PDA

View Full Version : Need good arguments.... i want a dog!

crazycait
05-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Ok, here's the deal. Me and my family moved from Tennessee to Kentucky about a year ago. (At the time i didn't have any pets, but i had some little ducks that died:( a couple of weeks before.) I have always loved dogs, and when we first moved up here, i asked if i could get one or work at the animal shelter or something, but Mom and Daddy said no. It was reeeeeally hectic moving in and stuff. It's now summer, I am out of school and have nothing to do. I am positive that if i adopted a puppy I would have enough time to love it and play with it and train it. I have been cautious about nagging my parents too much, but I think the next time I go at it, I should have some really good arguments. Here's the main thing i have to beat.

The next door neighbor (well technically it's across the raod, but..) has two dogs- Hoss and Panny. Both of them chase cars. I have had two furkids die from being runover, but at our new house we have a fenced in area. My thinking is that if I catch my new puppy chasing cars... i can put it back there. I don't want to see another puppy die, but i really miss those hugs and kisses and unconditional love.:(

Any good reasons whY I should be able to adopt a puppy?:confused: :rolleyes: :(

GoldenRetrLuver
05-29-2004, 07:43 PM
First of all, welcome to Pet Talk!
My name is Julie, and I am owned by two spoiled pups. You can see them in my signature below. I also have a Pied Cockatiel named Piper, a Hamster named Neko, two cats named Angel and Dillian, and six Desert Tortoises.

Have your parents given you a reason as to why they don't want to add a dog to your family? Puppies are a lot of work, and after summer is over, if nobody is going to be home during the day, I think your best bet would be to get a young - adult dog from your local shelter. :)

How high is your fence? Make sure it's high and stable enough so the dog won't be able to roam free.

crazycait
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
my mom is a stay at home mom so during school she could do the necesary stuff. I would still be the primary care giver tho(... I accidentaly wake up early alot)
And by the way.. i am not technically new... I used to come here all the time under the name "Izzysmomma" but Isabell dies in Feb. of 03, and i couldn't stand to use that name anymore..... but thanx!!!!!:D

DogLover9501
05-29-2004, 09:02 PM
I agree with Julie, now that it's summer you have nothing to do, but what about after that?

Originally posted by crazycait
My thinking is that if I catch my new puppy chasing cars... i can put it back there.

Why would it be out of the fenced area in the first place?? Letting it out to "catch it chasing cars" is sort of risky, it should be kept in the fenced area.

Also, the first thing you should do is find reasons yourself why you think a dog should be an addition to your family.

Some things to think about are...

-Can we afford monthly food, vet costs...etc?

-Where will the puppy sleep/spend most of it's time?

-Will the puppy fit into our lives?

etc..etc..etc

There are also "what-if's"

What if the puppy is/gets sick, will we be able to pay for all needed vet care?

What if the puppy starts getting over the fence, will we be able to build on/get higher fencing?

What if the puppy is extremely hyper, will we still put up with it??

What if the puppy is very hard to house-train, will we get rid of the carpet or the puppy?

What if the puppy has/gets 101 bad habbits, can we afford puppy/obedience classes?

etc..etc..etc

This isn't meant to be rude, but a puppy isn't a thing to get out of boredom on a rainy day/summer break. If you get a dog, your making a commitment to take care of it for it's entire life.

Thing long and hard ;) and good luck :)

crazycait
05-29-2004, 11:10 PM
I know that getting puppy isn't just something you get b/c you feel like it this week. They're little humans in fur coats!!:D the only thing about the fence ( it is a 6 foot chain link thingy-ma-bob so i dont really see a puppy jumping over it.. that's just crazy!:eek:) is that I woudn't want the pup to feel cramped up. Every dog we have ever had has been free to roam, but now we live in a more congested area and don't have as much land. I would still take the puppy for walks every day, but I have never been a big fan of fences..:(

Thanx 4 your help- Caitlin

Uabassoon
05-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Fences are a good thing, your dog should not be allowed to roam free especially if you are living in a more congested area. If you are worried that a dog will be cramped by staying in a fence then you should take it for walks daily or twice a day. Letting your dog roam free is not the solution.

DogLover9501
05-30-2004, 12:58 AM
I agree!

A fence wouldn't be for all the time, right? I mean the dog has the house to roam free in, outside is no place for a dog to roam free :)

crazycait
05-30-2004, 04:33 PM
the fence would just be if i caught the pup chasing cars...I can't keep it inside b/c everyone in my family has allergies witht he exception of me:( I twould have to stay outside...thats why i am worried about it feel cramped up... but i have already had 2 dogs die from being hit by cars so (they driver was drunk the first time, and the other my dog was being stupid...) I like the idea of taking it for 2 walks a day..that would be good for the both of us! I have just never really had the problem of lots of cars and a fenced in backyard:(

Shelteez2
05-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Well if you are worried about the dog getting hit by a car, then don't let it roam free. Seems simple to me. Keep your dog contained, and give it lots of training so you can have it off leash with you on your land (key words "with you" as in with you there to supervise it).

Uabassoon
05-30-2004, 05:32 PM
You've already had two dogs die because they were hit by cars so why make it three? You won't be there to supervise it 24 hours a day and you plan to let it roam free, odds are it will get hit. If you just want to have a dog to roam free and not live inside why not just play with the neighbors dogs, you said that they have two of them.

BCBlondie
05-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by crazycait
...I can't keep it inside b/c everyone in my family has allergies witht he exception of me:( I twould have to stay outside...

Why don't you just get a hypoallergenic dog, like a Bichon Frise, Poodle (and there are others), that your family wouldn't be allergic to? Then you could keep the dog inside too and wouldn't have to worry about it getting hit by a car. Also, you should take the dog to obedience classes so it becomes a well-trained dog with a strong recall.

DogLover9501
05-30-2004, 05:48 PM
You hate the idea of fences because you don't want the dog to be cramped up, yet you'd rather let it roam free and wait until you catch it chasing cars or wait until it gets killed.

You cannot keep it in the house because everyone has alergies.

*IN MY OPINION* The best dog for you right now is a stuffed one

Uabassoon
05-30-2004, 06:03 PM
I agree with Doglover on this one, it really doesn't sound like you should be getting a dog right now. While I'm sure you might be able to offer it plenty of love there is so much more that a dog will need. Since you said you are living in a more congested area letting a dog roam free is a bad idea. Plus your dog will be stuck outside all day and once you are in school it won't get the attention it needs since your mom is allergic and I'm sure she won't be spending time with it right now. For now I say listen to your parents then when you are older maybe you can have a dog live in your own house with you.

crazycait
05-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
when you are older maybe you can have a dog live in your own house with you.

I like that idea!:D

chocolatepuppy
05-31-2004, 07:12 AM
Your other two dogs got hit by cars? One was a drunk driver and the other one the dog was being stupid? Were the cars on the street? That's where cars belong. Dogs do not!

cloverfdx
05-31-2004, 07:25 AM
I am going to have agree with everyone else on this, it sounds as though you are not ready to bring a dog into your life at the moment. Maybe volunteer at an animal shelter so you can spend time with dogs that realy need the love and care.

Also how can a dog be stupid? :confused: Just wondering.