PDA

View Full Version : My cockatiel, Alex, gave me a scare!

My Peanuts
06-01-2004, 01:22 PM
As some of you know, I thought Alex was going to lay eggs so I gave her and her boyfriend, Danny, a nesting box. Anyway, on Saturday she had this bump near her tail, she was all puffed up, and breathing a little heavy. The first thing I thought was she was egg bound. I had a big family party to go to and my mom was freaking out because I have to drive because she's afraid to drive on the highway. I didn't care and I wasn't going to go so I could take Alex to the ER vet. My brother said he would take her at 8pm so I went to the party. My brother called me around 7:30 and said she looked absolutely fine, she was eating and climbing around and sleeping comfortably. I told him that he should wait and take her the next day. Now she is fine, back to normal. However, I saw her in the nesting box for the first time on Sunday. I was soooo scared for her and I'm still watching her closely, but she seems completely fine. I even gave her her favorite treat of potato chips and she went crazy for it as usual. She didn't lay an egg so I don't know what's up with her. Alex only looked sick for about 2 hours, anyone else have something like this happen?

popcornbird
06-02-2004, 12:07 AM
I've never experienced such an incident, but I'm so glad your birdie is okay. Maybe you could call the vet for advice on this. I really have no idea, but keep a watch on her, as egg binding can be dangerous, and can happen fast. If you did notice symptoms, I would advise you to keep a close watch on her.

How is Alex now?

My Peanuts
06-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Alex is fine now and has been since. Maybe I was jumping the gun because I have been worried about her since I put the nesting box in. :rolleyes: