PDA

View Full Version : making agility obstacles

guster girl
05-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Has anyone ever made agility obstacles? I have a big backyard and would be interested in making obstacles to introduce to Finn. Does anyone have any advice on a practical (ie inexpensive) way to do so? I eventually want to get him into classes, but, I'd like to get him introduced sooner than that. His advanced obedienced training classes start in June, and, last 8 weeks. So, it'll be after that that I get him into agility or flyball classes. :)

jenfer
05-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I have no idea. But Gigi's trainer made a lot of those obstacles...like the jump stand (or whatever they are called) and it's cheaper to make it themselves.

Speaking of flyball, I saw that on TV the other day and think it's so cool. :D

guster girl
05-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, flyball looks like it would be so much fun! :) Finn loves tennis balls, but, I've never asked him to jump over a hurdle. I don't think it's good for his hips this young. But, soon! I'm going to search online for ideas, and, I know a guy that is really handy and I'm sure if I bought the supplies and threw in a bottle of Crown Royal or something, he'd help me put everything together. :) I don't want or need anything fancy. Just practical and safe.

primabella
05-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Hmmm I don't know how you'd go about making a whole obstacle course but I made Mickey a jump. I took two cement blocks and these sticks we use for the garden to keep the tomato plants up. I lay the stiucks down horizontally on top of the blocks. Then I took the plastic basketball net we have and lay it down horizontally a good distance away. Those were his jumps. :D It was homemade and cost me nothing.

Shelteez2
05-28-2004, 06:01 PM
http://www.dog-play.com/agility/agilitye.html

This site has several tips for making different types of equipment.

Crikit
05-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Just a bit of advice as far as making agility obstacles go, try to stay away from things like the contact equipment (teeter, bridge, a-frame) as well as the weaves, as those are obstacles that should be taught to both you and the dog by a trained professional or someone who has a good deal of experience in agility.