PDA

View Full Version : I miss being a cat mom :(

Amber
05-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Since most of you know, my girl Maggie have been lost for awhile. It's so heartbreaking to know where she could be. Is she safe? Is she in harm? who knows... All of our neighbors know that she's missing so we have some extra help. Her picture is up in the grocery stores, vets, and even the shelter. We even have a ad in the paper. I just wonder if i'll ever see her again.

We went to the animal shelter today, and oh my gosh....i've never seen so many cats, that I wanted to take home. Now I know why many of you cat rescuers are so devoted to cats. It was so sad. I have never had so many kitty paws reaching out to me like they are say "pick me!, pick me!" There was this one paticular cat that really took to me. It was a older male orange cat, that had so many cuts around its face. Just kept asking for more cat scritches. and the kittens! yikes...This time of year must be bad. They had so many cute kittens. Too many that looked like maggie. :( I miss having a cat...I miss Maggie. I miss it everyday when she would rub up against my legs. How she always followed me everywhere. How she always slept curled up onto the couch. and how she purred. >sigh< I hope to God we find her.

If I >ever< get another cat, it's going to be a older cat.

Sorry for this extremely pointless thread. I just miss my girl.
Anyone know any extra tips to maybe help find maggie?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pf6484fcad984146610c53b2f20d51767/f9c5142c.jpg

sirrahbed
05-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Amber - I am just so sorry that Maggie is still missing:( I do not know what else to suggest. Did you try the things on PIF's site about lost kitties? That is really all I can think of:( How long has it been now?? So sorry! I know that another kitty will never replace her - but it *is* something you can be thinking about. Older cats are always in need of homes! Maybe some older cat will choose you!!! Maybe Mr. Orange?
Still, so sorry about Maggie and I know how sad you must feel and how you miss her!!! But...she can still show up!!!! Or, perhaps someone has her and is loving her very much - that is a hopeful thought.

Amber
05-29-2004, 05:15 PM
yes, I've followed PIFs advise. its been about 4 or 5 days :(

sirrahbed
05-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Amber
yes, I've followed PIFs advise. its been about 4 or 5 days :(
so sorry! wish I had more suggestions:( ((((((((AMBER)))))))

apcrs5122
05-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh, Amber:( I'm so so sorry. I really feel horrible for you. I know you love her so much, and I can't tell you how much I want you to find her. I don't know what other advice to give you, others have mostly covered all I know. I'm still praying that you find Maggie:(

Cataholic
05-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Amber, keep your chin up. Go out again and again to neighbors, call the pound, post more signs...keep up the hard work. You never know who you will talk to that might know something.

Hugs, and praying for a safe return.
Johanna

trayi52
05-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh, Amber, it just breaks my heart seeing you so sad.:( I hope and pray everyday that your sweet Maggie will return to you really soon. Don't loose hope, she could turn up yet.

About the only thing I can suggest is just what Johanna suggested, keep your chin up and keep pounding on doors.

My heart goes out to you sweet, sweet Amber.

Willie

bluekat
05-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh Amber I'm so so sorry...I know that you must be very sad now but don't lose hope yet. We know that Maggie will find her way home eventually. I had a friend before who lost her cat and it was weeks before she found her again. Someone probably has Maggie now, and is just trying to look for a way to contact you.

Keep us updated please! I'll be praying...

kuhio98
05-29-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm so sorry Miss Maggie is still missing. How do you feel about pet communicators? I've never called this lady, but my friend in Pennsylvania called her when her kitty was missing. In reality, she called her to find out if her cat was dead. She just needed to know. Donna (the pet communicator) told her that the kitty wasn't dead and that she was around some running water. There was a creek/stream on her property. She also said that she appeared to have an injured front leg because she was hopping. (What she didn't know whas that the kitty only had 3 legs). My friend was heading out to search when the kitty came running up to the front door. Don't know for sure if she was hanging out around the creek, but she was right -- she wasn't dead and she was hopping.

Here's her website if you want to investigate further. She charges $25.00 for a reading. http://www.donnadoolittle.com/

If you do decide to do it, could you let us know if it was helpful?

Cincy'sMom
05-29-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry your baby is still missing, Amber.

The only think I can think to add, it to keep checking the shleters and such. Even ifthey have her picture, even if they don't think they have her, look for yourself. I remember when one of Mike and Molly's (mugsy's) dog was missing, they took the picture every where, but it wasn't until Mike went and looked at the shelter for himself that they found the dog. The shelter hadn't checked the new dogs brought in against the flyers they had.

Hang in there...she may come home yet.

jazzcat
05-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Amber, I'm so sorry. I pray Maggie comes home soon.

PayItForward
05-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Don't give up hope. On the English forum's, cats come home after weeks or months of being missing.

