PDA

View Full Version : How many is too Many?! :o

LilRed
01-18-2001, 04:43 PM
I LOVE CATS!!! I guess we all do, or else we wouldn't be here. I originally started (many moons ago with 2. The # of meow-faces grew 'til we had 6 http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/redface.gif. After 2 of them had
died within short periods we found ourselves with - you guessed it - 2 more. Oh no! I was tired of getting attatched and said NO
MORE! Well, just a few days ago we acquired
yup, numero 7, alittle precious 4 mo. old Sphynx girl http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif How many IS to many cats?

luvdemabys
01-18-2001, 05:43 PM
Everything I need to know, I learned from t-shirts and bumper stickers. Two of my favorites: "you can never have too many cats;" and one showing a lady surrounded by and immersed in cats and kittens with the legend "I can quit any time I want." Ja, suure!

Troy
01-18-2001, 06:37 PM
Spencer, Well said, yet another informative response.

Your answer, as usual, was unemotional and factual and I would be surprised if anyone took offence. And, as you said, it is down to being able to love and care for the number of pets you have. You have simply provided some yardsticks to measure the pets quality of life...

4 feline house
01-18-2001, 11:50 PM
The subject of animal collector is close to my heart because I have a dear friend with the affliction, and that IS what it is. LilRed is certainly not a collector, because if she was she would not have a concern that she had too many cats. I recently read an in-depth article on collectors, and my experience with my friend was all reflected in the article. It really is not even an issue of trying to care for animals until it gets out of hand. Most of these people manifest their illness in ways in addition to collecting animals. In my friend's case, she has garbage from floor to ceiling in every room of her house - there is a path from the front door to the kitchen, the bathroom, and the couch. The rest is animal cages and garbage. If you go in and try to help her clean her house she refuses. If you take advantage of her hospitalization by going in with all her friends and taking stuff out to the curb, she goes into a black rage when she gets home. Mind you, we didn't take anything out except what was clearly pure garbage. These people think there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way they live. Of course, these people shouldn't be ridiculed, they should be treated with compassion because it is a mental illness, one that unfortunately is not very responsive to treatment. My friend has a heart of gold, but she is ill. Unfortunately, the animals that she thinks she is helping are usually also suffering. Anyway, like I say, if you question your pet capacity, it's unlikely you are a collector. If your heart, budget, and home are big enough, get as many as you want!

wolflady
01-22-2001, 03:35 PM
Wow! Thanks for the articles. Actually, after reading them, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I actually have a friend like the one you described. She is one of my best friends, but the animal collector that was described in the above articles fit her to a tee. Her heart's in the right place, but it doesn't do her, or the animals...not to mention the 6 month old baby that lives there...any good! It's upsetting when she calls or emails me frustrated about what the cats have done and I've tried to tell her useful things, but it doesn't seem to help. For instance, she has 9 cats living in her small home. I've only been there once just recently and the smell was pretty overpowering. There was kitty poo and pee in the kitchen and apparently some or all of them had fleas. There is a baby living in here!!!! She told me that they have 3 litter boxes...yes 3, that they only clean....ONCE A WEEK!!! No wonder these animals are going on the floor. There are too many cats and not enough litter boxes! Not to mention...being cleaned once a week is not enough. Heck, I only have 2 cats, but we have 2 litterboxes that are cleaned once a day. She's also hardly ever home, so what's the point of having 4 large dogs that are not taken care of. They are just thrown in the backyard...where a couple of the unneutered males have started to fight. I don't know how to approach her about this without her taking it the wrong way and getting mad at me. Any suggestions??

Frustrated Friend in California

wolflady
01-22-2001, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to let you all know what happens!