PDA

View Full Version : Now I am thinking.....

Cataholic
05-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Noah's Mommy gave me paws (he he he) for concern. She mentioned that a new hooman CAN cause spraying...:eek: Anyone have any advice or experience on how I can best make the transition from child-less to child-ie, without stressing the herd? I was thinking of taking them all with me to the birthing room, you know, trying to make them feel included...but...well, I just don't know how the hospital would feel about that....

Help, anyone?

Maresche
05-26-2004, 07:56 AM
I've heard of families bringing something of the babies' home from the hospital before bringing the baby, to let critters get a snif in. Like a blanket.

Haven't tried it myself, as I don't have kids yet, but from what I understand it helps.

Also, set the nursery or babies stuff up in advance and let the kitties explore that. I'm not sure if I'd let them sleep in the crib though.

sirrahbed
05-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi Johanna,
I brought each of my babies home to multiple cats and never gave it much thought. They were either fascinated and protective towards the new babies or gave it a sniff and that was that. It never occurred to me to keep them away (except when my mom was there!:rolleyes: ) If the kitties are made to feel ignored or kept away - then they might feel some jealousy - but if you can just act as normal as possible..then there should be minimal concern. Are you worried about having the kitties around baby? Maybe think about how you feel about that. If so, you might want to close baby's door at night and when napping and use a monitor. I also had a friend who installed a screen door on the baby room because she had dogs. But, with mine, I just let the cats (I had three) have their usual run of the house. Only one was very interested and liked to get in the crib and keep watch.:D One of the cats that kept watch over my youngest, grew to form such a strong bond - it lasted until she was 18 years old and he died just last year - the week before her wedding!!:)

catlover4ever
05-26-2004, 08:05 AM
I can only tell you what my mom did 33 years ago when I was born. She had my dad go back to the house after I was born with a blanket that I had been wrapped in. By the blanket having my scent on it my dad let Major (the dog) and Tippy (the cat) smell the blanket to get familiar with my scent. My dad did this for the 3 days that my mom was in the hospital....the animals were very relaxed when I came home and I think it helped the animals feel more at ease with a new human.

I would probally also take some one on one time time with each animal and the baby. Quietly taking to the baby and the animals, this way the animals still feel special and it gets them accustomed to the baby with you there to supervise.

While I have not tried any of this..I don't have any skin kids, but this is probally what I would do.

catcrazylady
05-26-2004, 08:56 AM
I remember when my sister had a new baby and needed to stay with me for awhile. The biggest problem we had was that the cat kept getting in the crib with the baby. She meant her no harm and only wanted to snuggle but we caught her 16 lbs sleeping on the babies chest!!! Scared me to death! I know I read on PT somewhere that somebody put up a screen door so all the baby noises could be heard but kept the cats out of the room when unsupervised. Just a thought because it really scared me to see all that weight laying on a tiny babies chest. The cat loved that baby the whole time she was there and we let her snuggle as long as we could keep our eyes on her but no more sleeping in the crib with the little one. Just something to consider.

Cataholic
05-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks, guys. I will have the stuff set up ahead of time, and I do have a 'net' for the crib...maybe until the baby gets to be a few months old. I don't intend to keep the kitties out of the room, or the crib. I will have to see how it goes. I don't want them to stress cause of the baby. So, I will increase the time I spend with them.

CatMama78
05-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Unfortunately no advice as I haven't had this situation yet (paws crossed for the future :)) Although the others' ideas sounded great!

I just wanted to offer my congratulations for your new addition to the family and best wishes for a happy, healthy baby and a smooth transition for the furbabies.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-26-2004, 10:08 AM
The only experience I have with having babies is when my niece was born. My SIL wanted both brothers to be there when she was born. Unfortunately only the older one was able to stay awake, and amazingly he has a stronger bond with her than the younger/older brother (younger of the two boys, but still older than the girl). Anyway, this is a round about way of saying I think it's a fantastic idea to take the entire herd to the hospital with you! I think it would really create that stong bond and they would probably all be awed by the miracle of birth.....as long as mom was able to keep their food dishes full in the process. ;) :D :D

It used to be that hospitals didn't even let dad in the birthing room, and now look, dad can be there, sisters and brothers can be there, etc. I think you, Johanna Cataholic, needs to start a new trend in having pets in the delivery room so they create a bond with baby and therefore parents don't need to get rid of pets just because they're having a baby! What do you think, Jo, are you up for being a trend setter? ;) :D :D

moosmom
05-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Johanna,

What I tell people who are expecting is to take a baby blanket and rub the kid down with it and bring it home for the cats to smell. It will get them used to his scent.

When you come home, have someone else carry the kid in. This way you don't look like the bad guy who's brought a stranger into the house. Shower them with kisses, head skritches and tummy rubs, letting them know they are the best and you love them very much.

Then put the kid down on the floor in the carrier (the KID carrier, that is) ;) and let them come around and sniff him.

After that, let nature's take it's course. They'll come around.

Cinder & Smoke
05-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... you, Johanna Cataholic, needs to start
a new trend in having pets in the delivery room
so they create a bond with baby...
:D

OK, PurrKids -

LINE UP fur yur SKRUBz Fitting...
Le'see - we need 7 Masks, 7 Gownz, and :eek: 28 Bootiez...
OMG! Do they need to wear Hed Coverz, too??

Any Color Preferencez??
We do have a nice Pastel BLUE available. :)

Remembur - PAWz *must* be warshed b'fore *gownin up*!!

:D

ramanth
05-26-2004, 10:47 AM
It's Kitty ER! :D *giggles*

I'd alter a picture, but I work with a brother of one of the actresses on that show.

Though...he'd probably find it amusing. :D

Edwina's Secretary
05-26-2004, 12:34 PM
I just love the mental picture of the birthing room.....littered with Tuxie. One sitting at your head...washing his ears....a couple sitting in the window watching the world outside...and two batting medical instruments off the trays and chasing them around the floor.

Debbie...your sil had her other children in the birthing room???? Oh my, that might be more of my mother than I would want to see....:eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Debbie...your sil had her other children in the birthing room???? Oh my, that might be more of my mother than I would want to see....:eek:

You'd have to know my SIL.....and that's all I'll say on that subject except I'm happy to report she is now me EX-SIL...whew! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And they don't make these rolly eyes big enough to convey enough rolly eyed attitude for this subject. :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

trayi52
05-26-2004, 01:16 PM
I agree with Debbie and Donna. When I brought my babies home, I just done what I always done. If they want a look at that baby, let them. My cats were really aquainted with my youngest before she was born. She would purr into my naval, and Lindsey would just kick and move around like crazy.

But yes, I never gave them any reason to be jealous or feel like they weren't allowed around the baby. Of course you don't want a huge cat sleeping on the baby.

Things will work out, Johanna. I had three kids and had no problems with my dogs or cats.

Willie:)