PDA

View Full Version : Got bad news: Need to have surgery! :(

Kirsten
05-29-2004, 08:20 AM
I've been in Goettingen today to see the doctor who has sent me to the MRI, and he told me that my herniated disc is really bad and that there's no other way but surgery! :(

I have to contact a neurosurgeon next week and then I'll hear about the details.

Needless to say, I'm terribly scared, and I hate to leave my girls for so long. :( They will be looked after, but now with Luna being sick I really don't feel comfortable with the thought of leaving her alone. And I know nobody else but me will be able to give her her meds! :(

OMG, why can't this just be an average disc hearnia that can be treated with physiotherapy? The doctor today told me that the radiologist last week has called him immediately to tell him he hasn't seen a disc slipped that bad for years! :( Actually I'm surprised that I can still walk! :(

Here's the x-ray scan, you can see yourself how big it is and how far it has already slipped into the spinal cord, I was told it has the size of the first phalanx of a thumb: :(

http://www.tillyschanze.de/xray.jpg

Kirsten

sirrahbed
05-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Oh Kirsten!!! I am so sorry and see how terrified you must be!! Yes, I also see my the scan that the disc is nearly compressing the cord!! OMG you must be in terrible pain:(

I do have one friend who had the lumbar disc surgery - and while surgery is never an easy option - she had such wonderful relief almost *immediately* that she was so happy to have it done - even the post operative pain was minor compared to what she suffered in advance!!

Yes, I understand your concern for Lily and Luna... Will your neighbor possibly be caring for them?? I know this is a very big decision since Luna needs her medication and also someone willing to patiently clean up after her:( :(

Oh how I wish some of us lived close by and could help you!!!
((((((Kirsten))))))))
:(

lynnestankard
05-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Kirsten I'm so sorry to hear this. No wonder your scared - anybody would be. Not a nice thing to be looking forward to. If it helps - how much better for you :) :)

Let us know how things go.

Fingers crossed here and prayers being said.

Lynne

AmberLee
05-29-2004, 09:29 AM
{{{cyberhugs, Kirsten}}}

primabella
05-29-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm keeping you in my prayers, Kirsten. :(

Randi
05-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Kirsten,

I'm so sorry you need the operation, but I can see from the x-ray that you do. :( Of course, you're scared, but I'm sure it'll go OK! :) They've done it so many times before. I suppose you'll know next week when you can have it done?

I hope you have someone who can look after Luna and Lily, someone who also loves them and know about cats. For how long will Luna need the medicine? Oh, what a situation! :( If I lived closer, I'd come and look after her and Lily. :)

I wish you all the best! :)

{{{Hugs}}}

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Kirsten,

I am sorry you have to have an operation, but I really am praying that is gives you relief from you pain.

I wish there was a PT'er close by to help you with Lily and Luna.

(((HUGS)))

Julie

luckies4me
05-29-2004, 10:39 AM
OMG that x-ray gave me chills. I cannot believe it is so close to the spinal cord. What would have happened if it would have moved furthur? I definitely think surgery is a must. :eek: My father has had this done about ten times, not all for slipped disks but back surgeries. I know a lady who had a disk fixed in her neck. She was having pain for years, then finally went to the doctors. She was in so much pain before the surgery that she could barely walk. Now after the surgery she says she is totally pain free, and felt relief right after having the surgery done. She woke up with no headaches, backaches etc. She is very happy to have had the surgery.

Is it possible to board the cats at the Veterinary Hospital until the kitty is done with her meds? That may be the safest bet. If she has to have them you will need to find a way to get them into her, so keeping her at the vet until her treatment is done may be the best route to go. Then, after she is all better she can come home agian?

Good luck! I know you must be scared, but think of the massive relief you are going to have when all of this is over. :)

Dogz
05-29-2004, 10:47 AM
I know that surgery sounds scary, but it will be a relief from your pain.

((hugs))

Kirsten, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

GoldenRetrLuver
05-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Wow. :eek:

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, Kirsten. I know it's scary, but it's for the best, and I'm sure everything will be 'okay'. :)

{{hugs}}

trayi52
05-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Kirsten, God I am so sorry that you have to go through this surgery! I hope you go through it with flying colors, and get back to normal quickly, so you can get back to your kittys. I would be scared too!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

Willie

Randi
05-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Kirsten, I actually was going to suggest that your vet could keep Luna for a few days, under the circumstances she may not charge much. :confused: I'm sure you'd feel confident with that! Just a thought. :)

rg_girlca
05-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh Kirsten, i'm sorry to hear that you will have to have surgery.
Try not to be scared. Think how much better you will feel after, to be able to get back to work, to get back on your feet financially and especially to be rid of the terrible pain that you must be in.
I'm sure your babies will be well taken care of and before you know it, you will be back home with your sweeties in no time.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way that the surgery goes well and you have a full and complete recovery.
Hang in there Kirsten.

