PDA

View Full Version : What is YOUR anti-depressant of choice?

sirrahbed
05-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Not to offend - but to attempt to take Clinical Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety, Panic, Bi-Polar and other related illnesses out of the DogHouse and into the public eye and maybe take a look at some of the issues. This poll is NOT meant to be taken scientifically though I did attempt to make the list as complete as possible - but hopefully to get an idea perhaps of the fact that *mental* illness being quite common to various degrees and that it is nothing to be ashamed of. We have had a very good thread going in the DogHouse but it does not need to be there. So...here we go!

*light-hearted at times is quite OK but please remember that we are talking about Depression as an ILLNESS and not "the blues" that virtually everyone gets from time to time. I think that all of us here would likely agree that our wonderful pets offer the very best therapy of all!! Thanks!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-27-2004, 03:09 PM
I did respond to your poll, but my 1st drug of choice wasn't listed, so I voted my 2nd........1st is Chocolate;)

sirrahbed
05-27-2004, 03:13 PM
DUH! Chocolate! Of Course!! well, that is a given:D Actually, isn't chocolate a SSRI?? Or am I dreaming that? I know that I just read it is GOOD for pregnant mothers - results in babies with sweeter dispositions:) No kidding. It is also #1 choice of medication for PMS. I can't live without it. It's like one of the major food groups.
*edit Benefits of CHOCOLATE (http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/whatis.htm) Aha!!! It IS an SSRI!!!

Kfamr
05-27-2004, 03:21 PM
These weren't an option on the poll.
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/DogBeach5-25/1.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
05-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Ourz got left offa list :(.

Dad takez a "Combo" ~

**TWO Dogz** :D :D an *Wun KAT* :D

Az offin az required! ;)

Kfamr
05-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

an *Wun KAT* :D

Ahh...see!
Now, I have a new reason/excuse to my parents for getting a cat..

"Dr. Phred said...."

moosmom
05-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Paxil saved my life!! That and my cats!!!

K9soul
05-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Pets are indeed wonderful therapy, and I think they always help when feeling down, but true clinical depression can be utterly disabling and sometimes medical treatment is truly necessary. It can be medically treated very successfully. I think too often it's viewed as a sign of weakness when someone resorts to medical treatment of depression, or a sign of strength when someone holds back from medical treatment, since it is not often viewed as much of a disorder as diabetes or hypertension. It is not (usually) someone taking a pill in order to be happy, which seems a common misconception.

sirrahbed
05-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Pets are indeed wonderful therapy, and I think they always help when feeling down, but true clinical depression can be utterly disabling and sometimes medical treatment is truly necessary. It can be medically treated very successfully. I think too often it's viewed as a sign of weakness when someone resorts to medical treatment of depression, or a sign of strength when someone holds back from medical treatment, since it is not often viewed as much of a disorder as diabetes or hypertension. It is not (usually) someone taking a pill in order to be happy, which seems a common misconception.

K9soul, I agree with you totally and completely - and that is one of the reasons I put this thread in place. I don't think those who reference their pets as a cure mean any harm, just being light-hearted - but it IS a misunderstanding that I wish to clear up - of course it will never be completely the way I wish it could be. But, things DO change. In biblical times, epilepsy was seen as an evil, a sign of possession by the devil. Now, the stigma is being removed. I also have seizures but there are completely controled!!

Likewise, Depression is NOT a weakness, in fact it takes strength to recognize it and seek help when and if it is necessary.

Kfamr
05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
I for one were just kidding around. :rolleyes:

K9soul
05-27-2004, 04:15 PM
I also didn't mean to seem scolding at all to any who reference their pets... I sure agree 100% how therapeutic pets are. I just wanted to add my thoughts there though because some people may feel they are being "weak" by resorting to medications and they shouldn't at all :).

Logan
05-27-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm a bit surprised that this is even a subject that we're tackling at Pet Talk, especially in a poll since every single person might get different advice from a medical doctor. But I like Kay's answer.....my dogs, cats and birds, and my family are my best anti-depressant, at this stage in life. I don't mean to diminish the needs of anyone affected by this horrible disease, please understand, but I would think that any doctor or medical person might have a different idea about how it should be treated, depending on the particular patient.

Kirsten
05-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I agree, pets are a wonderful therapy, and my kitties are better than any pill! But I guess if somebody is really depressive, meds are the only option. After all, depression occurs when the serotonin transmission is blocked for some reason, and I think meds are the only way to make that work again.