Just keep visiting the shelters & vets and keep calling for her everynight. Sadly also check with who ever clears the roads :(

Try posting posters further a field now, i.e. several streets away. She might have wandered further in several days.

Also check if there were any strange car or vans in the area when she went missing, cats frequently wander into delivery or moving vans and travel to other towns etc.

Also find out who are the local feeders in your community, if Maggie is lost she might turn up on a porch to be fed alongside strays. Give a copy of your lost poster to all the feeders of colonies.

Although 4/5 days is a long time to be waiting, keep your chin up and keep looking.

PIF

PS. Is maggie microchipped ?
PPS. For anyone else who is missing their beloved cat
http://www.piftails.com/main/articles/general/lostcat.html

catcrazylady
05-30-2004, 07:21 AM
My heart breaks for you because I know how heartwrenching it is to not know where or how they are. I amost went nuts wondering what happened to Leroy when he went missing for three days. It turned out he had gotten himself locked in someones shed or garage and couldn't get out until someone opened the door.
Is Mggie afraid of other people or is she friendly? If she is leary of others then you might ask permission to go call for her in surrounding garages and sheds. If she hears your voice she might respond whereas she hides from others.
I'm praying very hard for you that she comes home. If nothing else I pray that you at least find out what happened to her. The not knowing is the worst part.
I also agree that you should go check the shelter off and on yourself. First hand I know that they have good intentions but a lot gets overlooked. It would be very wise to go and look now and again just in case.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Please come home Maggie!!!

CatMama78
05-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Oh Amber, I've been thinking of you and Maggie everyday and praying that you'll find her or she'll come home safe and sound. I wish I could offer better advice, but the only thing I can think of is to keep trying, everyday. Look and look and post more signs and always leave something out with your scent. I know you've heard it, but cats come home even weeks / months after being out and about. I know this has to be so hard for you - I can only imagine how devestated you are. You've got the power of everyone's prayers and positive vibes to whatever powers may be. Bless you and I'll continue to pray. Please hurry home Maggie!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Amber - you and Maggie are in my prayers!

catmandu
05-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Please dont give up hope as Moose The Magnificent , once was gone , for almpost two months , and just as I was giving y=up , he was sitting , outside the window , a waiting ,for his dinner , as if nothing was amiss! The Prodigal cat , may with the help , of our Prayers , come back to you! All The Found cats , Stray Cats and Feeder are Praying , for Maggie , to come home , where she is so beloved!

Felicia's Mom
05-30-2004, 11:32 AM
I will keep praying for her return. Don't you give up yet.

I have never lost a kittie, but know I go nuts if I had to go through what you are.

aguu
05-31-2004, 10:39 AM
I subscribe to a cat newsletter that's run by a vet. I just received this article from her today. I hope it is of help to you.
Best of luck.

A cat that is lost and has never been outside will be frightened! Generally, cats do not go far. Once they realize they are in unfamiliar territory, they will hide - usually within a one block radius.

Cats do not walk miles and miles to find their home. They usually stay put. The first thing to do is call every local vet and animal shelter in your area. Report your cat to every pet store and emergency veterinarian clinic. Make a poster with your cat's picture on it and deliver it to all of these agencies.

Run off flyers giving a general discription of your cat, include a photo if you have one, tell when it was lost, where it was lost and request that the reader look in his or her shed, garage, under the deck, etc. Give phone numbers where you can be reached day and night. Put these flyers in the mailboxes of every house in your local neighbourhood. Covering a three block radius should suffice. This is far more effective then putting them on bulletin boards and light posts. Talk to people as you are doing this. Ask if you can look in their sheds and garages. Most people will be very sympathetic and will offer assistance. Ask people to put out food for your cat and to call you the second they spot a cat that matches your cat's description.

Next, visit your local shelter. Try to visit every day or every other day and look at what has been brought in overnight. Animal Services in Toronto has a wonderful website. You can look at found cats here.

Put an ad in the newspaper. Most has a lost/found pet section. Look at the found pet section every day to see if someone has reported your cat found. For people who have found a pet, the some papers offers a FREE FOUND PET AD for one week. If you have found a cat, please take adavantage of this wonderful service.

Most important, don't give up. It can take weeks to retrieve a lost pet. Your cat will come out when it is hungry. Usually they are spotted in the evening eating out of someone's garbage. Take a walk around your neighbourhood when the sun goes down. Call your kitty. She is out there and she is scared and hungry. Carry some food with you.

Very important: Don't try to chase your cat. A cat that has been out for awhile tends to be afraid. Get down low and call to your cat. Let her come to you. Offer her food. Once she lets you touch her, pick her up. If you are driving, make sure you have a carrier in your car at all times so that you can put your cat in the carrier once she's found. Putting a cat in a car is inviting disaster, as the moment you open the door, your cat may try to escape again. Once you've caught your cat it is important to hang on to her at all cost.

