PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about getting a rat or another small rodent, any advise??

My Peanuts
05-26-2004, 02:56 PM
I have had mice and gerbils in the past, but now I'm thinking about getting a rat. After seeing the litter that Cass has and reading several posts it's stuck in my head. I have some questions though. What size/type cage should I have? I used to keep my mice and gerbils in tanks and sometimes cages, which is better? Also I am also playing with the idea of getting a gerbil instead. What are the major differences between gerbils and rats for those who have owned both? What are the hairless rats called? and are they hard to find? Is it ok to have just one rat or will he/she get lonely?

Sorry for all the questions. It's probably a bit early to be asking all this as I have not asked my mom and dad yet :rolleyes:
Thanks!

My Peanuts
05-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh and should I go to a pet store?? I just looked on petfinder and the closest rat is over 100 miles away :eek: If not a pet store then where should I go? Thanks again.

Kfamr
05-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, first off, I'm no rattie expert, but i'm going to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability. Since i've been wanting a rattie for a while, i've been doing alot of research and asking alot of questions. :)

Ratties should have a rather large cage. With different layers,
Tanks are no good because they don't give enough venilation.

I believe hairless rats are called exactly that. It's a recessive gene, I think, not a different 'breed' of rats. I'm not sure how easy they are to find.

Rats should be homed in pairs of two or more of the same sex. They will get lonely housed alone.

I'd recommend trying to find a breeder in your area. Maybe Cass knows of a good one.

Any/all of thse answers could be false, but like I said i'm no rattie expert.:o

luckies4me
05-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Well, first off, I'm no rattie expert, but i'm going to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability. Since i've been wanting a rattie for a while, i've been doing alot of research and asking alot of questions. :)

Ratties should have a rather large cage. With different layers,
Tanks are no good because they don't give enough venilation.

I believe hairless rats are called exactly that. It's a recessive gene, I think, not a different 'breed' of rats. I'm not sure how easy they are to find.

Rats should be homed in pairs of two or more of the same sex. They will get lonely housed alone.

I'd recommend trying to find a breeder in your area. Maybe Cass knows of a good one.

Any/all of thse answers could be false, but like I said i'm no rattie expert.:o

Ooh, Kay has been studying! ;) Yep, hairless is a recessive gene, and they are just called hairless rats. They are pretty common now. There are no "breeds" of rats, just types.

Some good cage makers are www.martinscages.com and www.qualitycage.com and there are also people who make custom cages, such as Enchanted Forest cages. You can visit them online at www.enchanted-forest.biz

I would type a bunch more things out but if you search through pet general you will find my replies with tons of information. I usually do not recommend pet shops due to most of the rats being bred for feeders and by "puppymill" type breeders. I would most certaintly go with a breeder or you can also try Kim's Ark rat rescue. They do ratty trains to get rescues to new owners. :) I will try to locate a breeder in your area.

guster girl
05-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a hairless rat, and, I have seen them at several pet stores. I don't think they're that hard to find. Luli was a friend's rat and she was given to me. She was bought at a pet store. Rats are incredible pets. :)

My Peanuts
05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone!

I ran the idea past my mom and she was like, "why?" I don't think it's because she won't let me get one, but probably because I'm 23 and have had soooo many different animals over the years but never a rat. I'm pretty sure since I pay for and take care of all the pets with the acceptation of the dogs (I help with Syl and Harley, but they aren't my sole responsibility) it shouldn't be an issue if I get a rat.

So everyone agrees that it is a bad idea to have just one? Just curious.

My Peanuts
05-27-2004, 01:28 PM
I think I found a breeder!!! The website says near Chicago, and that's where I am. I wrote an email asking some information. I changed my mind about the hairless rats. I figured I don't want to limit myself to one type. I decided that which ever rat/rats I seem to bond with I will take home. I'm thinking I want two females. I don't care about appearnace at all, I just want two healthy yong females.

This breeder seems to be really responsible. He/she has the pedigree breakdown all the way to great grandparents. The only concern I have is that the website hasn't been updated since February.

Here is the site, check it out. Let me know if it looks good.

Ravensheart-ratty website (http://ravensheart.homestead.com/Ravens.html)

And here is what I wrote...
Hi, I'm interested in some information about your rats. First, let me give you a quick run down on my interests. I have never owned rats, but I have recently become interested. I have had gerbils and mice in the past. I am not even 100% sure if I am going to get rats yet or not. I just want to research as much as possible first. I looked at your website and you seem to be a really great responsible breeder. Plus, I think you are close to where I live; I live in Melrose Park. Anyway, I am thinking about getting a pair of females. I know there are a lot of different types, but honestly I am not well versed in that. These rats will be pets and appearance is not too important. I just want two healthy young females. If it is possible, can I have a price quote? I'm thinking if I can just get high end and low end prices that would be a good place to start. Also where in Chicago or what suburb are you located?
Thank you,
Diana Jejski

My Peanuts
05-28-2004, 12:27 PM
The breeder emailed me back! She has two young females and lives about 15 minutes from my house! Now I have to sit down with myself and really think about the responsibility I am taking on before I actually "take the plunge" :D :p

lv4dogs
05-28-2004, 01:27 PM
I know what your next post will say... 2 new additions LOL

They are great pets!

My Peanuts
06-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I know what your next post will say... 2 new additions LOL

They are great pets!

Oh I wish, but there has been a little set back. My cockatiel, Alex, appeared to be sick or possibly egg bound. I had to go to a family party (I had to drive because my mom won't drive on the highway) but my brother said he would take her to the emergency vet at 8pm. Anyway, she looked better, eating, climbing, etc before he left. He didn't take Alex in and now she seems fine. However, I have put my new additions on hold until I'm positive Alex is fine health wise and vet bill wise. I don't think it would be responsible or fair to Alex to concentrate my time on my new rattys and not her if she's sick.

So I'll have to wait a little while for my "new additions" post ;) :p