PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat eat things other than cat food?

11-19-2001, 12:42 PM
My cat Polly, eats flies, birds( she really kills them), hamsters, cheese, and other things she brings in the house that I can't make out. :rolleyes:

Does your cat eat other things besides cat food?

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: fun 4 u ]

BigCharles
11-19-2001, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by fun 4 u:
<STRONG>&lt;snip&gt;
Does your cat eat other things besides cat food?</STRONG>

Lamoni loves plants. At many events where I am an usher, I receive a Carnation butonier. These whit carnations are wrapped in green leaves and enhanced with whit "Babies Breath".

Lamoni loves Babies Breath! He also loves green leaves. When he is chewing on a plant he purrs so loudly. The only time that he will get up in my lap is to eat my Carnation.

My old vet said that this would not be likely to hurt him. He said that something close to a pound of plant material might hurt him but a flower a day would not.

I can't get my wife flowers on holidays and occasions because the boy cat just eats them.

When I sat on a big spider some years ago, that spider retaliated before it died. I got a sever infection and finally had to go in for surgery on my seat to clear it out. We called this a "rear end alignment". :eek: The surgeon sent a plant to my house the following day. It aided my recovery to lay on my back and have my furry friend on my stomach chewing on my "get well" plant.

Fifi, on the other hand, could care less about live plants. She loves most people food. She will come and sit on the arm of the chair. As you bring your fork to your mouth there will be this soft gray paw come hook the inside of your wrist and divert that fork to her mouth.

She also loves ice cream, including chocolate. Yes, chocolate. Now, I do mean fat free chocolate flavored soft serve. I get these wonderful frozen bars on a stick from the food service company (I love in-home food delivery). When I get done, I let Fifi lick the stick.

I limit her to a teaspoon a day for vanilla and half of that for light chocolate. No dark chocolate.

Hey! I was real mad at Fifi one day. She had a litter box problem and had "presented" me twice in one day. Now she came to my feet begging while I was eating a chocolate ice cream bar. In frustration I said, "Here B... er ... Here Fifi. See if you like this!" I figured that if it killed her THAT would solve the problem and make her happy.

She survived! We got rid of the carpet that had trapped growing mold. The mold pools were giving off an oder that she felt deserved going on. We have removed all of that type of carpet from the house and now she uses the LitterMaid just like Lamoni does.

Last night I was asleep on the couch. I looked up and the two of them were sleeping in the same chair. The one moment that I wished for a camera. :)

cr7clark
11-19-2001, 03:20 PM
Bo will eat any insect she can catch. Then she promptly vomits it back up :eek: !

Fuzzy317
11-19-2001, 07:20 PM
Two of our cats (kittens really: Twidgit and Ashton), will try to help our dog eat his food. The pieces are so big, they can barely pick them up.

NoahsMommy
11-24-2001, 03:02 PM
Noah eats:
Brocolli, collard greens (bunny eats these), pumpkin (while carving them during Halloween), ice, and basically anything mommy (me) is eating.

Last night, he stalked, killed and ate a spider!!! I am SO proud of my little boy!! :)

tuxluvr
11-24-2001, 03:36 PM
Ritz is the best fly catcher around. She eats it too, (blech)...I have to watch this time of year because the occasional wasp gets inside...she is so adept at this she can jump at a fly in mid air and catch it between her paws. GOOD KITTY.

She has also caught a mouse, but I think she considers this a really wiggly toy - has never attempted to eat one, just tortures the living daylights out of the little critters and slobbers all over them. (I think they remind her a lot of her toy mice)

Efrat
11-25-2001, 01:45 AM
My cats eat all the insect they can catch, mostly flies...
But the also love weird things... Gucci and Tsoomi are bothe crazy about olives, Tsoomi will actually eat almoast anything...The kittens love ice cream..
And of course any cheese or meat...