When you get your cat home, you may want to apply flea/tick medication. She will probably pick up fleas or possibly ear mites during her adventure.

As a precaution, it is always best to microchip your cat. Any cat brought into a vet's clinic or an animal shelter is scanned for microcips - this makes it easy to locate a cat's owners.

Amber
05-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Thankyou everyone.

Yesterday, A lady my mom works with saw a gray cat by her house. But she wasn't sure if it was a cat or not. My mom brought in pictures to see if they looked alike but she wasn't sure...She is going to search outside around her house to see. Hopefullt it was maggie. Her house is ony 1 bloke away from us.

hope it was her..

PayItForward
05-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Fingers crossed that it is Maggie, awaiting good news :)

If you can get there yourself, go and call for her, rattling treats. She is more likely to come out for you than a stranger.

Good Luck

bluekat
05-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Oh I sure hope it was Maggie!:)

Please keep us updated!

popcornbird
05-31-2004, 04:56 PM
Still praying for Maggie's safe return. Please keep us updated!!!

DogLover9501
05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
I really hope that was Maggie that she seen!

Will keep hoping for her safe, and soon return.

Amber
05-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Fingers crossed that it is Maggie, awaiting good news :)

If you can get there yourself, go and call for her, rattling treats. She is more likely to come out for you than a stranger.

Good Luck

Should I? I think I am..........

DogLover9501
05-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Yes, good, you should ;) I hope to hear some good updates!

Cinder & Smoke
05-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Amber

Yesterday, A lady my mom works with
saw a gray cat by her house.

My mom brought in pictures to see if they looked alike
but she wasn't sure...
She is going to search outside around her house to see.

Her house is ony 1 block away from us.

Amber ~

You shouldn't wait to "bring in pictures"...
and have someone else "take another look"...

*RUSH* Right Over There YOURSELF!!!!

When someone reports they "saw a Cat" -
YOU should "rush right over" and
do your OWN Investigationg and Identifying!

Maggie may not *wait* in any one place for very long -
a day or more after being *spotted* -
she may be gone from that location and on the move again.

TRY very hard to FOLLOW UP - *Immediately* -
when someone reports they've seen a Kitty!!

And be SURE you read what Aguu posted just above -
those *TIPS* are Excellent!

GOOD LUCK - Keep *LOOKING* for Maggie!

/s/ Phred

sirrahbed
05-31-2004, 05:33 PM
AMBER-GO GO GO and I am gunna sit right here and wait for you to report back:D Even if you don't find her tonight - try again tomorrow - do you have school? Please keep us updated so I can go to sleep tonight!!

CatMama78
05-31-2004, 05:46 PM
All fingers and paws crossed here that it is Maggie, please, please, please be Maggie...........

Amber
05-31-2004, 06:32 PM
no such luck.... :'(

Tomorrow I'm going back over their. She has to be in that area somewhere. I'm gonna search early in the morning.

no, I don't have school no more.

sirrahbed
05-31-2004, 06:36 PM
well, she is probably still there Amber:) Can you go in the morning, bring treats and her favorite toys-just sit in the area, stay low and sing or talk softly, wait for her to come to you?? She is probaby very scared by this time - but surely she will come to you soon! We will be here waiting to hear!! Don't give up!!! Take care and try to have a good night OK? (((((Amber)))))

PayItForward
05-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Make sure you take a carry case or a cotten pillowcase or a harness & lead to carry her home in.

Amber
05-31-2004, 07:02 PM
yes, I plan on taking her harness and leash.

I'm not sure if I can sit, and stay their. Its by peoples houses, and I don't want them to think anything. But Im gonna do what I need to do.

trayi52
05-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh, Amber, I hope and pray it's her and you get her!!! Please, please keep us updated.

I have been thinking about you, and thinking about how I would feel if it was Grover. I would be frantic, oh so frantic!

I'll keep my fingers crossed, and keep praying you get her.

Willie

moosmom
06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Amber,

I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie!! But please do not give up hope!

When LilEli fell out of my front window, I had absolutely no idea where he could be. It turns out he was hanging around my building the whole time. He was gone for 5 days. Cats that aren't used to being outside are frightened as the article Aguu posted said. They will usually stick very close to home.

You and Maggie are in my thoughts and prayers, honey!! Please keep us posted and whatever you do, DON'T give up hope!!

lizzielou742
06-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Good Luck finding her Amber and please come home soon Maggie!!

Your mommy loves you!

Lillycat
06-09-2004, 07:39 AM
hoping for some good news soon!

lynnestankard
06-09-2004, 07:47 AM
How's it going Amber? Any news of Maggie - keeping fingers and paws crossed.

Lynne