tell people to do this all the time but now it has happened to me & I will feel so darn bad if she is pregnant & I get the kitties aborted. Oh this is killing me. I really do not kitties & I do not want to add the population but I do not want to abort the kitties.

And my leuk/fiv test just went down the tubes as she could of contacted either while she was out, or something else entirely.
She does have 3 or 4 tiny tiny scratches near her ears (did not need treatment) but leads me to believe even more so that she got laid. The doc thinks so too.
She has pretty long fur & I searched & searched for other scratches but could not find any.
She also has a scratched eye, we already have some neobaxamix (sp?) for that.
I tried to get an earlier appt. for her spay as if I can get it done in the next couple days I won't feel bad about aborting the kitties if there are any but any longer than that & I will be so sad. But there are no openings, I even begged my vet. I may just call around & if another good vet in my area has an opening I may get her in, even though I love my vet.

I guess this love for her is making me keep her despite my allergies to her. She is a great cat!

I think once I get her spayed she will be an indoor/outdoor cat. That will mostly solve the window problem, but until then...???? I have no idear.

Does anyone know how soon you can tell if she is pregnant? I looked at her privates in hopes to find something that would help me determine if she did mate or not, but it still looks the same as before, normal.

moosmom
06-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Go through with the spay, regardless of whether she's pregnant or not. The last thing you or she needs is a litter of kittens, especially at such a young age.

My cat LilEli fell out of my front window last year. I ended up buying expandable screens at Sears Hardware that fit in your window and are held in by the half open window itself. It takes the worry out of leaving your windows open.

lv4dogs
06-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Go through with the spay, regardless of whether she's pregnant or not. The last thing you or she needs is a litter of kittens, especially at such a young age.

My cat LilEli fell out of my front window last year. I ended up buying expandable screens at Sears Hardware that fit in your window and are held in by the half open window itself. It takes the worry out of leaving your windows open.

I have screens in my windows she has learned to pop them out of the frame! :eek:

And yes I decided to continue with the spay, she is going in frin 6/11.

moosmom
06-03-2004, 08:35 AM
These screens are in ADDITION to the regular screens in the window. They are held in by the window itself so they're secure. They cost about $8 a piece and have wood on both sides. You pull them open by the wood and they fit directly into the window.

catmandu
06-03-2004, 08:54 AM
I have to keep the Windows closed as the Cats , ahgve torn , the mesh out! And please spay Poss , and we hope that there are no Kittens , that have to be aborted!

lv4dogs
06-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
These screens are in ADDITION to the regular screens in the window. They are held in by the window itself so they're secure. They cost about $8 a piece and have wood on both sides. You pull them open by the wood and they fit directly into the window.

I think I know what your talking about now, I have a few left over from my old windows that did not have screens. If my cat can push the actual screen frame out of the window frame she will most likely be able to push those screens out. They don't seem to be very sturdy at all, I have used them with a few different types of windows in the passt & I could easily push them out without much pressure at all.