Former User
11-25-2001, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by fun 4 u:
<STRONG>hamsters,</STRONG>

HAMSTERS? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11-27-2001, 05:47 PM
That is sooo funny charles! My cat is actually scared of plants, but that's just her! :rolleyes:

11-27-2001, 05:49 PM
That is just like my dog bo's mom! :eek:

11-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Fuzzy, my dog is the one who thinks Polly can't finish her food! She gets mad at Daisy, but when Polly leaves, Daisy is ready for more cat food!

11-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Noah was probably sad that Halloween ended soooo fast!

tuxluvr,,that is a good cat! In the summer, my dog does the most fly catching than Polly!

Efrat, my cat's favorite thing to eat( used to be ROAST BEEF or fish) is cheese and jerky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

casper that just made me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad when polly ate my hamster, Furby!

:( :( :( :(

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Phred ]

tuxluvr
11-28-2001, 04:07 PM
fun4u.....One morning I was getting ready for work and there was a fly buzzing around the light above the bathroom mirror. Ritz was pacing back and forth with excitement because I was "in the way" and she couldn't reach the fly. I finally picked her up so her front paws were hanging free and put her up to the area and SNAP!!! she nailed it, kept her paws together until I put her on the floor again, and she quickly maneuvered mr. fly into her mouth. I had an afterthought that it probably wasn't a wise move on my part - I could have been caught in kitty claw blender in the process, but as it turned out, it was perfectly executed..

Furry flyswatter

For a rather rotund kitty, she does have great reflexes! Good Ritzy! :)

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: tuxluvr ]

Edwina's Secretary
11-28-2001, 04:17 PM
Wow Tuxluver! I am soooo impressed with that story! Could Ritz come and give Edwina lesson please??? She likes insects but she just sits in the funny straight up way and WATCHES them -- intently and forever. She will occasionally reach out and sort of push them with her paw. I have tried to model the behavior of swatting the bug dead. When I do she just looks up at me with a "How could you??? I was playing with that!"

tuxluvr
11-28-2001, 07:55 PM
Edwina's S...the funny thing is, she doesn't care for the scads of ladybugs that frequent the house certain times of the year...too crunchy I guess....just the flies. She has chased down and caught a mouse before, but unlike her toy fur mouse, the real ones "wiggle" when she tries to pick them up in her mouth, which results in this silly behavior, Ritz, picks up the mouse in her mouth, mouse wiggles, cat "spits" mouse out, flinging it across the room...

Since she is not in need of sustenance from wild things, I think she looks at a real mouse and the coolest toy mom ever brought home..

After she tortured this thing for about an hour, I pulled back a piece of newspaper to find this panting mouse, wet with kitty slobber, half limping. I put a can over it and a piece of cardboard under and set it free in the field behind our house.

Ritz spent another hour searching and sniffing for her "toy"...giving me that look, "Hey, I wasn't done playing with that!"

Bobbie
12-07-2001, 01:59 PM
Campino loves bugs, he'll go after them for hours. Another cute thing he does is stalk loaves of bread. we keep all the bread on top of the refrigerator, you can see him pacing back and forth looking up at the bread, when you go downstairs for awhile he will jump up and steal the loaf, he will then bring it to you like a present. He will find you and brush up against you and then drop the loaf at your feet. You just can't get angry with him then. :D :rolleyes:

4 feline house
12-07-2001, 03:18 PM
Bobbie - http://cwm.mengi.net/s/contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif

What makes some cats obsess over the strangest (or, sometimes, most ordinary!) things?

wayne0214
12-09-2001, 06:18 AM
Leah S, I'm not sure about the answer to your question. I have noticed that kittens will usually (temporarily) play at or with some peculiar thing while they are maturing. Also, they will sleep in different places before they will settle down to a usual place or manner of sleeping.

C.C.'s Mom
01-04-2002, 08:57 AM
My furry babies like to come home with their freshly caught snacks: mice and birds. They eat them, preferably in the livingroom. Other than that are butterflies, bugs, cheese, ice cream, mashed potatoes and veggie burgers. They beg as if we never feed them. Lately I was told by my neighbor that they also snack from their pond (I hardly believe this though, knowing how they don't like canned fish or fish snacks).

