PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this show and is it for real?

Fox-Gal
05-28-2004, 11:43 PM
I was changing channels tonight and came across some show with some really really bad singers. I had to see what this was about. :confused:

It was called WB Superstar. What I got out of it was it like America Idiol only they pick the worse singer and tell them they are good. They going to become superstars. The idea is to see how long they can go till they figure out it's all a joke.

Everyone I saw on it belives they are great singer and have what it takes to be a superstar. How they even think they are good is one thing, cause they where really bad. But to play a joke on someone on TV only to tell them in the end that we where just kidding, you have just become WB's worse singer.

It can't be for real. How can they do that to people, build their hopes up, on TV, to just tear them down in the end on national TV.

Now I have to be honesty, I did laugh as I watched it, so the idea at least gets people to watch, but during the whole thing I'm thinking these poor people when they find out the truth.

Did I miss something, sense I never saw it from the first show? Or are they really planing on humiliating people on national TV?

MariaM
05-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Lol sorry I have no idea because we don't get TV anymore!

binka_nugget
05-28-2004, 11:56 PM
I've recently started watching it as well. I think they actually are intending to tell the person at the end of the competition.

Maybe it's the mean side of me but I really enjoy watching it. It makes me feel better about my singing (LOL!) :p

slick
05-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
Did I miss something, sense I never saw it from the first show? Or are they really planing on humiliating people on national TV?
Yes they are and I think it's a really bad move. Just imagine for a moment that you are told that you could become a superstar and you work your butt off on songs and presentation, just to be told that's it's all a joke.

I have no intention of watching it.:mad:

bluekat
05-29-2004, 09:22 AM
I really don't like the show that much. I think its really mean how they're doing that. Because I heard that at the end, right before the finalists perform in front of all the people, the host comes out and tells the audience to cheer for them because they have cancer and are part of the Make A Wish foundation or something.
And they're making the people think that they really are good singers, and humiliate them in the end.:mad:

Randi
05-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure we get these kind of shows in Denmark, but I certainly wouldn't watch it!! It's both sad that some people will do almost anything to get their 15 min. of fame, and it's equally sad that TV stations will humiliate these poor people, just to get more viewers and earn more money. :( But, as long as people will watch it, they'll do it!

luckies4me
05-29-2004, 10:44 AM
I won't watch it either. There has been a quite a bit of controversy with this show. I think it's morally wrong to do this to someone, as well as lie to the audience.

Fox-Gal
05-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by bluekat
Because I heard that at the end, right before the finalists perform in front of all the people, the host comes out and tells the audience to cheer for them because they have cancer and are part of the Make A Wish foundation or something.
And they're making the people think that they really are good singers, and humiliate them in the end.:mad:

You got to be kidding, how could they even think that was right!!
You'd think in the end one of the people would take them to court or something, I mean there have been court casses over less things then this before.

TV will do anything for ratings, I guess. Thats sad that people feeling mean less to them then ratings do. They wouldn't think it was so funny if it was their child up there being humiliated.

Maybe it's the mean side of me but I really enjoy watching it. It makes me feel better about my singing (LOL!)

I know, as much as I hated these people going through this, I also thought the same thing. I'm tone deaf and still can do better then some of them. The difference is, I know I can't sing. You'd think some where along the line a friend or family member whould tell them that they can't sing, I know my family would have no problem telling me. :p

Moose
05-29-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm not going to lie -- I love the show, and I think it is hilarious. Granted, I do feel bad for the contestants ... but what can I do? ;)

rg_girlca
05-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Yes I saw the show and I can't believe that this is actually going on. How sick has reality T.V gotten these days.
I never heard about the audience being told these people have cancer. I heard that the audience is told about the prank and to make it look real that these people singing are good. In the end they are suppose to be told that they weren't looking for the best singer, but actually the worst singer. How humiliating is that?
I'm not watching it anymore either as I think it is totally ridiculous.
I really feel sorry for the singers who are going to have their dreams crushed. Even though they can't sing, the sad part is that they truly believe they can.
Don't the creaters of this show realize how traumatic this well be for the these kids. I can't believe that people would even take part in something like this and get a kick out of it.
Ridiculous, totally ridiculous.

guster girl
05-29-2004, 01:42 PM
It's like when they told those girls that guy was a millionaire and then they found out he really wasn't. I think that's how it went. I hate reality tv. There aren't many things I purely hate, but, reality tv is one of them. I've never watched even a minute of any of the shows except for Fear Factor. I sometimes will stop on Real World/Road Rules competition things, too. I like the sport of it, but, as soon as the drama starts oozing, I'm out. ;) I think all of those shows are cruddy, even the actual American Idol one. But, yeah, I think if they are actually lying to the people (which I have a hard time believing those people don't know what's going on), that's lame. But, again, it's all for publicity, and, as long as people watch it, they're going to keep pumping out sewage. Sad, sad, sad. C'est la vie.

CountryWolf07
05-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Very stupid.. that's all I'm gonna say about this show.

bluekat
05-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
You got to be kidding, how could they even think that was right!!
You'd think in the end one of the people would take them to court or something, I mean there have been court casses over less things then this before.

Yeah, I read in the newspaper that they told the audience that the contestants were from the Make a Wish foundation and to cheer them on...but after everyone found out the prank, the show had to apologize to the real Make a Wish foundation.

sirrahbed
05-29-2004, 07:17 PM
If people know about the TV show....how in the world do they get people to be in the audience and to be contestants on the show...without knowing it is a hoax?:confused: I mean - were the episodes are pre-taped before anyone knew about the show and are just now being shown? It sounds AWFUL to me! So humiliating!! What if the people really and truly believe it is real? This could ruin their lives:mad:

Uabassoon
05-29-2004, 07:22 PM
I mean - were the episodes are pre-taped before anyone knew about the show and are just now being shown?

Yup, the episodes aren't live. It's just like when the do the bachelor or those other shows. They have been filmed and edited way before they actually start to air.

Uabassoon
05-29-2004, 07:25 PM
I looked around on google and I don't see anything about the audience being told that they were from make a wish foundation. Just that the audience was in on the joke. After reading a few articles it seems like a majority of the contestants didn't mind being fooled, they are happy with all the publicity. I mean isn't that what all the people do on reality shows anyway? They just agree to go on them because they want attention.

Uabassoon
05-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Yes, I'm really bored. But I did find an article where it said they were from the make a wish foundation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000513131

sirrahbed
05-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
After reading a few articles it seems like a majority of the contestants didn't mind being fooled, they are happy with all the publicity. I mean isn't that what all the people do on reality shows anyway? They just agree to go on them because they want attention.

I am glad to read that the people at least know what they are in for. I am SO out of it - have never even watched a reality show - don't even watch TV except News and Animal Planet:o (I know, I am a geek) Actually, I think I am GLAD I am a geek:D Geek is GOOD.

bluekat
05-29-2004, 07:49 PM
I just went to the site and found the part...

Fleiss and company even lied at one point to the studio audience, though it won't be in the series. To keep audience members from booing and hooting the obviously awful performances, a producer announced that the contestants were terminally ill beneficiaries of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. A spokesman for the WB later apologized for the remark but not, regrettably, for the show itself.

:mad: Why would they lie about something like that?