PDA

View Full Version : A Pet Talk Memorial

Karen
05-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Today at the Findlay, Ohio Pet Talk gathering, we had a very special event. Today, the traditional date of Memorial Day, was the dedication of a memorial for two exceptional Pet Talk dogs, Binx and Smokey.

The people of Pet Talk decided, when Binx and Smokey both went to the Rainbow Bridge on the same day last winter, young dog and old dog, big and small, we needed to honor them in a lasting way. Quietly, behind the scenes, people made donations, and ended up with enough money to donate a park bench AND two trees to the Dog Park in Findlay where some of us got to meet Cataholic and Binx, and where Pet Talkers gather for happy times together.

The bench has a small plaque on it that simply says:
Rest awhile, relax, smile
in loving memory of Binx and Smokey
and all our beloved pets.
(signed) the Pet Talk gang.

It is framed by the two small trees that will provide a nice shady spot both for people and dogs in the years to come.

Wolf-Q (Amy) also created two beautiful portraits, one each of Smokey and Binx, which will be sent, with a certificate, to the two families.

The love of Pet Talk folk for these dogs, and the people who loved them, inspired this memorial. Many people worked behind the scenes to accomplish this, and we are grateful to them, too.

We'll always love you Smokey, Binx, and all our beloved pets waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. And we love, too, the humans whom you loved.

Rest in peace.

shais_mom
05-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the wonderful Post Karen!
The bench is beautiful, the trees are beautiful and the portraits by Amy are breathtaking.

captain
05-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh Karen, *tears*
What a beautiful, loving tribute .......

Miss Meow
05-30-2004, 08:06 PM
That's one of the sweetest things I've ever read.

It's a wonderful memorial to Smokey, Binx and all the other pets who have gone to the Bridge.

Karen
05-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Here are three photos - this is the quick "while we're at the hotel" version, I amsure others will have photos and we will have others to add later.

This is the bench

Karen
05-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Here is the plaque

Karen
05-30-2004, 08:26 PM
And here is a group shot at the dedication, though there were many onlookers as well.

dukedogsmom
05-30-2004, 09:02 PM
That is so beautiful. I am so sad that I wasn't able to go. Those portraits by Amy are beautiful!

KYS
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
What a beautiful tribute to Smokey, Binx and all beloved pets waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

QueenScoopalot
05-30-2004, 10:02 PM
What a terrific way to remember precious pets. :) Beautiful idea with a lot of heart!

Cinder & Smoke
05-30-2004, 11:36 PM
:)

THANKS, Karen ~ Well Said!

THANKS, Amy (Wolf_Q) ~ Well Done, Young Lady!!

/s/ Phred

gini
05-30-2004, 11:42 PM
This has made me cry............bless all of you for making it happen...........Pet Talk..........I hope everyone who visits, and does rest and relax for a while............wants to know who is behind this.

Who is behind it is Binx - who all of us loved so dearly............and Smokey........and our deep love of our pets.

I am proud that there is such a tribute............and may there be more tributes in the years to come.

jenfer
05-31-2004, 12:20 AM
That's great!!!
What a beautiful idea!:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-31-2004, 01:45 AM
That is simply beautiful. And what a touching and lasting way to remember our beloved pets!

Thanks to everyone who was involved!

cloverfdx
05-31-2004, 07:19 AM
What a beautiful tribute to Binx and Smokey. *Lots of tears*

And what a very special bunch of people and animals we have here at Pet Talk.

Cataholic
05-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Thank you. What a beautiful and loving gesture to both Smokey and Binx. I can tell from the picture of the photo that it captures Binx to a 't'. Thank you, Amy. I will treasure it always.

I am sorry I wasn't up to going. I can't tell you how hard it has been for me, and continues to be for me. I didn't think emotionally or physically I would have been up for such a trip. It is just still too hard for me. I didn't want to risk getting so upset in my current condition. I do appreciate each and every one of you for your continued support, and for making the memorial such a lovely reality.

Johanna

ChrisH
05-31-2004, 10:24 AM
What a beautiful and loving tribute to Binx and Smokey.

Kfamr
05-31-2004, 10:44 AM
We got some pictures of our three by the plaque/on the bench as well....

I thought it was so sweet when we saw it :)

Canis Amicus
05-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Splendid Idea!

It is really moving. I came to tears reading this thread.

Albea
05-31-2004, 11:49 AM
What a beautiful tribute to Blinx and Smokey!
Karen, Paul and all the Pet Talkers who came up with this idea, you are the best.

NoahsMommy
05-31-2004, 12:38 PM
You are all so great!!! What a wonderful, kind, PERFECT tribute to two of the best souls we've been graced with.