NoahsMommy
01-04-2002, 09:28 AM
CC's Mom, How funny that your furkids like mashed potatoes too! Noah LOVES them! My hubby even lets Noah sniff and lick his beer bottle when he drinks it...

I was so proud of Noah when he stalked, killed and ATE a spider! Such a GOOD boy!! (especially since mommy is terrified of them! :eek: ) Now whenever I see one, I show it to him and get out of there until I see him licking his lips! :)

Former User
01-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy:
<STRONG>
I was so proud of Noah when he stalked, killed and ATE a spider! Such a GOOD boy!! (especially since mommy is terrified of them! :eek: ) </STRONG>

Me too Kelly! ihate spiders! But luckily got two anxious cats here to get rid of anything that moves on the floor! :D :D

yumyum6970
01-04-2002, 10:07 AM
YumYum will eat anything she can get into her mouth..like all bugs, plants even fake ones, and so on. Dutchess doesn't do that thank goodness.

Edwina's Secretary
01-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Edwina has developed a passion for tavern ham -- which my husband indulges :rolleyes:

I am hoping it is short-lived. I tell her she is eating Babe. She says Charlie, Babe... whatever. Too much television is desensitizing her I'm afraid. :(

CuteFaerie
01-04-2002, 02:06 PM
my cat Tigger likes grapes, peaches, lettuce, anything that is meat, mom's plants, bugs, carpet ( yum yum :rolleyes: ), milk (any dairy products), bread, and probably anything else that he finds on the floor. he's not allowed outside yet but i think he would eat what he catches. :p

Randi
01-30-2002, 06:05 AM
At the moment, Fister is only eating his diet dry food, but otherwise, he will eat flies, corn, green beans, cheese, pieces of cooked ham and whipped cream (if we let him). If he can get hold of some butter or meat or fishsauce, he will lick the platter clean! :p

yumyum6970
01-30-2002, 07:00 AM
My husband and I just let our cats have milk the other night. Yum Yum LOVED it and she drank the whole saucer in one setting. Dutchess could have cared less one way or the other for it. :)

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

lynnestankard
01-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Bagel adores to drink tea - only out of my cup NOT a saucer!
They all adore tomato soup!!:D
Our late Kisi (RB) used to enjoy licking wine gums out of my hand - wouldn't look at it if I let go!!

Lynne

LoudLou
01-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Mocha eats cheese... the more expensive the better, also she has just discovered BBQ Pork... She is VERY demanding when it comes to treat time... Daddy started it and Daddy buys her the expensive cheese!! :o Bonzo- likes ovenroasted turkey and butterscotch pudding!

ganime
02-16-2002, 11:13 AM
My 4 month old kitten eats baked beans, chick peas, cheese, boiled potatos (loves them), any kind of meat, yoghurt, ice cream, cream topping pumpkin dessert (but it gave him diarrhea), courgets, bread, cakes besides dry cat food :)

Former User
02-18-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by ganime
My 4 month old kitten eats baked beans, chick peas, cheese, boiled potatos (loves them), any kind of meat, yoghurt, ice cream, cream topping pumpkin dessert (but it gave him diarrhea), courgets, bread, cakes besides dry cat food :)

LOL, so in other words, everything goes! :D :D :D :D

ganime
02-18-2002, 09:44 AM
LOL, so in other words, everything goes

Casper_Kitty he dosn't like spinach, leeks, fruits :(

momoffuzzyfaces
02-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Out of the four "cat kids" I have now, Luke is the only one with strange food cravings. You don't get between him and a red grape. He also loves black olives. Go figure. I never give them to him but his is such a thief! I had a cat named Lucy a long time ago that loved cantaloupe and Nacho chips. She would grab the chips out of my hand on the way to my mouth if I wasn't quick. She would chew through plastic trash bags to get at cantaloupe rinds.

wayne0214
02-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Jumper has now found a new way to express his hunger to me, he licks the monitor and printer during the times I'm using them!

felinequine
02-21-2002, 12:35 PM
My cats eat any meat that I give them(well, cold cuts are favored over cooked stew meat,too tough for kitty teeth, but if I fed them raw meat they'd probably eat that...) They depise veggies, but if I was serious about feeding them to the kooters I'd figure it out..

