PDA

View Full Version : Fred and Wilma uppydate:)

Sirrahsim
05-26-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm too drugged to drive and I get sick after cleaning for more than 5 minutes or so, so here I am posting pictures! Thanks to Lacey's research, I think that this should be Fred sitting here on the nest. It's wierd, I can go right out onto the balcony and he doesn't budge. Either he's not afraid of me, or he's REALLY protective of his two eggs.
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/Dsc00614.jpg
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/Dsc00615.jpg

And here is Boomer begging me to let him out onto the balcony so that he can "play" with Fred:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/Dsc00616.jpg
Yes, he knows how to open the screen door, but since I was standing right there I wasn't too worried.

jazzcat
05-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Now Boomer you leave Fred and Wilma alone.

That is interesting that Fred doesn't budge when you go out. I'd say it's both a protective instinct and probably a use to humans thing too.

Thanks for the update.

kimlovescats
05-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Awww, what a good Dad Fred is going to be!!! Thanks for the update!;)

Fallon
05-27-2004, 02:58 AM
He looks so cute sitting on the nest and guarding the babies. It'll be so neat for you to be able to see them when the eggs hatch. I can't wait for some pictures of that. Again, hope you feel better soon.

catmandu
05-27-2004, 08:58 AM
It looks as though Big Boomer wants a Little Pigeon , under Glass!Or Kentucky Fried Pigeon!

sirrahbed
05-27-2004, 09:28 AM
OK 18 days to hatch - the eggs have been there about a week? So we have baby pigeons say...June 10th or so:D Then we see Pebbles and Bam-Bam!! Fun for Boomer!!! (and us) Hopefully they will then all fly away evenyually and you can bleach the eeckk!! balcony before they come back with Barney and Betty!!! Did you save the recipe from - was it Meg?

CatMama78
05-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Look at Boomer - he is really edging to get his hunt on!

Edwina's Secretary
05-27-2004, 11:44 AM
We had a pair of mourning doves who nested in a hanging pot. Although they are mean it was fascinating to watch mom and dad take turns on the nest. Mom would sit on the eggs....dad would go bowling, have a few brewskis and then it was his turn. Mom would get her nails done, have lunch and they would switch again.

Babies were grown and left the nest in about two weeks!

Enjoy your bird tutorial!

Keth
05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
We've had a pair of mallards (Ben & J-Lo) nesting in the flower garden by our front door since the beginning of May. Well, it's actually just J-Lo now, since Ben took off once she finished laying. It's been interesting watching her lay the eggs, then start incubating 'em. She isn't aggressive like other nesting birds I've seen; she just hunkers down in her nest and tries to blend in with the mulch and flowers if you get too close. It sounds like Fred is trying to do the same thing; if he doesn't move or call attention to himself, he's hoping you won't notice. We roped off part of the front sidewalk by the nest for J-Lo to give her some privacy, and we put some cracked corn out for her. Hopefully we'll have ducklings in a week or so, probably about the time Pebbles and Bam Bam make their appearance too :)