PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the New House

Sevens
05-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Well, we are boxing up and will be moving to our new house on Friday.

A couple of things are running through my mind right now.

First, I am so happy that we'll finally have a nice big house and big fenced yard for them to enjoy. I can't wait for them to see it.

However, a couple of bad things are running through my head, mainly about Guinness. This neighborhood we are moving into is the one where he came from. We got him from a couple we are friends with who live one street over from the new house. Their neighborhood is famous for people getting evicted and leaving their dogs to run stray, mostly because they know our friends will rescue strays. Guinness was stray for two months before she rescued him. I guess I'm just worried that it will bother him to be back in the old neighborhood.

Also, something else came to my attention. We are packing boxes and stacking them to get ready for the move. Guinness has been hiding in his crate and I thought it was because of the noise the packing tape dispenser makes. Then Brian said "Honey, he's probably worried that we are going to leave him behind. That's what those previous idiot owners did to him." Just the thought of that breaks my heart.

We are kenneling them on the day of the move with their vet. They have nice new boarding facilities and both dogs REALLY like going to that vet. (Bailey acts like she's going to Disneyworld everytime we go there).

Has anybody else had problems with their pets being upset because of moving? I just wish I could make Guinness understand that we will NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES leave him behind.

Cataholic
05-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Oh, Sevens, how sad. :( I don't know how you can really convey you are not leaving anyone behind. Because of your packing, and the stress (even good things cause stress!), they know something is up. Extra love and cuddles? And, making thier stay in the kennel as short as you can? Have you tried 'telling' them what is going on? Communication is important. Let them know exactly what is going on....Good luck.

Sevens
05-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Cataholic.:) We will be giving them both extra love and cuddles this week. And I have been telling them about the new house for the past month or so, I don't know if they understand.:)

My plan for the kenneling is to have some friends over the night before and have the moving van packed up with as much stuff as possible. Then my family will be coming in from out of town at 9am the next morning. Once they get here, I will take the dogs to the kennel (the kennel/vets office is 6 blocks up the street from our apartment). Then we'll take the moving van to the new house. I am hoping we can just do two trips with the van and we can get everything moved in about 4 hours or so.

We are getting an awesome deal on the "day-boarding"--$24 for both and they will feed them breakfast and dinner and take them out to play and give them attention/treats. That's a great price for this area.

Logan
05-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, Sevens, that everything will go just fine. Your babies are so sweet, but I'm sure they are confused. Our Honey is still afraid of a cardboard box to this day, after our moving experience over 1 1/2 years ago!!! :eek: I was so glad that I boarded both Honey and Lilly for a couple of days while we got settled into our new house.

Good luck!!!! And hugs to both of those precious "kids" of yours!!!! :)

cloverfdx
05-29-2004, 08:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear the moving process is stressing sweet Guiness out so much. Hopefully boarding both Bailey and Guiness for the day will be alot less stressfull to them.

You will all be in my thoughts that all goes well and everyone settles into their new home (With fully fenced yard) soon. :D