LOL, yes, chocolate works great, but it has bad side-effects... at least my scales are telling me that! ;)

Kirsten

Kfamr
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM

edit: ok now I got the rolley eyes emoticon for the first time.

Sorry for posting :(

EESH! I didn't mean it against you.

Lets all go take a dose of our pets.

DJFyrewolf36
05-27-2004, 04:20 PM

Well said K9.

My first anti-depressant choice : My hubby
Second : The critters *something about waking up to a gecko staring at you is wonderful, don't know why though*

Honestly though, Ive been on LOTS of antidepressants and the only ones that honestly work on really bad days is stuff that is natural, like St. Johns Wart. I don't know but it really works for me and it doesn't make me dizzy like a lot of antidepressants do. I have a really bad reaction to most medications in general, *I can't even take most over the counter pain relievers* so I have to be really careful as to what I take or else I could get very ill. Sometimes, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle because I want to be better and I can't just will the depression and ainxiety to go away. Also it kind of doesn't help when doctors can't agree as to what exactly is wrong :rolleyes: so they try to use the aproach of "Lets throw a medication at it and see if it works". So not only do I have the original problem but also I have the problem that the meds are making me sick. Since I've been researching more holistic methods, I find that actualy there is something out there that works for me. My life is getting on track and I feel so much happier and less anxious.

This poll is a good idea sirrahbed. :)

DJFyrewolf36
05-27-2004, 04:23 PM
And to add:

YES lets all go take a dose of our pets!:D

K9soul
05-27-2004, 04:31 PM
DJFyrewolf I think you really nailed a lot of the problems right on. Too often drugs get thrown out to people when it may or may not be what is needed or best for the individual. I think if it is at all possible, natural alternatives are the best way to go.

As I do medical transcription, I see just how often people come in to a doctor, say they are feeling anxious or down, and how often the doctor will immediately start them on an antidepressant or anti-anxiety agent, after a 5 minute talk with the patient.

DJFyrewolf36
05-27-2004, 04:46 PM
I was always afraid to go to a doctor for my problems because of just THAT K9. I was afraid that I'd just be shoved a pill and expected to feel better :mad: . So many times, depression has many many parts to it and I think doctors need to treat the patient, and not the disease.

Thats why talking about it helps! I should form a PT support group so people can vent :)

zippy-kat
05-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Currently, I am on Zoloft. I would rather be on prozac but my insurance isn't prozac-friendly.

I've had wellbutrin but it made me so sick I couldn't get out of bed.

Karen
05-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Thankfully I have never needed meds against depression, that seems to be something my gene pool doesn't lead to. For this I am quite thankful. Hugs usually work for me, and nose-pets for Miss Hoppy. I know that for those who need medical intervention, different drugs work for different people, which make sense given each individual's different brain chemisty.

sirrahbed
05-27-2004, 05:10 PM
I surely hope I have not opened any can of worms here. I had hoped this could be light hearted AND serious if possible and the listing of all the medications was just an anonymous way to show how very common that *some* sort of treatment was - not to push meds - totally non scientific - though now I wish I had done it a bit differently. As in the DogHouse thread, I told that my diagnosis is PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I have been on many. many anti-depressants and unfortunately, was not helped by any of them, though many people are. I take medication specific to control panic attacks and seizures. Like several people have said, my kitties are by far the most wonderful therapy I have - that and hubby as my very best friend! PetTalk is another therapy for me - a way to interact, especially during times when I am not doing well and am housebound. The Internet has enabled me to connect with and meet with survivors of the same trauma I have survived and I would otherwise have assumed I was alone!
BTW - I did check with Karen RE: this thread and if it goes *poof* that is the reason. :) The last thing I want to do is bring offense or hurt to anyone!!

*EDIT - I see that Karen posted so I guess the thread is A-OK:)

lynnestankard
05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Debbie - good thread.
There are many people slightly thrown by depressive illness and to get things 'out' in the open certainly does no harm.
I'm lucky I've never had any doctor try to shut me up (!) with tablets. But that is a problem for many people - getting the right doctor for them.
I was lucky my GP knew there was something wrong - and even though I argued I wasn't depressed he didn't quit on me and finally I agreed to see a psychiatrist, who to this day I bless, he took me into a private care centre and I was treated with Prozax initially, saw counsellours and talked endlessly - I cried many tears - and laughed too.
I was together with a wonderful group of people and the help we gave each other was priceless - to this day I've not forgotten the love, care and kindness of other depressives.
Yes I still get bad times - hence my disappearance after New Year - but as long as I keep on my present medication - Citalopram - I will come out of the endless black tunnel and carry on - perhaps and hopefully a little wiser and definately grateful.

