PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Forest Cats

Betty
06-28-2000, 01:25 PM
Fell in love with Luther (June 17th Cat of The Day)!! Would love more information on Norwegian Forest Cats. Currently Kittyless, (our Maine Coon, Roxy died at age 11 and our Black Tabby, August, just died at 16) we will be looking for new babies to love and cuddle. It's a lonely world without kitties to love....

casmeow
07-04-2000, 06:28 PM
Luther is certainly a beauty! Our NFC is 5 yrs old and could be Luthie's double in looks only! According to Luther's mom, he's very hefty as our's is very petite. Plus she's VERY vocal & "talks" constantly while Luther is much quieter. We didn't realize Wispurr was a NFC when we found her, until I went to a cat show. She's always very loving and demands attention - how great is that?!I think a cat like this would be purrfect - and I would suggest possibly looking at your local shelters as Wisp was a stray and you may be lucky & find one like her there(then she/he would be lucky too).

Betty
07-04-2000, 06:48 PM
Casmeow,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and telling me about your baby cat - Wisp. She sounds very much like Roxy. Actually it seems NFCs and Maine Coons have many similar characteristics. Roxy was a very wild looking kitten - we had no idea about her heritage. She grew up into a beautiful Maine Coon mix with Black and Ginger Tabby markings. She wasn't huge, but had a very defined body style, very feminine, and an absolutely glorious tail which she used to flirt with, incessantly! Like Wispurr, Roxy was constantly chattering. Her voice was unique, not a meow but a squeaky multi levelled chirp that went on and on....

Your suggestion is excellent - thank-you. I have been in contact with several No-Kill shelters both in B.C. and the Hawaiian Islands(Hicat in Honolulu and the Kauai Humane Society)in my search for baby kittens. This has brought me in touch with some very special people - an interesting adventure.

I'll certainly keep you informed. Would love to see a picture of Wispurr!

bloomer
07-06-2000, 04:44 PM
I think NFC and Maine Coons are very special cats and have the best personalities. Very one person cats.. I have one, not sure if its a Main Coone or NFC, we say Main Coone, but because of his very square body frame and funny fur, (short at the head, and long to the full and bushy tail) the vet said he may be NFC.. either way we love him to bits, he wieghs 20lbs and is my soul mate.. and I am his Momma.. we've had him for 11 years and he is finally coming arround to my husband, Montana would always run or squirm if my husband tried to give him to much attention.. but finally he has come arround and my husband can actually hold him... Montana is the originaly talking tabby and has such a wide variety of sounds, sometimes he sounds like he is talking in sentences.. but about 3 years ago I had to put his companion to sleep, she was very sick.. and we got two ragdoll crosses from a no-kill vet clinic.. they are the most lovable animals, and effectionate.. non stop love..and Montana took to them instantly.. there was no fighting or hissing.. well Sophie the little one skirts arround Montanna, but that's because he's so big and she is only 5 lbs, and very tiny.. if and when I am looking for a new kitty.. I think I will definitly look at Ragdolls...

Betty
07-06-2000, 05:56 PM
Hi Bloomer! and thank you for telling me about your ragdolls - I am curious and don't know anyone who has one or has had one. You are right about Maine Coons and their selective behaviour - Roxy was devoted to her mommy, daddy and big brother August(who incidently was her hero from the moment they met, at the tender ages of 12 months (August) and 6 weeks (Roxy)). She did not like to be held for long or carried. However, when it was time to go to sleep at night, she was the most possessive cat and definitely a cuddler. She would curl up on my shoulder on my pillow, hold my hand under her chin and purr herself to sleep. In the morning, she would sit on the edge of the bed until I picked her up and carried her to the bathroom with me, where she kept me company (chattering away, of course) until I was ready to leave. She was protective and very territorial. August adored her and was a totally sad kitty when she died. They had been inseparable for 11 years.

I will definitely investigate ragdolls / ragdoll-cross. I'm so accustomed to living with kitties who have strong and loving personalities that these traits are the dominant things I'd look for in a kitten. Getting young kittens is our objective - although they are a handful, I wouldn't miss that experience for the world!!

casmeow
07-06-2000, 09:01 PM
Hi Betty! I tried to send you a picture of Wispurr Ann and sent it to "bloomer" by mistake as your e-mail address isn't posted.Anyway if you'd like to see it,let me know.

casmeow

bloomer
07-07-2000, 11:03 AM
High Betty.. I got a post from casmeow and she sent a picture of Whisper.. she is beautiful.. I notice that Montana'a head shape is different from Whisper's and the Cat of the Day today "Augie"..so I guess Montanna would be more Maine Coon.. but I have to tell you how loyal he is.. I have sleep anpnea.. and "Tanna" sleeps with me, I call him my guardian Angel because he seems to watch and listen to my breathing patterns, and has awoken me many times because my tongue has slipped down my throat and I'm having troble breathing.. I have felt his whiskers on my face sniffing to see if I'm breathing.. one time he swatted my head then put his paw under my nose and tried to lift my head.. sometimes I pretend to not pay attention to his attempts to wake me and he gets quite frantic.. and meows right in my face while swatting me with his paw.. I know I shouldn't cry wolfe, but his anticts are hilarious..

I sent casmeow pict of my two ragdoll cross's, Sophie and Otis.. they look like a long haired simese, their fur is soft like a bunny, but ther fur dosn't tangle. their tail look like feather plumes, they have lilac blue eyes, both are lynx point, (they have tabby faces and striped legs) sophie is mitted, so she has white paws and a white muzzle with a dark chin.. she always looks like she is saying "Oh OH".. email me and I'll send you pic's of my babies.. I'd love to see a pic of your Roxy and August..

casmeow
07-08-2000, 10:15 AM
Hi Bloomer! Montana looks more to me like a Maine Coon - not that I'm an expert - but I do know your 3 babies are beautiful! Will be sending to you & Betty pics of all our babies. Something else - our 2 black labs are so careful around the cats - it's all in how your raise them - they KNOW the kitties rule!
Originally posted by bloomer:
High Betty.. I got a post from casmeow and she sent a picture of Whisper.. she is beautiful.. I notice that Montana'a head shape is different from Whisper's and the Cat of the Day today "Augie"..so I guess Montanna would be more Maine Coon.. but I have to tell you how loyal he is.. I have sleep anpnea.. and "Tanna" sleeps with me, I call him my guardian Angel because he seems to watch and listen to my breathing patterns, and has awoken me many times because my tongue has slipped down my throat and I'm having troble breathing.. I have felt his whiskers on my face sniffing to see if I'm breathing.. one time he swatted my head then put his paw under my nose and tried to lift my head.. sometimes I pretend to not pay attention to his attempts to wake me and he gets quite frantic.. and meows right in my face while swatting me with his paw.. I know I shouldn't cry wolfe, but his anticts are hilarious..

I sent casmeow pict of my two ragdoll cross's, Sophie and Otis.. they look like a long haired simese, their fur is soft like a bunny, but ther fur dosn't tangle. their tail look like feather plumes, they have lilac blue eyes, both are lynx point, (they have tabby faces and striped legs) sophie is mitted, so she has white paws and a white muzzle with a dark chin.. she always looks like she is saying "Oh OH".. email me and I'll send you pic's of my babies.. I'd love to see a pic of your Roxy and August..

bettyinbc
07-10-2000, 12:48 AM
Casmeow - got your kitty pics today. WOW!! you are one busy lady! They are all terrific. Wispurr Ann is gorgeous - no doubt she struts....and so she should! Gotta keep those big guys in line - right?

Will email you soon.