PDA

View Full Version : Off to do our duty

catnapper
05-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Its already Wednesday night! We are headed over to the nursing home where Pouncer has a permanent appearance every Wednesday night from now til ???

I'm a bit nervous because it'll be a bit different than last time. We went to activities rooms the last time and showed him to large groups. Those who wanted to hold him could, and then we visited a few rooms of people they knew were cat lovers. tonight, we will be doing private rooms only. A little one-on-one Pouncer loving!

My daughter is also going tonight because she volunteered there as a candy striper last summer and they requested to see her again (but she hopes to not see the old man who kept pinching her behind!!!)

Well, Pouncer's all ready to go and has managed to freak himself out while wearing the harness.... you should have seen him zoom - zoom -zoom around the room all freaked out.

catnapper
05-26-2004, 08:33 PM
We're back.. and I can only say that it was a HUGE disappointment. The majority of the residents were getting ready for bed - or already asleep. I felt odd and uncomforatble knocking on doors or peeking in to see who would like to see Pouncer. He was FREAKED out by the huge thunder storm going on at the time. I've never seen him upset at storms, but he really scared himself when I put the harness and leash on him in the room. He scared himself when a big lighting strike hit... he went to hide, and the leash followed him. He jumped so high in fear and bounced off walls and furniture like a pinball.

Anyway, it was such a disappointment. It was much better in the afternoon when people were in the lounges and hallways. I felt like such a voyer. My daughter decided to be shy and didn't talk to anyone :rolleyes: and quite a few people tried to talk to her. Oh well.

I only got one good picture from tonight. Once again, I'm editing the face to protect privacy.
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/Cats/Therapycat5.jpg
You can see my daughter in the background playing with her hair.

I'll have to talk to the activities director about switching out visits to afternoons.

CatMama78
05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Aw, yuck, I'm sorry to hear it didn't go so well. I'm just in awe that Pouncer is social enough to visit strangers. My guys would be hidden in fear the whole time.

Your daughter is so cute.

kimlovescats
05-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Oh Kim, I'm sorry tonight was disappointing... but there will be better days ahead. What you are doing is absolutely wonderful, and from the look on that man's face in the picture, your night was a complete success!!!!:D

(((HUGS)))

RedHedd
05-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Oh Kim, I'm sorry tonight was disappointing... but there will be better days ahead. What you are doing is absolutely wonderful, and from the look on that man's face in the picture, your night was a complete success!!!!:D

(((HUGS))) I agree! There's an old Emerson poem that I love and refer to often in times like this:

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent
people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation
of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to
appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the
world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden
patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one
life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The face on that man looks like you helped him breathe easier - you're a success today. :)

jazzcat
05-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
I agree! There's an old Emerson poem that I love and refer to often in times like this:

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent
people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation
of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to
appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the
world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden
patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one
life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The face on that man looks like you helped him breathe easier - you're a success today. :)

RedHedd that is a beautiful poem. I had never heard that one before, thanks for sharing. You are right, I think Kim and Pouncer did make life a little nicer for that man.

Kim, I think it's great you are making this effort. More scritchies and praises for Pouncer.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Don't be too dissapointed - this is all still so new to you and Pouncer! I agree that switching to afternoons may be better!

Fallon
05-27-2004, 03:04 AM
I'm sorry it was a disappointment and I hope your hours do get switched so you can have more fun and see more people. How calm Pouncer looks just sitting in that man's arms.. he must be a really great kitty. Poor Pouncer, being all scared from the lightning.. well at least it's over now. Does he seem upset at you? heh.

Killearn Kitties
05-27-2004, 05:20 AM
I hope Pouncer got a good night's sleep and is back to his old self today.

I'm sorry last night was a disappointment for you. I would not have felt very comfortable either, knocking on doors at a time when people were likely to be gong to bed. You and Pouncer still made a difference last night though. The man holding Pouncer doesn't think it was a disappointing night. He looks happy. I'm sure it will get easier once you get to know some people, and once they get to know you will come on Wednesdays. Before long, the Pouncer lovers will probably be queueing by the front door waiting for him.:D

Good luck for next week.

catcrazylady
05-27-2004, 05:45 AM
OH I'm sorry that it was disappointing. I'm amazed that a freaked out Puncer is being so good sitting in the lap of a very happy man! That poor gentleman would be bleeding if it was one of mine!
I think your right about going in the afternoons when people are up and about. I think you have to agree that the night wasn't a waste by the look on that mans face. Sometimes instead of helping many you may only help one but to that one it couldn't have been more important.
Great job by you and by Pouncer!! I'm so impressed with such a wonderful and good natured kitty!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catnapper
05-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Thank you everyone! RedHedd, that was a beautiful poem. You are all right that I am looking at it frm the wrong perspective. I DID make a difference in a few people last night. They went to bed happier because they got to hold Pouncer. And he was a good boy despite being very upset and scared.

I still think that I'll try to get earlier appointments just because it was creepy walking down lonely empty hallways and peeking into doors.

catmandu
05-27-2004, 08:47 AM
I have tried to see , if anyone was interested in Moose ,The magnificent , but I would have to provide , my owh transit ,and Moose , does not care , for the Bus!

Cataholic
05-27-2004, 10:22 AM
You know, if sometimes WEREN'T disappointing, you wouldn't have any times to say, Pouncer was a HERO! So, relax, one lackluster evening does not a failure make.