Lynne

K9soul
05-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Sirrah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the thread. I do think I posted more seriously after it was meant in a more light-hearted way, I probably should have thought a bit more about it before I posted. Sometimes I just have a thought and speak it and it's not always stated the right way or at the right time.

I also should clarify I am not against medicines at all but what I am against is how some of the medical community so easily prescribes them when they may not necessarily be indicated and also without educating about the medicines, how they work, what effects they may have, and so on. But I also think it is probably that way for a lot of other medications too, not only antidepressants.

I totally support people being able to feel like that can more openly discuss these issues and I think overall this board has a great bunch of understanding people :)

minkyboodle
05-27-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm currently on Zoloft and it is the first pill i've taken for my depression/anxiety/paranoia. It has greatly helped me alot, I love my pets and they are very theraputic but man, I was so bad I wasn't taking care of myself or them, luckly I've got a good boy who loves me and takes care of me and my animals when I'm not able to.

My docs also weren't very quick to prescribe meds to me without talking to me about it first and see what other measures I've taken. Once we decided that therapy and such weren't helping all too much and my problems really were affecting my way of life that we decided meds would be a good option.

I never regret our decision to get on my meds, if I didn't get on them...well..I wouldn't have the strength to talk to like anyone anymore. so yay for my drugs working for me!

sirrahbed
05-28-2004, 09:17 AM
I do think I posted more seriously after it was meant in a more light-hearted way
I totally support people being able to feel like that can more openly discuss these issues and I think overall this board has a great bunch of understanding people :)

I agree K9 and do not think you hurt any feelings - we can be light hearted AND serious - yes? Good people here
:)

cali
05-28-2004, 09:43 AM
you forgot puppys! lol when my mom was in deeo clinical deppression the ONLY thing that got her out of it was when we got happy.

sirrahbed
05-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by cali
you forgot puppys! lol when my mom was in deeo clinical deppression the ONLY thing that got her out of it was when we got happy.

You are right!! I should have added babies, kittens, puppies and CHOCOLATE! (but here at PT, we probably already knew that;) )

slleipnir
05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
I could be on pills, but for the time being I've chosen to try to work things out myself. So far so good. I feel like I'm too young right now to start with that stuff. So long as I don't fall back to how I was before, I think I'll be fine without them. Although, something for anxiety might be good. I'm horrible with that

gini
05-28-2004, 11:15 AM
My first reaction to this thread was light hearted..........I immediately thought about my kitties.....and when I have been down, I can always count on Rascal for some love and reassurance.

My second thought was that, as Karen said, I am lucky, my gene pool has provided me with stability and strength.

And there isn't a person in my family that does not love chocolate.
(reminder to get new bathroom scale......this one cannot be right)

But my final thought reminded me of a friend's son..........he is on medication and once he starts feeling better......he stops taking it. He was alone one weekend and off his meds. The results were disastrous. There was a public display and he stood on top of his car tearing his clothes off. The neighbors called the police. He did not get the help he needed immediately and it took a long time to get him stable again.

With so many people coming forward and volunteering that they need these medications - then no......this isn't a light hearted subject at all.

Logan
05-28-2004, 12:03 PM
I have reconsidered my original response, given all that I have read here. I am fortunate that I have not personally dealt with this sort of mental illness, nor has anyone in my family that I know of.

Although I still encourage anyone suffering from the symptoms described here to get medical attention, first, from a doctor you trust, I'm glad that there is a place you can come and share your experiences, and where the rest of us can learn.

Last year, I was having trouble sleeping. I mean MAJOR trouble and I went to see my doctor about it. The first thing he did was put me through a "test" to determine whether I might be depressed. I was not (told him that from the start, but I appreciate his willingness to get to the bottom of the problem). My problem was stress, not depression. It's not gone, and on occasion, I still need a sleep aid to help me sleep, but at least we pinpointed the issues I am dealing with that caused the sleep issues, as well as some blood pressure issues, which are now under control with medication.

