PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

ChrisH
06-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Is there a program or a connection for transfering files from one computer to another?

My computer is on the blink again. :rolleyes: It's been acting up for a while now and I thought I'd stablised it, but today while I was online - Pet Talk naturally - it switched itself off and, I noticed later, made a file disappear! Instead of painting the bathroom as I'd planned I spent all afternoon saving my pictures of Bob to floppys, 24 floppys to be exact. No discs left to save Ebbys, or any other pictures. :(

The reason for my question is with all this happening, and expecting a crash, I am seriously thinking of getting a new computer. If I do, (and commit myself to three long years paying for it :) ) and get it while this one is still running, I would like to be able to transfer the pictures and other files with some sort of ease. Anyone know how?

Chris

Kfamr
06-01-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure if this is the only way, but I know with an internet router there's a way of transferring data from one computer to the other

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-01-2004, 01:42 PM
I used to use a program called LAPLINK which allows you to connect two PCs together. The earlier versions used Parallel (printer) ports, I think more recent ones use USB.

If you go to zdnet you can download programs which allow you to use them a certain number of times before you have to buy them, or uninstall them.

I searched for "laplink" and the results are here (http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3120-20-0-1-0.html?li=50&qt=laplink)

(You would then only have to buy a laplink (or laplink compatible) parallel or USB laplink cable from a computer shop (or from eBay - they are under #5 (5pounds, but I don 't have a Pounds sign ;).

(Depending on where you are getting the new one, I would give them the sale based on them assisting you with transferring your old data accross to your new system - they have the knowledge, software and equipment to do it for you).

I know it will take ages, but any chance you could upload all the pics you don't want to lose to Imagestation or Photobucket? Alternatively do you know anyone with a USB memory key or an external CD-Writer who could back up your data for you? (I'd help if I was closer)

Randi
06-01-2004, 02:07 PM
If you don't have the gadgets you need at the moment, you can always attach the important files and send them to another computer - if you have access to one. :) And then later send them back or get them burned.

slleipnir
06-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I think you need a network card for your computers to read each other..and a hub or something. If you can't get them to read, you could always zip your pictures and send them to yourself on aim or email or osmething...

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-01-2004, 03:25 PM
You only need network cards to "network" them (ie get all the functionality of a network such as sharing internet connections, printers etc) , and you could configure two in a peer-to-peer network without a hub.

BUT just to transfer files a Parallel or USB laplink cable will do the trick.

ChrisH
06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Thank you all SO much for your ideas/suggestions. :D Please keep them coming.

Julie, thanks, I looked at the link you posted and, provided I can get the actual cable connections, I think one of them could be the way to go. :)

It is my picture files I am bothered about and I do have most of the best loaded on Imagestation, Photobucket and even some on Webshots, so I could copy them back. But when my computer crashed last time I didn't have as many pictures (didn't have Ebby :D) but, mostly because I am on dial-up, it was still a bind copying them back from Imagestation, I was hoping a direct computer to computer link would be easier.

Once again, thanks!! :)

Chris

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Another thing you could do is go buy an external Zip drive. I think you can get the 250 mb ones pretty reasonable now. The disks themselves are kind of expensive, but if the alternative is losing your pictures, they're worth it. Basically they're the same as a floppy, except they hold TONS more - 250 megabytes worth to be exact. You can save anything on them, and then if and when you do get a new computer, you can just hook the zip drive up to that and reload everything.

Your computer should have come with a "backup" program and this will work with a zip drive. You can backup from the old computer, then restore to the new computer.

The zip disks will be good even with the new computer. I use them for backup on a regular basis. If my computer should crash and I loose everything on it, I've got the zip disks with all my data on so let it crash! Wait....no....I didn't really say that. ;)

Good luck!

Or, they make all sorts of external storage devices that you can plug into a USB port. I'm really not sure which one is more economical. Personally I like the Zip disks....

ChrisH
06-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the idea Debbie :)