PDA

View Full Version : Ragdoll Cats

Pam
07-02-2000, 07:51 AM
Anyone out there have a ragdoll cat? My daughter researched this breed quite extensively and decided that, due to its docile temperament, this was what she was looking for. As it turns out, her little kitty, Gabe, is not as laid back as the breed is known for being. Although he does like to be in the midst of what is going on, and is as beautiful as he can be, he does not react well to strangers. He definitely has an aggressive streak. At the vet's he is know as a "cat with an attitude." Has anyone ever heard of this behavior in a ragdoll?

Kim
07-11-2000, 08:56 AM
Hi Pam. I too have a ragdoll with an attitude. She was going to be put to sleep by her previous owner, so when I got her she was not a kitten. The lady who owned her before said that she was very shy as well and did not come out when she had company. I do have to say though that she has never ever been aggressive with my children. Patience, patience, patience has made her a very wonderful member of our home. Good Luck!

JKRJG24
07-11-2000, 11:05 AM
I have a ragdoll named Nala and she has a verry bad atitude!!! She dose sleep with me at night but that is about the ONLY time she is a sweetie! For some reason she loves to bite my nose! She dosn't bite hard just enough to make you yell! When you run up the stares she runs behinde you and nips at your heels. And when I brush my teeth she rubs up against my legs and them bites them!!! It makes me yell! Her and my mom jet in little fights! My mom will pick her up and hold her like a baby(the way she likes to be held when she is in a good mood)and if Nala is in a bad mood she will slap my mom acoss the face! Luckly she is declawd so it dosn't hurt! So my mom slapps her back! Don't worry we don't abbuse her she just basicly taps her! I would never let her really hit her! Any way they just go back and forth hitting each other! To see the rest of her weird behavior go to the cats odd behivior! There are two difrent ones so make sure you see both! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited July 11, 2000).]

Pam
07-11-2000, 06:39 PM
Thank you both for your notes. I have passed these on to my daughter. I do think that part of Gabe's problem is just that he is fearful of strangers and not just a "bad" cat. He is very loving to my daughter and her husband but seems to see strangers as a threat of some kind. There really isn't anything in his kittenhood that could have caused this since she adopted him at about 8 weeks of age and, to the best of her knowledge, he came from a loving home. We will take your advice and have patience, patience, patience. She is thinking of getting a second cat. We have both read that often this helps cat #1 settle down. Also, he is alone a lot during the day and maybe he just needs a "buddy" to hang out with to mellow him out. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

summerskkye
07-15-2000, 02:18 AM
I have a Himmy-ragdoll. She's pretty sweet, though... except, that sometimes she does bite...it's usually when something is moving in an "interesting" way, though, and she never breaks the skin...so, I guess she's just playing, in a way, sort of her hunting instincts...She never bites strangers, though.
Good luck to your daughter http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif!!

bloomer
07-15-2000, 03:04 PM
I have two lynx-point ragdoll cross', Sophie is mitted. I find they are the most lovable, laid back cats ever, Otis heels, when you pet him and walk away, he prances beside you till you pet him some more.. so when friends come over we show them how Otis heels... they think he's smart.. we know he just wants more loving.. I would think my guys are a humalain cross because of their colouring.. they do have the feature of dropping down and letting all the joints hang when you pick them up, which is wonderful for a big hug,.. you can see my babies in their album at.. www.photopoint.com (http://www.photopoint.com) go to, visit album, type [email protected] and my album comes up.. this is a great site to show off your babies and it's free.. check it out..

Moira