I applaud all of you who are taking the steps to help yourselves. And if being here, talking about your issues, as well as your pets, helps you! We're so glad to be a part of your recovery!!!!! :) You all certainly help me get my "getaway", every day, sharing in the joy and sorrow of pet ownership. :)

sirrahbed
05-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by gini
My first reaction to this thread was light hearted..........I immediately thought about my kitties.....and when I have been down, I can always count on Rascal for some love and reassurance.

With so many people coming forward and volunteering that they need these medications - then no......this isn't a light hearted subject at all.

I think light-hearted may not be the word I was looking for....sort of but not quite - maybe loving or compassionate might have been better? Maybe soft-hearted? Here is a cut and paste of the beginning:
Not to offend - but to attempt to take Clinical Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety, Panic, Bi-Polar and other related illnesses out of the DogHouse and into the public eye and maybe take a look at some of the issues. This poll is NOT meant to be taken scientifically though I did attempt to make the list as complete as possible - but hopefully to get an idea perhaps of the fact that *mental* illness being quite common to various degrees and that it is nothing to be ashamed of. We have had a very (see **companion below) good thread going in the DogHouse but it does not need to be there. So...here we go!

*light-hearted at times is quite OK but please remember that we are talking about Depression as an ILLNESS and not "the blues" that virtually everyone gets from time to time. I think that all of us here would likely agree that our wonderful pets offer the very best therapy of all!! Thanks!!
Also: there is a sort of **companion thread called *Withdrawn* that Karen moved from the DogHouse - and here is a statement I made there - also explaining my motivation to continue this topic in the first place:
AGAIN - no medical advice here - just discussion to assure people this is COMMON, it is OK, ways of coping are available - some medical, some practical - but the problems so very common and global - OK?:) See that lovely self assured actress on the big screen? See your physician or lawyer with all the degrees? See the friendly lady that takes your money at the bank or grocery store? See the statesman with the big words and confident speech? The man who keeps the school clean? The lady who keeps people in stitches with funny cat stories? They likely get depressed, probably get counseling and may even take medication. NO BIG DEAL!
Serious? YES, potentially
Shameful or odd? NO WAY
Common? like the common cold, sadly
An Easy Remedy? NO, but talking about it is a great first step

Glacier
05-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't take meds anymore, but I have in the past...Serzone actually. It worked great for me, but it has been pulled from the market. If you've been on this drug, you need to get your liver function tested RIGHT NOW!!! I didn't suffer any ill effects from using Serzone, but lots of people have. There are several class action lawsuits against the manufacturer right now.

BitsyNaceyDog
05-28-2004, 12:39 PM
5 1/2 years ago I was a mess. I had a huge problem with anxiety but didn't know it. I just considered myself as shy. It was a lot more than that. I was afraid to go anywhere or do anything, I also couldn't talk to people. I was always in my bedroom. I became very depressed and was always crying or sleeping. I also was a cutter. I would cut my legs, and even burned them a couple times.

I've never really talked about this before to anyone except for a counselor, who didn't help. Then about 5 years ago I was put on paxil. Wow was I a new person after that!! Today I still am fighting the anxiety, but it's much better, and no depression. Also no cutting for about 5 years.

I am in the process of switching my meds because Justin and I want to have a baby soon. Paxil has too many side-effects that I've been dealing with for too long. Also you shouldn't be on paxil while you are pregnant or nursing. My doctor is switching me to zoloft, which has not proven to be harmful to babies. I am currently being weaned off the paxil.

aguu
05-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Sirrahbed - this is a good thread.
For the first time in my life I am on anti-depressants - Paxil.
It has done WONDERS for me.
Things got pretty bad for me - to the point that I did not even feel like getting out of bed or playing with my Mishka.
BUT - I think he (Mishka) may have saved my life on one or two occasions as well. I'll leave it at that.

lynnestankard
05-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Wow Debbie - well said - wish I had your way with words. Thanks.

Lynne

sirrahbed
06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi! I am bumping up this thread to ressurrect it as I think it was going well - also as a companion to "Withdrawn" - gee - wish we could combine them without this silly title I came up with!!:rolleyes: Take care all!

kimlovescats
06-03-2004, 01:36 PM
I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with Major Depressive Illness and Panic Disorder. Through the years I have tried many different medications with many different undesirable side effects. About 5 years ago I tried Celexa (when it was new) and I have been on it ever since. I had to increase my dosage once, only about 6 months after starting it ... but have maintained on 40mg. per day since then. It has helped greatly with my panic attacks as well, although very rarely I will still have one, and I take a Xanax for that.

