PDA

View Full Version : multi-pet issues

Katsmeow
05-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi! We are moving to a place w/1 1/2 acres of land, and I was wondering about new pets. I have 2 bigger dogs, outside alot, a border collie mix & great dane mix (Juno). Eventually, I want to get a horse, but how would a couple of pygmy goats get along with my dogs? And, maybe a pig later?

guster girl
05-29-2004, 05:47 PM
I would think if you kept your goats and/or pig in their own secure pen or corral, it would be more a matter of your dogs knowing their boundaries. :) I've seen those kinds of animals do really well with other species, but, I've also seen some that don't even tolerate their own kind. But, I've never personally owned farm animals, although I want to some day! There are people here that do, though. You should post this question in pet general, too, though, if you haven't already. You'll get more exposure if you ask in both places. :) What's your border collie's name? Juno's a cool name!

apcrs5122
05-29-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure how they would get along, I think it will depend on the dog's personality. But you have to remember that they have natural instincts, and they may be strong enough that they won't get along. Also, if you are only going to have 1 1/2 acres, that may not be enough room to have dogs, horses, goats, and pigs. I have a horse, and my family has had them for 18 years, and you need at least 1 acre of land per horse. And then 1/2 and acre split between goats and pigs, along with your dogs may not be enough room.

This is just my opinion on the situation, and I don't want to sound rude at all, because I really don't mean to be:) I think that your dogs may get along fine, but you might want to introduce them gradually, and keep an eye on them;)

And wecome to Pet Talk!:D

Katsmeow
05-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks. I want all I can get, but I know I have to control myself! I've always wanted a horse. I've never even had a house before (I'm 50!). I thought Trailer (b.c. mix) would like to have something to herd since he's been herding my indoor cats for 5 yrs.

Katsmeow
05-29-2004, 06:06 PM
My border collie's name is Trailer (supposedly, because he was born in one!) Juno, my big dopey babygirl, is named after Juno- the wife of Jupiter, queen of heaven, and the special guardian of women! She's good, too - she has a big throaty bark, her short hair stands up on end and then she runs behind me!