(((((HUGS)))))

Albea
05-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Kirsten, I'm sorry there's no other solution for your pain, but if the surgery helps, you'll be glad you went through it. Many positive thoughts and best wishes for a quick recovery are going your way.
Alicia

Barbara
05-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Kirsten I hope so much they can do something with the newer micro-invasive methods. This disc really looks bad.

I know that these days surgery isn't proposed very often. Thinking of you and the furkids!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Kirsten,
There is a prayer-chain for you from Bahrain to South Africa. We are all praying for your quick recovery.

Please remember we are here for you, whatever you need.

(((HUGS)))

Julie

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Kirsten i am sorry that you have to have surgery..
I am praying for you and praying for a very quick recovery!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Cataholic
05-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Kirsten,
I am so sorry to hear you need surgery. I pray that you will find it a relief, you have had such pain. I hope Luna will get lots better before your surgery.

Hugs and prayers.
Johanna

sirrahved
05-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Oh Kirsten, I'll be praying for you! *hugs*

my aunt just had this procedure done not too long ago. Hers was so severe that she had numbness and pins and needles all on one side of her body. (happened from a specific injury, not over time) She said she felt better right when she woke up.

I know surgery is a very scary thought, but we'll be so happy when you are healthy and back to normal again!

Pam
05-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Ouch Kirsten! That MRI looks terrible! (((Hugs))) to you across the miles for a successful surgery and a speedy return to good health.

carole
05-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Dearest Kirsten,
I am really sorry to hear that you require surgery, it is always a scarey thought, but I am certain you will come through it with flying colours because everyone on PT will be praying and sending you positive vibes for a speedy recovery.

I sure understand your'e worry about the kitty's , I hate the thought of leaving mine even for a day, but they will be fine, just concentrate on getting well Kirsten so you can be re-united with them as soon as possible.
Take care and speedy recovery wishes are on their way.

davidpizzica
05-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Kirsten. You have ALL of PT praying for you! I know this is very scary, but I know you will come through this very well. The worst thing will be being away from your two babies especially when Luna needs you. Well, Nikki, Daisy, and I send you prayers and ((((HUGS)))) from Pittsburgh!!

Kirsten
05-30-2004, 01:50 PM
I thank you very much for your support and all the prayers!!! I'm very much in pain today so I think it's the best to have it done quickly - but of course I first have to make an appointment with a neurosurgeon and hear what he says.

It's encouraging to hear about people who had it done and who are feeling so much better after. Being without pain would be nice... and something definitely has to happen because this way I'm not able to make a living for myself and the girls. No way!!

Luna seems to do better at the moment, and I hope I'll be able to find out what kind of bacteria is bothering her before I go to hospital. Actually I don't want to give her to an animal clinic or something like that while I'm away... It would confuse her and depress her to be taken away from home, and being seperated from both me and Lily! Same goes for Lily! I'm sure she can deal very well with the fact that I'm away - as long as she has Luna around! Lily is very focussed on Luna, she's definitely the most important person in her life! I hope I'll have the time to care for Luna's bladder problem!

@Barbara: The orthopaedist I saw on Saturday mentioned something like micro surgery and lasering, so I hope it's possible to do it that way - I'm aware that the disc looks very bad and it scares me a lot! I'm feeling like there's a time bomb waiting to explode inside of me. I really don't want to wait much longer now, after I've seen it!

Kirsten

ramanth
05-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh Kirsten, I'm so sorry! :( I hope the surgery is quick and that you heal up real soon. Prayers and healing vibes sent your way. *hugs*

Karen
05-31-2004, 09:03 AM
We will keep you in our prayers, and hope that the surgery - and the relief - come soon! ANd that Miss Luna is alllllllll better right quick, so momma doesn't have to worry!

Steffi N
05-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Dear Kirsten, I hope very much that your surgeon is able to perform the laser/microsurgery procedure and that you recover quickly and are left pain free.
{{GENTLE HUGS}}

tuxluvr
05-31-2004, 10:20 AM
Oh, Kirsten, you are in my thoughts! Take care and do what the doctors all say-make sure you give yourself enough time to recuperate! Well wishes to you and the kitties too!

Hugs and headbumpies!

NoahsMommy
05-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Kristen,

I'm so sorry to hear you have to have surgery. :( But, hopefully, it'll fix you all up...wouldn't that be great??? I'll be praying hard it goes well and you heal so quick they will send you home early to your kitties.

I wish you lived closer...then we could all be PT nurses for you.

Feel better sweetie.

Love,
Kelly :)