Debbie, thank you so much for starting these threads, and being caring enough to share your story. Although I am not in the deep gloom that I was many times before, I still have my down times when I need to remember that I am not the only one who has this disease.

HUGS,

Kim;)

leslie flenner
06-03-2004, 07:53 PM
what is citalopram? Sounds like a generic name for something but can't imagine what!?
Kim- sorry you didn't follow A's "Withdrawn" thread and wonder if you have by now? Sirrahbed very open and honest! Very brave of her! (Bravo and thanks to her for this sharing of something so very very painful). Do read the thread when you get a chance if you have not yet!
Never tried Paxil but have been on Zoloft for a very long time. And Neurontin as prn for a year. (for panic and extreme anxiety)- there have been times when I'm driving to work or elsewhere and I feel like I'm gonna crash the car, or I left the coffee pot on, or I'm afraid my apt. will burn down with all my cats- to the point that I can't stop thinking I'm either going to die or get killed (on the road) or pass out or somethink horrific is going to happen! Then I start crying because I can't stop the awful feeling- can't shake it by thinking of something else, deep breaths, fool with the radio- nothing helps. So if I take a few Neurontin, it calms me way down, but is non-addictive like Xanax and Klonopin and Ativan.

sirrahbed
06-03-2004, 07:54 PM
citalopram = generic for brand name Celexa

NoahsMommy
06-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Most, if not all, of these medications are made to be taken along with weekly (or more) visits to a therapist.

Its sad that regular MD's can prescribe all these types of medications. There isn't a lot of monitoring done. When I worked for an MD, he was prescribing Paxil to anyone that asked for it!! We even got some of their new marketing literature that asks doctors to prescribe it for women to have it onhand for small occurances like being late for work, having a fight with their spouse/children, even stress of a mother-in-law!!!! Rediculous!!!

I work with two women who see the same psychiatrist. Their doctor will not prescribe them meds if she thinks they aren't working on themselves as well as taking their medication. They both suffer from anxiety as well as depression and really are benefiting from that type of monitoring. She requires them to see her monthly and to see a psychologist weekly/twice a month.

I didn't say this to offend. Please no one take it the wrong way. Its my major, so of course I'll have an opinion. ;) Its just my opinion.... :) I haven't had to take any drugs like this, so maybe it'd be different if I did have to. I almost went on an anti-anxiety drug in hopes it would help my Crohn's, but both my GI and Rheumatologist said they didn't think I needed them/want me on them.

My MD called in an RX for Ativan...nice! This is what I mean...Ativan is for panic attacks...I don't have panic attacks!!!

sirrahbed
06-03-2004, 08:29 PM
:D The silly title really isn't what this thread is about Kelly. It's about all sorts of phobias, fears and anxieties that are so, so common. The title was a silly gimmick on my part to get attention. Well not attention exactly - but an attempt to spread an understanding of the widespread misunderstanding of emotional illnesses and the tendency towards seeing them as weaknesses or something to feel ashamed of or embarrssed by and thus kept in silence. Me? I am a blabbermouth these days - is part of my healing. But your observations are VERY valid as far as over prescription of medication as a cure-all. Sometimes they are overused and other times they save lives. This is individual and can only be determined with the help of a trained physician and hopefully along with a therapist. There is also a "companion thread" called "Withdrawn". You could likely offer some good input there as well! Lots of us have decided that our animals should have been added to the mock "poll" here:D

NoahsMommy
06-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
:D The silly title really isn't what this thread is about Kelly.
I'm sorry! :( I guess I missed the point...

I agree...phobias and mental illness are not weaknesses.

:)

animal_rescue
06-04-2004, 12:45 AM
grrrrr I hate Paxil(no offense to those it helped but..)
I used to take paxil and guess what I got the suicidal effects!!
I now have a huge scare in my arm the says H.A.T.E and I almost overdosed on anything I could find!!
My mom put me in a mental hospital for 3 days until I begged her to take me out of it because this girl heard voices in her head and had a crush on me!!:( She also wanted to hurt someone and you know waht she looked at me an awful lot!!
We were so neglected in that place it wasn't even funny!!
So now I'm talking to my mom about sueing because I found a lawer who deals with people who had the paxil effects!!(go to paxhelp.com)