Holly's mom
05-31-2004, 02:07 PM
What a wonderful and loving tribute to two wonderful dogs! It was so kind and thoughtful of the PT gang to do that.

bluekat
05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Oh wow that is just beautiful. What a wonderful tribute to both Binx and Smokey.
It brought tears to my eyes when I saw the pictures and read the post.

Sudilar
05-31-2004, 06:54 PM
So beautiful!!!

lizbud
05-31-2004, 07:21 PM
The Memorial spot with the bench & trees was beautifully
done. The Binx & Smokey portraits were awesome. They looked
so real and beautiful. What a great way to celebrate the lives
of two well loved doggies. Just great. :)

wolf_Q
05-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Wow, that is just gorgeous!! I love the bench, it's beautiful. Thank you for remembering Smokey and Binx. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to go see it in person.

RobiLee
05-31-2004, 10:00 PM
The bench and trees are wonderful! It was such an honor to be a part of it all. Amy, your portraits were awesome. I remember when I first saw them my mouth just dropped open and I said "WOW".

After the crowd kind of cleared out yesterday, Tori and I went back over to the dog park and we had it all to ourselves. I got to sit on the bench and do just what it says. "Rest Awhile, Relax, Smile". It was so nice. I sent out a hello to Binx and Smokey and a special hello to my RB sweetie, Chloe.

It was a great day. Thanks Pet Talk!

Robin :)

slick
05-31-2004, 10:15 PM
What a sweet tribute! :( :( Amy, those portraits are just beautiful. You are so talented!

Those pictures are awsome and I just know that Smokey and Binx are smiling and barking with delight.

I wish I'd known about this because I would have loved to throw a little money towards it.

I'm thinking of saving up and making one trip per year to a PT meeting. This year it's CA, maybe next year Findlay?? Who knows. I would just love to meet you all. :)

Cincy'sMom
05-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by slick

I wish I'd known about this because I would have loved to throw a little money towards it.

As we were planning this, we were concerned some would feel left out, but without giving it away we couldn't contact everyone. We did raise enough to money that some of it will go to continuing park improvements including the care and upkeep of PT's trees, and that can be donated at anytime. If anyone would still like to donate, you can contact myself or Phred for information. Or I'm sure a donation to any animal group in memory of all RB pets would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who helped inthe planning and donated. It truly is a beautiful memorial to all our pets. I hope both Amy and Joh will someday get to visit it.

veegan
06-01-2004, 01:49 AM
Again, what a touching and thoughtful idea. It looks simply beautiful. I wish I could have been there to witness the dedication but thank you for sharing the story & photos, making those of us who were unable to make it a part of the experience.

Freckles
06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
This is a wonderful idea and the whole project is beautiful.

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
As we were planning this, we were concerned some would feel left out, but without giving it away we couldn't contact everyone.
Can we have more information on how the project came together? Did it start at the April 14th meeting? "without giving it away", was it to be a surprise for someone?

Good Job!

Cinder & Smoke
06-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Freckles

Can we have more information on how the project came together?
Did it start at the April 14th meeting?

The "Binx & Smokey Memorial" project *started* :(
the evening the two FurPups took their Journey to The Bridge :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid119/p792e05035aad0ddfe9855ecd581666ad/f87537c3.jpg

February 16, 2004

/s/ :( Phred

jazzcat
06-01-2004, 08:56 PM
What a wonderful memorial!

flamepony12
06-03-2004, 08:33 AM
How sweet and beautiful! you must have loved them very much.:( :)

anna_66
06-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I must say how wonderful it was of you to have such a great idea Phred, Amy, Staci and Deb). I was more than glad to donate and I will love using the bench and the shade that the trees will provide when they grow.

Both Binx and Smokey are dearly missed.

Lillycat
06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
truly a loving tribute. thank you to all!

My Peanuts
06-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I couldn't imagine a better way to honor Binx & Smokey. I didn't know either pup personally, but I did know them through PT. I'm in tears. Truely awesome memorial.

lbaker
06-09-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure how many of us contributed but I'm sure anyone that heard about it (thank you Gini for letting me know) joined in. It wasn't JUST for those two, although that's how it started, I think it evolved into those two plus all our RB babies. That's what was in my heart when I sent in the check anyway.

Cinder & Smoke
06-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by lbaker

It wasn't JUST for those two (Binx & Smokey),
although that's how it started.

It evolved into those two plus
ALL our RB babies.

That's what was in my heart
when I sent in the check anyway.

Thanks for pointing that out again, Laurie!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid120/p2264521eb8827ee27db8b8352d86c044/f8561381.jpg

"... ALL Our Beloved Pets ..."