My dog, eats everthing handed to her, and being a dachshund,the weight to back problems, carbs are limited to her kibble and the occasional bite of cracker at parties...she usually eats cooked veggies, especially mixed with (mmmmmm) gravy or meat leftovers, but despises all raw veggies except chunks of carrot and small apples from our trees, which she naws like bones...

But this is for cats, right... :p :eek:

Ila
03-22-2002, 04:51 PM
I cannot pack our lunches for work without Misty being underfoot wanting a piece of the turkey I put in our sandwhiches. She loves ice cream and her most favorite is cheddar cheese. I don't like giving her much cheese but my husband cheats and feels sorry for her and lets here have a little bit.:)
http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm/a:31416

krazyaboutkatz
03-24-2002, 01:50 AM
Yes. I have three cats and their favorite people food to eat is rice pudding. They have learned to recognize the container that it comes in and get excited :D when they see it. Storm will eat doritos, cheese, ice cream, hamburger meat, chicken, bagels and probably more if I'd let him. Sunny seems to only like yogurt, ice cream, and of course rice pudding. Pepper only likes rice pudding although I have seen him eat flies. I try not to feed them anything but their cat food.

mollymc
03-28-2002, 02:45 PM
My cat, CJ, loves a variety: ice water (she eats the ice, sure it's not good for her teeth, I know), brussels sprouts, salad, crowder peas and mushrooms are some of her healthy favorites. She REALLY loves the following, but does not get them anymore, (only got small amounts infrequently, anyway) as she is 15 yrs. old, has hyperthyroidism and has been advised to watch her fat intake: salad dressing, lasagne, bernaise sauce, crown roast of lamb, lobster thermador (would not eat plain lobster, only this dish), popcorn (buttered, of course) and pastitsio (a Greek dish). She really mourns the loss of her "haute cuisine" in favor of "nouvelle" but I've made the change with her and it's really been good for both of us. My other cat, Bubba, however, eats cat food and nothing else....she puts her ears back and growls at anything else....and she's the tubby one....go figure.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2002, 03:07 PM
Welcome mollymc, CJ and Bubba! :)

Tubby can relate to CJ not getting any of the "good stuff" anymore. He's also 15 (16 this summer) and is in the beginning stages of kidney failure, so he was throwing everything up, so even though he regrets it, we had to stop giving him anything but the occassional kitty treat and microwave popcorn now and then. He has somewhat resigned himself to it, but that doesn't stop him from begging and making his daddy feel guilty. :rolleyes:
(Mom has no qualms about not giving him treats so he can't make me feel guilty about that, but giving him enough attention, well that's another matter. :rolleyes: )

Kazius
03-29-2002, 11:42 AM
This might sound very amusing. My deceased kitty "Malysh" used to like eating canned sardines with tomato sauce (Woah!) and he LOVED olives! I miss him so very much. :(

04-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Our Sydney loves a good piece of barbecued chicken !!!
A left over of fish , is also always welcome !!!
A few weeks ago , my daughter Indra had been eating spare ribs . She left the "leftovers" on the kitchen sink .
Guess what we found in a corner of the living room that evening ?? Yes , a "naughty-looking-kitty" with a piece of those ribs between his teeth ... Waw , he must have loved it , because there was no more meat left on the bone ... !:p :p :p

maxx's mom
04-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Maxx loves to eat any kind of bug, especially spiders (bless her!):) I am absolutely terrified of spiders, so when I see one in my house (we have big furry spiders here), I just point it out to Maxx and she goes to work! She loves tuna and cheddar cheese too. She sits at the window and "chirps" at the birds, so I think she would probably eat one if given the opportunity.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-22-2002, 03:30 PM
Tubby got a spider this morning for breakfast. :D I had just given Peanut a treat, so when he was done with the spider I gave him his treat, but he didn't want it. Full of spider I guess. :rolleyes: And Peanut was more than happy to oblige in finishing off the treat.

We don't have that many bugs anymore, but when I lived in Green Bay (long time ago when Tubby was just a yougun) and when we lived with my mom, there were flies and spiders everywhere. All I had to do was say "Bugs, kitty, bugs!" with excitement in my voice and he was there in a flash! Now when I say that, he looks at me with a little recognition in his face, but he doesn't move at all. :rolleyes:

sasvermont
04-22-2002, 03:41 PM
My two just love flies and spiders. They don't bother ladybugs that much. They also try to snag whatever it is I am eating if I am not at the table. They know better than to hop on the table while I am eating. They like ice cream the best...

:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
They don't bother ladybugs that much.

To my mother's huge regret, her kitty doesn't bother the ladybugs either. She is one of the unfortunate ones that is infested with the Asian Ladybug (or whatever it is that's a ladybug but different). She has thousands of them around and no matter what she does she can't get rid of them. If only the cat would.......

;)

luvdemabys
04-22-2002, 10:34 PM
AAAAHHHW! POOR L'il Guy...he's tried most of the things and loves all kinds of people food....and now he can't have ANYTHING but his hypo-allergenic food. He's on my lap, dying as I read this thread. Poor, poor pussums!

luckies4me
04-25-2002, 08:54 PM
My cats eat anything. Houdini loves salad for some odd eason. They also eat broccoli, cake, tuna, turkey, chicken, beef, pork, scrambled eggs, loves cheese, yogurt, Houdini drinks soda out of straws, carrots, butter, top ramen, milk, those little fried fishies you buy at the pet store, thowup, nerds candies, angel food cake, icing, cool whip, strawberries..........pretty much everything.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey, luckies4me, what's that funny looking critter in your avatar. The one that has the blue background, and the critter has no fur? Haven't seen one of those types around here yet.

:D :D :p :D

AmberLee
04-25-2002, 10:13 PM
T&P, yes sir-ee-bob, that looks like a wild one! Cute, but a wild one! :D :D Luckie: I've forgotten, what is his name? Is he feeling better and all over the bronchitis? Poor tyke. I was really worried about you both!

black cat
05-02-2002, 04:20 PM
Mikey, our very large former barn cat, likes to eat plants when we go for walks. He also had quite an obsession with mandarin oranges one christmas....I couldn't open the box near him. Freddy, our runt of the litter, is the hunter. He loves to kill and eat any insect....he actually had quite the spat with a wasp this morning. He also really likes bread. I had a bowl of homemade beef stew with a piece of bread beside it. While I was up getting something he came by and dragged the piece of bread onto the floor and proceded to nibble at it.......he completely ignored the stew! He also stole some of my sugar cookies when I was baking.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-03-2002, 10:35 AM
black cat, is Freddy the little all black one? He is the spitting image of Tubby when he was a kitten. So cute! Tubby is now almost 16 years old, so it's been a long time since I've seen him this small. More pictures?

black cat
05-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Yes, Freddy is the little all black one. He will be a year old in a couple days. Mikey is two years old, and quite aggressive at times, but Freddy holds his own against him! I don't have anymore pictures on my computer.

black cat

AmberLee
05-03-2002, 12:31 PM
When are their birthdays? They are sure cute. Welcome to Pet Talk, by the way. I love it here and hope you will, too. :D

black cat
05-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Mikey's birthday is April 10th. (a guess by the vet - we got him from a farm, and they only had an approximate idea of when he was born) Freddy's birthday is May 10th.
They are great fun!:D

This is a great forum.....lots of funny and interesting stories.